The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best surgical EQ plugin for notch filtering
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

Best surgical EQ plugin for notch filtering

Hi all,

I am looking for some options on the best eq for super precise notch filtering; something to target and eliminate tight resonances often found in drum overheads or guitars recorded in less than ideal environments or with cabinets that have their own nasty resonances, etc.

I currently use Ozone 5's standalone EQ and the workflow is great because I can use the ALT-solo function followed by rolling the mousewheel to widen or narrow the solo'd freqencies while I hunt and visually confirm using the built in spectrum analyzer. This workflow is quick and great, however I assume there are better options as far as getting tighter q's better sonic quality.

Thoughts?
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blavidais View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for some options on the best eq for super precise notch filtering; something to target and eliminate tight resonances often found in drum overheads or guitars recorded in less than ideal environments or with cabinets that have their own nasty resonances, etc.

I currently use Ozone 5's standalone EQ and the workflow is great because I can use the ALT-solo function followed by rolling the mousewheel to widen or narrow the solo'd freqencies while I hunt and visually confirm using the built in spectrum analyzer. This workflow is quick and great, however I assume there are better options as far as getting tighter q's better sonic quality.

Thoughts?
Pro Q3 if you want ultimate workflow. Click and hold on the spectrum and it'll suggest frequencies. Hold down ALT and drag down on the points to fast create a dynamic EQ (auto threshold). The headphone icon near the point is amazing for clicking and dragging to identify the worst offenders.

For the best sound—to my ears—CraveEQ. Not dynamic but smooth and polished (analogue mode). Also has solo frequencies (double click the node). Sounds as good as Equilibrium in analogue mode (long impulse), but with far less CPU and only 1ms latency.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blavidais View Post
Thoughts?
Differences in tighter Q's handling are pretty much overrated IMO/IME.
You might find stories, how some EQ plugins are somewhat magically superior with regards to such tasks, but most contemporary EQs can be perfectly sufficient for surgical tasks.

If you're fine with bandwidth and rejection of filters in Ozone EQ (eg. its bells can be set tight enough to remove what you don't want), then it's O.K. and there's no bottleneck at its processing quality.
All Izotope effects are very competently designed, runs with enough precision, where needed. So there are no artifacts due to truncation, like at some old recursive EQs, which used single precision calculations.
Those artifacts can be easily provoked for example by some tight band filter at bass region and it immediately shows at some FFT analyzer. But as I've mentioned, if there's enough precision and good filter topology, it can mitigated to levels, which are far from some audible issues and can be assumed clean enough for such surgical tasks.

Also you can switch it between analog (normal recursive EQ) and digital modes (minimum, linear-phase or mixed with variable phase shift per band), when it might be advantageous (like in case you'd like to preserve phase relationship between two mic in stereo pair and apply EQ just to one channel or simply when it would sound better to your taste).
Just keep in mind, that there's no free lunch and you can basically only trade one aspect (phase shift) for another (pre-ringing).
Great tutorial is there..
YouTube

Another general thing regarding digital mode is, that it adds latency. The longer processing latency (filter length) is (you can set it in Ozone EQ preferences), the higher precision you have when filtering towards low frequencies. If you have set it to shorter one, then such filter can significantly deviate from intended shape (eg. you make tight cut with high Q and resulting curve will be much shallower then curve with the same parameters at higher frequencies). This curve "smoothing" is caused by used windowing function in such type of EQs.
When you increase the length, you'll gain more precision and this smoothing will be apparent later (eg. at lower frequencies).
Fortunately, this is nicely visualized in Ozone EQ graph (switch it digital mode, add some band at highs with high Q and attenuation and drag it to lows to see the effect).

The last generic thought is regarding compromise between ringing and bandwidth (or slope of filter), there is always direct relationship. The steeper and more intensive your filter is, more ringing occurs.
You simply can't trick that, it applies for every EQ and type of filter.
So you have always balance between maybe more natural sound with less apparent filtering and more selective (surgical) touches, which might be more effective with removing what you don't need, but also more obvious.

to be continued...

Michal
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

From more practical point.. You might try dynamic EQ, as mentioned in other post.
This can be very effective, when dealing with unwanted resonances.
You can often found, that fixed static filter is either too much or too weak for dynamic material, where resonances are mainly apparent and problematic during louder passages (typically you excite acoustic issues in room). By careful setup of threshold, you can set the filter to act only when necessary. So at softer passages, the material can be pretty much untouched (no gain change, phase shifts, no ringing), which might be very beneficial compared to fixed static filtering.

There are quite few products out there.
I personally like Sonnox Dynamic EQ very much. Also TDR Nova is very good and versatile dynamic EQ.. free version is great, but paid GE version (be sure to download its fully functional demo) has lot of useful improvements targeted exactly for your mentioned task.
There is very clever automatic smart ops feature, which can automatically learn from incoming material and prepare either static or dynamic filter starting point for you. On top of that, its dynamic function has switchable look-ahead, which significantly helps with treatment of quick events like transients.
Band soloing is also there for frequency hunting.

Michal
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yes for fully dynamic I'd opt for Nova or Nova GE.
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the detailed and thorough response! I am pretty happy with Ozone's eq for notching; I would just like slightly tighter notching I guess. The stock eq in Adobe Audition gets extremely tight Q's like a Weiss, so I was looking for something that could go that tight and maybe sound better. I like Brainworx but the functionality is clunky. I have actually got used to using Ozones EQ to hunt and seek and then used other eqs to do the actual work.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 28th January 2019
My vote would go to Pro-Q or ReaEQ. Both are excellent for the transparent, surgical thing.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

For 'notching', I use AIR-eQ. It has a 'Steep-Bell' selectable function.
Old 29th January 2019
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Soothe does the trick.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

TDR Slick EQ GE in japanese mode with the tight Q of the mid band. Amazing!

For dynamic another vote for TDR Nova (GE).
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear
Just tried out MIA Labs Green Eq. Although only one band it is very transparent at surgical tasks.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Guru

I've been using Waves Q10 for this a little bit lately. Heh heh. If it's good enough for Tom Elmhirst and Adele then I guess it's OK for me.

Fab Filter is probably the quickest and easiest thing I have used for this kind of work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search