The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface with Firewire?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Interface with Firewire?

Dear Slutz,

I have an old friend who's had a rough life, but he's back on track and is a talented announcer and musician.

Since he doesn't have a dime or a piece of equipment other than a guitar, I went digging through my old stuff that I've not been able to let go, to find two interfaces, both with good to decent mic pres. One is actually a control surface, with monitor controls and more. BUT, both have Firewire outputs.

OK, full disclosure here, I'm totally Firewire ignorant.

Are there easy Firewire to USB 2.0 converters? Turnarounds? Or other? How easy is it to convert a firewire output to a USB so that my friend can use his OK PC as his recording computer?

OR, is there a much simpler way to approach this?

Thanks, Guys,
Bob
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
There are no USB/FireWire converters of any type in either direction.

If the PC has a PCIe slot available, then a PCIe/FireWire adapter is the answer. Look elsewhere on GS for the recommended chip version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hello Bob. I mixed a record at your place once. Glad to see you on GS.

The firewire chipset you want is made by Texas Instruments. That’s the only way to go in the PC side in order to avoid problems. I know of many firewire interfaces that are no longer supported on current versions of Windows though. You want to make sure there are current drivers available for your interfaces.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In 2019 I would buy a cheap USB interface- any of the Focusrite's would do, rather than trying to find drivers for a FW interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
So, @Cajun Bob, it's time to reveal what two FireWire interfaces you're considering.

Just FYI, my "admin" computer is Win10 with an Echo AudioFire Pre8 on an Adaptec FireWire adapter, and all is well with that configuration. This is an example of a defunct brand whose drivers and control panel software continue to work far beyond anything that even smells like support.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the input

Guys thanks for everything.
I have a Alesis Multi Mix and a Macy onyx mixer to give my friend but both have FireWire output.
So, I’ll keep Looking for a reasonable newer interface, or Oviedo FireWire adapter.
Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search