The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PreSonus Quantum/Quantum 2 Audio Interfaces
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

PreSonus Quantum/Quantum 2

Got a couple of quick questions about these units, if anyone can help answer any of them. Looking at the Quantum 2 most likely, adding more channels via ADAT later, but also considering the Quantum... Will be using with a 2013 Mac Pro ("trashcan"). Any comments gratefully received!!

1/ Functional differences aside, is the Quantum 2 the same 'under the hood' as the Quantum? Same convertors, audio quality, drivers?

2/ If piping in more channels from a mixer/pre-amp supporting ADAT output - does this impact on latency at all? Likewise if I monitor via a high end convertor via the SPDIF out?

3/ I've seen a few disconcerting comments about the Quantum having hiss/noise.. just random Youtube comments I cannot pin further information - it might just relate the control room mic channel.. Anybody having issues with background noise?

4/Any particular Thunderbolt 2 cable recommended for use with the Mac Pro?

Before I take the plunge, any other thoughts for this configuration would be most appreciated! Are owners satisfied with their purchase?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixToTape View Post
Got a couple of quick questions about these units, if anyone can help answer any of them. Looking at the Quantum 2 most likely, adding more channels via ADAT later, but also considering the Quantum... Will be using with a 2013 Mac Pro ("trashcan"). Any comments gratefully received!!
1/ Functional differences aside, is the Quantum 2 the same 'under the hood' as the Quantum? Same convertors, audio quality, drivers?

Yes exactly the same

2/ If piping in more channels from a mixer/pre-amp supporting ADAT output - does this impact on latency at all? Likewise if I monitor via a high end convertor via the SPDIF out?

No impact at all

3/ I've seen a few disconcerting comments about the Quantum having hiss/noise.. just random Youtube comments I cannot pin further information - it might just relate the control room mic channel.. Anybody having issues with background noise?

I don't have any noise at all on my units, they sound great, very very happy.

4/Any particular Thunderbolt 2 cable recommended for use with the Mac Pro?

Just use as short as possible and good quality

Before I take the plunge, any other thoughts for this configuration would be most appreciated! Are owners satisfied with their purchase?

I absolutely love mine, I find it fantastic being able to do everything in the DAW, it's the most fun I have had working for years. I was previously using a much higher priced and very well respected unit, but honestly I wouldn't go back, I love this way of working, it's Solid, sounds great, very low latency, FYI, I have the same MacPro you are using. After using it nearly everyday for the last nine months I can't fault it, and everyone I work with has been very happy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I have a Quantum 2 and it works absolutely flawless with my iMac. Performance is fast and rock solid, I have nothing to complain about.
What I really like about the interface is ease of use. I don‘t have to hassle with any strange mixer software, it just works. I had an RME Bayface Pro before and clearly prefer the Quantum.
I can highly recommend the Quantum. Buy the interface, you won‘t regret it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search