The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you like eLicenser? DAW Software
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Lives for gear
Do you like eLicenser?

Just a question. Opinions?
Old 5 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Yes.
Old 5 days ago
  #3
Gear Head
 
groovyomega's Avatar
 

Yes, I do, because it protects my investment (relatively) well. eLicenser protected software is hardly available as crack - and the dongle or the soft eLicense doesn't bother me.
Old 5 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Now that iLok has the 90-day licence refresh to help deal with the lost dongle problem (yes you have to pay for it but at least it's there) and seems to have stabilised in terms of software SNAFUs, I think I prefer iLok to eLicenser. I also have fewer plugin startup problems with iLok than eLicenser (the "POS" driver flaking out).

Overall, as I'm about to upgrade a machine now is the time dongles come into their vs the fun and games deactivating various C/R plugins (or working out whether I'm going to have to ask for another activation).
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Gear Nut
I only use it for Cubase, but it's never been a problem for me.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

The elicensers build quality is a shame. ilok3 is much much better. When traveling, i always think about how to protect the fragile plastic. I have already had 2 elicensers break in parts.
On the other hand the elicenser has an advantage for users who work with different machines. It works together with a USB sharing switch flawlessly, while ilok doesn't. The ilok thinks, it is shared by 2 different computers at the same time and denies operation. Of course the reason to switch between computers is not to cheat on licensing. I use the USB switch to connect a MIDI keyboard, some controllers and the elicenser to save on connecting everything to 2 different computers (mac and windows). Obviously i can not work on both computers at the same time. It's a shame that i have to connect the ilok by hand everytime, when switching. Also some plugins like autotune only allow for one single authorization, so there is no way to authorize both computers. I wish that ilok would change this policy, as I wish elicenser would improve its build quality.
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxInABox View Post
The elicensers build quality is a shame. ilok3 is much much better. When traveling, i always think about how to protect the fragile plastic. I have already had 2 elicensers break in parts.
On the other hand the elicenser has an advantage for users who work with different machines. It works together with a USB sharing switch flawlessly, while ilok doesn't. The ilok thinks, it is shared by 2 different computers at the same time and denies operation. Of course the reason to switch between computers is not to cheat on licensing. I use the USB switch to connect a MIDI keyboard, some controllers and the elicenser to save on connecting everything to 2 different computers (mac and windows). Obviously i can not work on both computers at the same time. It's a shame that i have to connect the ilok by hand everytime, when switching. Also some plugins like autotune only allow for one single authorization, so there is no way to authorize both computers. I wish that ilok would change this policy, as I wish elicenser would improve its build quality.
Are you using it bus-powered or with its own DC adapter? ILoks and dongles in general are fussy about power because messing with power is a common hacking technique. So they often see the fluctuations on the USB power rails as a potential attack and shut down until the power is removed so they can reset. That might be the issue more than it sensing the presence of a different machine - I assume the hub only shows one machine at a time until switched to the other and I’m a bit surprised the iLok would take notes.
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

The hub is bus powerd by both computers. I don‘t know if there are any power fluctuations, if you measure the iloks power rail. I will try to find out. An indication that the power isn’t disrupted during a switch is that the ilok still works on the other computer after switching back.
Pulling the ilok out and immediately re-insert it, will let it work again.
Never had an issue with the elicenser, while the ilok always stops working after a switch between computers.
Does anybody know an USB switch with power disruption to cross check if this will work?
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Works flawlessly for me.
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxInABox View Post
The hub is bus powerd by both computers. I don‘t know if there are any power fluctuations, if you measure the iloks power rail. I will try to find out. An indication that the power isn’t disrupted during a switch is that the ilok still works on the other computer after switching back.
Pulling the ilok out and immediately re-insert it, will let it work again.
That's interesting - I didn't expect that. My mistake. It does sound like there's some communication between the computer driver and the iLok that goes on in the background that, if it's interrupted, the iLok refuses to respond. But if powered down (removed) the session gets reset ready for a new machine.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
sleepingtiger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxInABox View Post
The hub is bus powerd by both computers. I don‘t know if there are any power fluctuations, if you measure the iloks power rail. I will try to find out. An indication that the power isn’t disrupted during a switch is that the ilok still works on the other computer after switching back.
Pulling the ilok out and immediately re-insert it, will let it work again.
Never had an issue with the elicenser, while the ilok always stops working after a switch between computers.
Does anybody know an USB switch with power disruption to cross check if this will work?
I share an ilok between home and studio computers over the internet using VirtualHere. It works great but I always have to unplug the ilok from my studio computer and plug it in again to my little server box to make the switch. When I tried to share it from one computer without unplugging it would never work which I learned is a "feature" built into the ilok. It always has to be freshly plugged in to be "seen" by the new computer. I'm pretty sure this is part of their system of making sure that it can't be used on two computers at the same time.
Old 4 days ago
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Rapollo's Avatar
No, because I can't find mine
Old 3 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
charlieclouser's Avatar
 

I have six of them. Three for Vienna Ensemble Pro (only one of these three is on my main DAW), another for Cubase, and another for various soft synths like Waldorf, XILS-Lab, Korg, etc. - but those are gradually being replaced with newer licensing schemes.

About one time in ten one of the three e-Licensers on my main machine will fail to wake up, so when I boot VEPro it throws an error dialog. Quit and re-launch and all is well. But still... it's annoying and I worry that deeper troubles may be just around the corner.

I actually prefer iLok. I have, I think, sixteen iLoks that I've accumulated over the years, of all three generations. I've only ever had one fail on me, because I bent the damn thing when it was temporarily sticking out of the front of a silver Mac Pro tower. I paid I think $100, sent it them, and they sent me back a fresh one loaded with all of my licenses in about a week or so. Now I've migrated all of my important licenses to third-generation iLoks (the metal ones) with ZDT (but not TLC, which requires a phone-home connection every 90 days or licenses stop working!) and it's been smooth sailing.

Never lost a license yet. (knock wood).
Old 2 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
About one time in ten one of the three e-Licensers on my main machine will fail to wake up, so when I boot VEPro it throws an error dialog. Quit and re-launch and all is well. But still... it's annoying and I worry that deeper troubles may be just around the ).
Mine did this last night a few times, moved it to a different usb slot and went through the "e-licenser maintenance" process and all was well.

Just had a thought, does anyone know how active it is as a device ? In other words does it do a lot of interrogating/checking activity ? I wonder if such devices could be behind some of the DPC interrupts and clicking or popping behaviour that are frequently noticed in computer recording ?

If someone can clarify how they work (and how intensively) that might be interesting....if not helpful in eliminating iLoks and eLicensers as guilty parties in the click/pop stakes
Old 2 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
charlieclouser's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Mine did this last night a few times, moved it to a different usb slot and went through the "e-licenser maintenance" process and all was well.

Just had a thought, does anyone know how active it is as a device ? In other words does it do a lot of interrogating/checking activity ? I wonder if such devices could be behind some of the DPC interrupts and clicking or popping behaviour that are frequently noticed in computer recording ?

If someone can clarify how they work (and how intensively) that might be interesting....if not helpful in eliminating iLoks and eLicensers as guilty parties in the click/pop stakes
Yeah, the odd "not found" issue with my e-Licensers hasn't been a work-stopper - yet. I have all of my iLoks and e-Licensers on a D-Link 7-port powered USB2 hub plugged into my 2013 Mac Pro cylinder.

I have no concrete info on how "busy" those things are, but I'd imagine they get pinged whenever a plugin that requires them is instantiated - so whenever you insert a plugin or load a project that has those plugins. That said, I think if you load up a song with a bunch of plugs, then disconnect the e-Licenser or iLok, after X minutes it will throw an error, so it's not strictly pinging the key only on instantiation, but is actually checking to make sure you didn't just plug in the key, load up the song, then unplug the key. It's been years since I tried that though.

I have no issues with clicks and pops, but I'm on Mac with a Thunderbolt audio interface rig, so USB is only being used for license keys, trackball+keyboard, and a couple of MIDI controllers - I have no audio interfaces on USB.
Old 2 days ago
  #16
Gear Nut
 

I find my steinberg one is finicky when it plugged into usb hubs, its always got to be plugged directly in or it poops itself.
Old 2 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
Thanks for that info charlieclouser, next time I fire up the audio pc I'll activate the 'system processes' analyser and see how it ranks against comparable devices in the busy-ness stakes.

Maybe you could try the same with Activity Monitor on your Mac and see if it adds anything to the load ? I'd expect these licensers not to inflict a CPU intense load...but how often they operate will be interesting to investigate. If I remove my eLicenser while Wavelab 8.5 is running, it stops pretty much immediately with a 'lost dongle' alert.
Old 2 days ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

The last time i tried to unplug the elicenser while Cubase was running i noticed that Cubase running on Windows immediatly detects the disconnectd elicenser while under MacOS Cubase runs for hours until you try to load (or maybe save) a project. Not absolutely sure what causes Cubase polling under MacOS, but you can definitely do certain things without the elicenser.

I also had some license not found messages after plugging the elicenser to different computers. But this was always solved by running maintenance in the elicenser control center.
Old 2 days ago
  #19
Yes, very unproblematic the last 20something years. For some, being able to use a soft only version would be appropriate.
Old 2 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

If only it, like ilok, allowed two or more activations I would like it.
rsp
Old 2 days ago
  #21
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
If only it, like ilok, allowed two or more activations I would like it.
rsp
My eLicenser allows me to keep Wavelab versions 8.5, 9.9 and 9.5 on my computer and to run any of them at any time....or do you mean having Cubase and Wavelab on the same key ?
Old 2 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
My eLicenser allows me to keep Wavelab versions 8.5, 9.9 and 9.5 on my computer and to run any of them at any time....or do you mean having Cubase and Wavelab on the same key ?
No activations.
Many ilok products now allow me to have two activations (some even 3) per license.. so I can have the same product on my two music computers without having to move the dongle each time. One on each of my computers from one software license purchase.
elicenser I still have to buy each product twice to allow me to have it on my mac and pc.
rsp

Last edited by zvenx; 2 days ago at 06:25 PM..
Old 1 day ago
  #23
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
elicenser I still have to buy each product twice to allow me to have it on my mac and pc.
rsp
I can run Wavelab 8.5 on both a MacBook Pro and a PC laptop, with only a single purchase of the program, but I do have to swap the eLicenser between the machines...
Old 1 day ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

Exactly my point. Without having to move the dongle.
rsp
Old 1 day ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
e6400ultra's Avatar
 

"Like" seems like a strong word for this type of utility. It's "meh".
Old 13 hours ago
  #26
Gear Head
NO! NO! NO! I will not buy any music software protected by eLicenser.

My eLicenser has got hardware error 18 days before and "Vengeance" want from me shipped physically to them. I shipped but still waiting.


In this case I can't use my software. It's not acceptable.


And If you store more than one software which has different firms you have to ready for lost all licenses.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
javahut / Music Computers
16
clearwave / Steinberg Cubase + Nuendo
15
Agurvitz / Music Computers
2
kgdrum_nyc / Music Computers
4
Sigfried Chicken / Music Computers
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump