The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Velocity in Addictive Drums Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5 days ago
Velocity in Addictive Drums

I'm working on a new EP for my band Thieves & Lovers (shameless plug! ) and I'm choosing to do all of the drums in Addictive Drums. I've used the program for years so it know it pretty well, but I've run into an interesting issue.

When building up the songs I use a combination of the song sections they offer, some standard beats/fills, and some parts drawn in the piano roll.

I've ended up with a drum part that has varying velocities (sometimes drastically). I obviously need to go through and even this out in the piano roll, but how do you guys go about choosing which velocity to use as the average? I.e. 100 for cymbal crashes, 99 for snare hits, etc.?

I know that there needs to be a little difference to humanize it, but what do you go for as a baseline? Whatever velocity outputs to -18dBfs (0VU)?

I'd also like to keep it fairly consistent to avoid using compression, etc. in mixing since the samples even w/o FX are still pretty compressed.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 5 days ago
really, it's dependent on the drum library. As drummer, i get the perspective that the higher the velocity, the harder the sampled attack (assuming the VI developer and drummer did it correctly). But it will all be based on the library.

When i build a drum track that i built with Superior drummer, it won't sound right if i change it over to Steve Slate Drums. The velocities don't translate over.

I would say the important thing is to understand the groove drummers use to playing. Most of my music is progressive metal/rock so i come at it from a metal drummer perspective and not so much of a jazz drummer.

What does that mean? My KD and SD for attack purposes are up there, around 122-127. but my SD ghost notes for accents is down in the 40's, barely audidble.

Ride cymbals and crash ride technique, gotta think like a drummer. Most are thinking moeller technique, where the accent on a hi hat, ride or crash ride is every other hit. On an open hi hat groove, playing 8th notes, i would alternate between, 115 and 60 (yes, variate it as well.) so your down beat is heavier than the upbeat.

finally, programming your drums all at 127 because you wanna death metal the hell out of them, will sound robotic. Don't be afraid to humanize both your velocity and quantizing.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I'm working on a new EP for my band Thieves & Lovers (shameless plug! ) and I'm choosing to do all of the drums in Addictive Drums. I've used the program for years so it know it pretty well, but I've run into an interesting issue.

When building up the songs I use a combination of the song sections they offer, some standard beats/fills, and some parts drawn in the piano roll.

I've ended up with a drum part that has varying velocities (sometimes drastically). I obviously need to go through and even this out in the piano roll, but how do you guys go about choosing which velocity to use as the average? I.e. 100 for cymbal crashes, 99 for snare hits, etc.?

I know that there needs to be a little difference to humanize it, but what do you go for as a baseline? Whatever velocity outputs to -18dBfs (0VU)?

I'd also like to keep it fairly consistent to avoid using compression, etc. in mixing since the samples even w/o FX are still pretty compressed.

Thanks for your advice!
Check out the beats window in AD2. Go to the transform header, you can determine the velocity dynamic of the midi beats. Then drag them in your daw. I would also check the quantisation of the midi files. They can differ quite a bit.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
Check out the beats window in AD2. Go to the transform header, you can determine the velocity dynamic of the midi beats. Then drag them in your daw. I would also check the quantisation of the midi files. They can differ quite a bit.
I'm working in AD1 if that matters? There are different types of beats, some are song sections. Should I use the song sections as the basis for velocity, since they are *in theory* a drummer playing an actual song part and not just a 4 on the floor beat?

Love AD btw. I've used Superior and Slate drums and just prefer AD.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search