The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid protools 2019 .... ? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Let it go fellas...
Let it go.
You are right.....I quit. Sorry for the drag...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let it go fellas...
Let it go.
See... yer too good to call yourself Dr. Evil!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Both. Although my iLok assets are still listed as Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD. I don't find $999 for Ultimate that bad, though... particularly if I run it for 3 or 4 years.

I certainly prefer the old way where I might get updates for 2-3 years after buying, say PT 10, but so be it. Nobody is forcing me to upgrade. I have Dolby Atmos and Ambisonics in PT 12. I'm in STILL in no rush to update. I'll see what happens with whatever their doing to the engine.
That sounds like a great plan then.
If your computer hardware will not change during that time and have no huge show stopper bugs. I have my annual plan running and when that lapse will not renew, will keep the best version available and if/when i feel ProTools have advanced and worth the fee may come back. Having Logic Pro and Studio One 4, i am pretty covered by options. Not planning to update my macPro 2013 or iMac Pro anytime soon...

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...how comes i read "avoid' protools 2019?!

A secret message, for the few who can read behind the lines....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak View Post
If your computer hardware will not change during that time and have no huge show stopper bugs.!
I still have a Mix Plus 4 system that runs PT 5 on a G4 with Mac OS 9 on it.

The modem is converted to a serial port for MIDI... nice and tight timing! That machine has relic plugins... Universal Audio TDM ones even. Very rarely gets used, but when necessary, people pay happily! I have a few setups that I've frozen in time when technology and OSes are moving on.

More recently, I still have a bunch of clients that work in PT 10. That's why I like perpetual licenses. I'll still often work in PT 10. Someone may come in and want to use some of my synths through pres and comps, etc. May want to do a couple vocals through a $ (money) chain of mics, pre, eq, comp, converter... then go an their merry way. Perpetually no problem.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...how comes i read "avoid' protools 2019?!
Sh!te... I thought it said... Avoid Pro Tools 2018!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

The modem is converted to a serial port for MIDI... nice and tight timing! That machine has relic plugins... Universal Audio TDM ones even.

You have your "6" covered, even when A.I. takes over the planet. Old technology is immune to those attacks.
You never know....maybe that G4 is the last hope for humanity in the future!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have your "6" covered, even when A.I. takes over the planet. Old technology is immune to those attacks.
You never know....maybe that G4 is the last hope for humanity in the future!

Another reason I like perpetual. MUST be able to go off-grid!

I LOVED that G4 when it came out. Looked cool... not a sh!tty beige colour. The way it opened so quick. Then I heard it was 'more powerful than the tech NASA had for the moon landing.' I was a fanboy. Drove my (PC) friends NUTS! To back it up, I bought 100 Irish pounds worth of Apple stock and framed the paperwork! True story. What an ar$ehole!

I sold it not long after the iPhone came out. That was a bad move. I also should have bought $10k's worth! An investor I am not. Still have the G4, but too bad I couldn't trade the original value of it in for Apple stock at 1999 prices. Probably worth about $350,000 today. Ouch!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Another reason I like perpetual. MUST be able to go off-grid!

I LOVED that G4 when it came out. Looked cool... not a sh!tty beige colour. The way it opened so quick. Then I heard it was 'more powerful than the tech NASA had for the moon landing.' I was a fanboy. Drove my (PC) friends NUTS! To back it up, I bought 100 Irish pounds worth of Apple stock and framed the paperwork! True story. What an ar$ehole!
Tell me about it! We had the G4 mirror door one. From the blue G3s and older beige ones....that was a jewel. I still remember people who came in the studio asking...."what is that?? " ( Most people back then, have known "Apple" brand from the underwear! ) Used that machine with Motu Digital Performer and the PCI 2408 mkII audio interface. Was running like a charm.... Oh brother....you remind me of some good o'times ... Thank you!

Avid protools 2019 .... ?-unknown.jpeg

Quote:
I sold it not long after the iPhone came out. That was a bad move. I also should have bought $10k's worth! An investor I am not. Still have the G4, but too bad I couldn't trade the original value of it in for Apple stock at 1999 prices. Probably worth about $350,000 today. Ouch!
Oh crap...
If you only knew....oh well...
Attached Thumbnails
Avid protools 2019 .... ?-unknown.jpeg  

Last edited by Aziak; 1 week ago at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Added pic
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The Protools UI is pure comedy. 26 years in the making and it looks the same. It's like DOS Graphics from the 80s
It is the best UI so far. The graphics are fantastic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
Absolutely true. Looks great on retina displays too. Maybe is the thing, i will miss more in case i have to abandon PT in the future. In hope that Avid will get their $h1t together...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's also very little I'm starting to NEED from Ultimate as well. Delay compensation on sidechains is nice... but I'm sure that will arrive in Vanilla soon.
Just to be clear, ADC on sidechains is currently an HDX feature only, you do not gain it with Ultimate software only.
It does not work currently on HD Native either, for example.

I bet it will come too and hope that it will be sooner rather than later.

my workaround for lack of ADC on sidechains is to freeze the channels/busses that contribute to the sidechain. That way they send as though they didn't have plugs on them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As do I, Well a mix plus and a bunch of dsp farm d24 crap to to get IO.
I used to mix on a desk...
(now I mix on the floor, in a wifebeater like a right modern twat)

Last edited by ~ufo~; 1 week ago at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Defined the old article
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On the PT GUI.

Back in the 0S9 G4 PT5.1 days, I used to rave about how cubase etc gave me headaches if I had to stare at them all day.
The grey, scientific look of OS9 and PT was much easier on the eyes in my experience.
I was even a little annoyed when PT went all bold and colourful with v8.
I do use colours now, but that transparency or whatever dial in the colours window is key... Easy on the colours. Just enough to help you differentiate between tracks.

Ah bless.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to be clear, ADC on sidechains is currently an HDX feature only, you do not gain it with Ultimate software only.
Sorry... well spotted. I mentioned HDX a little later in the paragraph, but should have been clearer.

Quote:
JI bet it will come too and hope that it will be sooner rather than later.
Yeah. I know they've always held a few things back, supposedly for "perceived value" for HDX owners. I wish they'd stop that silliness.

I recorded a band a few weeks ago. 5 piece cover band that tours all over the place (rarity these days). We were recording as many as 28 tracks at a time, 5 headphone feeds, plus one for me. Lots of plugins. 42 songs were recorded, mixed and mastered in two days. They're TIGHT! Two punch-ins for the bass player, one for the singer out of the whole thing. Impressive! Mixes were mostly... set faders to 0. Anyway... could it be done natively? Perhaps. Maybe with some latency issues, but these guys would be out the door if that was happening.

Also have a friend that mixes for TV and film. Pretty much all in the box. Large HDX system for him. But would he be pissed about non-HDX Ultimate users getting sidechain delay compensation... or mixing in 7.1 in Vanilla? Uhhhhhhhhh... no.

Quote:
my workaround for lack of ADC on sidechains is to freeze the channels/busses that contribute to the sidechain. That way they send as though they didn't have plugs on them.
Nice. Top Tip!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As do I, Well a mix plus and a bunch of dsp farm d24 crap to to get IO.
My brother!
Quote:
I used to mix on a desk...
(now I mix on the floor, in a wifebeater like right modern twat)
Hahahahahaha... that's EPIC!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
Quote:
Absolutely true. Looks great on retina displays too.
Testify!

Sheesh... Cubase 10 and Digital Performer get a nice refresh and now everyone wants to be a hero!

There's 99 things I'd love to see done in PT, but the GUI ain't one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do use colours now, but that transparency or whatever dial in the colours window is key... Easy on the colours. Just enough to help you differentiate between tracks.
My brother!

I went to the colors kicking and screaming. Probably wasted a good few hours over time by stubbornly not using them. Transparency dial is yer man. Just a little tint.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Apple? So we can have another FCP X fiasco? No thanks. Apple as a new owner would be the absolute worst case scenario.

Alistair
Can't be a worse fiasco then what Avid got going on right now. Just saying.

If you want to create hardware DSP farms in order to offload CPU/GPU constraint on computer limitations; just created a universal standard that's applicable to all plug-in formats instead of selling outdated dongles that will lose their price the second they get released.

Avid is the equivalent of Jay-Z; when it comes to milking the system for profit.

The difference is that; he should be 80 times richer then he is if he got the money he actually deserves; while Avid according to its stock performance; is a pretty lousy return on investment according to its stock price and that Sean Carter actually gives back to his own community; which is waaay more than you can say about Avid.

Hell; Waves listened; but with Avid......you better get used to listening to the crickets until Donald irritates the Chinese and they deliver a mushroom cloud on that wall he is trying to build.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Back to PT 2019

Getting back to the opening theme, just one question
Does anybody have any confirmation that the 32 I/O limit is NOT going to be “expanded” for PT Ultimate SW only users? There is mention of ‘track count” in the NAMM video...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
Hell; Waves listened; but with Avid...
But what can you do with a Waves box on its own? Or Universal Audio DSP plugins. Now Antelope and Apogee are at it, too... others I'm sure as well.

With Pro Tools, you can record, edit, mix, master right out of the gate. Use AAX DSP, AAX, throw in Blue Cat Patchworks and you can do VST and AU as well. No wrappers, no "consoles" or the like. Works for me.

And who knows what Avid's next DSP solution will be (if there is one). Could look very similar to Waves' box. Or GPU based. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
...you better get used to listening to the crickets until Donald irritates the Chinese and they deliver a mushroom cloud on that wall he is trying to build.
Wow... you got a happy place to get to? Hopefully yer not waiting for Trump Tower, North Korea.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As far as I know they said nothing about the io limitation. I wouldn’t expect a thing on that.
But nothing’s off the table regarding that topic. Since Avid doesn’t seem to be in the interface game anymore, I wonder if that’s an incentive for them to lift the io restriction.
I doubt they’ll launch more cards or thunderbolt interfaces too.
Maybe just an HD native TB replacement that is expandable and some seperate x64 based processing servers for those who need/want them.
It might not move as quickly but I do expect them to lift the native crippling step by step. But, they’ve said nothing on it afaik.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
Does anybody have any confirmation that the 32 I/O limit is NOT going to be “expanded” for PT Ultimate SW only users?
I haven't heard. Wait and see mode. But if I were a gambling man, I'd probably say... no expansion. I love pleasant surprises, though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Somebody on the DUC...

"Community: "WE WANT FOLDER TRACKS!"
AVID: "You want MORE TRACKS? Awesome, here you go!""

That's some pretty funny shiz right there! Tragicomedy.

Still... open to pleasant surprises.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But what can you do with a Waves box on its own? Or Universal Audio DSP plugins. Now Antelope and Apogee are at it, too... others I'm sure as well.

With Pro Tools, you can record, edit, mix, master right out of the gate. Use AAX DSP, AAX, throw in Blue Cat Patchworks and you can do VST and AU as well. No wrappers, no "consoles" or the like. Works for me.

And who knows what Avid's next DSP solution will be (if there is one). Could look very similar to Waves' box. Or GPU based. Who knows.

Wow... you got a happy place to get to? Hopefully yer not waiting for Trump Tower, North Korea.

I get that but the problem is on the R&D end of things.

Even though there is limitations to exponential growth on the hardware side; it safe to assume that computer hardware and software will get more powerful; so instead of every single developer adhering to their "eco-system" (I hate the miss use of that term; human made systems INCLUDING corporate; financial; or legal frameworks are NOT eco-systems!!!!!!) there should be a universal standard for off-loading DSP/GPU resources on their computers for those people who don't want to go through the trouble of investing in Avid (I love my flush mounted DSM'2's but that's probably the last thing developed by Avid I'm gonna sink money in; untill the day they get some competent executives).

I understand that Protools is a tool that alot of professionals throughout the planet use and rely on in order to mix and edit music, sound etc; but (and this is a BIG but(t); and I am not talking Cardie B here......) from that vantage point I have to agree with the people that think that Avid under delivers on the innovation/value on investment side of the equation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It might not move as quickly but I do expect them to lift the native crippling step by step. But, they’ve said nothing on it afaik.

...and that is their big issue....Avid pacing like a brontosaurus, they might have the impression that people will wait forever for them, to lift stupid limitations, implement features they should have already done, etc...but that's not the case. In that age and era, you have two options.....move fast or eat the dust!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...and that is their big issue....Avid pacing like a brontosaurus, they might have the impression that people will wait forever for them, to lift stupid limitations, implement features they should have already done, etc...but that's not the case. In that age and era, you have two options.....move fast or eat the dust!

Cheers!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Somebody on the DUC...

"Community: "WE WANT FOLDER TRACKS!"
AVID: "You want MORE TRACKS? Awesome, here you go!""

That's some pretty funny shiz right there! Tragicomedy.

Still... open to pleasant surprises.
Yeah!!

It’s not always good to move fast. By norm, changing something on established or “standard” products takes longer, and in this case much longer
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

My JH24 lasted me well over 15 years. Never had an update. Never got "left in the dust". My D&R Console never got an update. I never felt it was left in the dust. My 480L never got an update (although I think they were available, I just didn't see the need). It's worth far more now than when I sold it. My PTHDX2 system HAS had updates. Works better than when I started on it. Not seeing the need to race for "new features" against the "competition".

Honestly, if I could freeze things as they are and have no new OS "updates" and no incremental software "updates". I'd be 100% happy. Of course that's dreamland. But the incessant "race" for features is silly IMO. It does what it does, it does it well, and it keeps on kicking.

Left in the dust? I'm happy there. I'll drop back a bit so I don't have grit in my teeth. You guys can duke it out for the lead while the rest of us just get to work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's way overdue...

Lot's of interface options via Dante and removing the arbitrary 32 I/O limit would make Dante simple. The HDX card and HD to Dante bridge is pretty much a work around.

It would be as simple as adding a Dante PCIe card and connecting a cable without the I/O limit. Then you'd be able to fully use Pro Tools with current audio networking technology.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search