The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LG 43 inch Ultrawide or 4K TV? DAW Software
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

LG 43 inch Ultrawide or 4K TV?

I’ve recently decided to switch to Cubase Pro 10 and also incorporate Harrison Mixbus 32c. It’s long time to dump my smaller monitors, and maybe it’s my age, lol, but I’m finding myself leaning into the screens to see some details, sometimes.
The LG I think will fit the bill, and hopefully can take advantage of the new HiDP resolution for the main screens that Cubase offers, and less wheel scrolling, etc.
But, with prices coming down on 4K TVs, I’m wondering if I can get something that really works just as well, and save a few hundred. What do you think? Anyone have issues as a slow refresh rate? I know it’s not like gaming, but I wouldn’t want a lag between hearing the music and seeing what’s happening on the screen.
If anyone is using a large format 4K for monitoring with music software, what models are you working with?
Old 9th January 2019
I still am a big fan of a 40" 4K monitor @ 60Hz. I don't like the lower vertical resolution on the ultrawides, although the monitors are pretty nice. They might be too wide for a solid monitoring setup as well if you sit close to your screen.
Note that 40" 4K requires good eyes or glasses. However, smaller makes everything too small, larger makes it hard to see the corners. For that, a curved display might help, but that is not everybody's taste.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

My main display is a 49" 4k TV (a Sony Bravia 49XF7596 to be exact) with a secondary 27" 1440p screen off to my left.

No issues with response time/refresh rate - it runs at 60fps, and nowadays most TVs have a "game/pc" mode that switches off a lot of the image enhancement processing that contributes to input lag. On my model, that preference can be set on a per-input/per app basis, so you can have all the fancy MotionFlow image processing stuff if you're watching a movie, and have an accurate, fast display when working/gaming*.

It's positioned so it sits between, and just slightly behind the front edge of my main (nearfield) monitors, and I haven't come across any significant translation issues with my mixes.

For me, a large 4k display really works with the newer Cubase workflow that Steinberg are pushing, which is for people to make use of the lower zone rather than opening windows to edit stuff - I never really found this practical on a 1440p display, but 4k gives you enough screen real estate for things to be useful and not look too cluttered.

The main annoyance with Cubase 10 is that they removed like 80% of the right-click context menu, so you'll want to bind your most-used actions to hotkeys, unless you want to be constantly scrolling all the way up to the top menu bar just to "move to origin" or any of the other 20 functions they decided to get rid off from the most convenient place...

As DAWPLUS mentioned, anything smaller running at 4k makes text too small to comfortably read, which means you then either spend all day squinting, or end up scaling to 125% which kinda negates the point of the 4k display in the first place.
For me, 49" is the perfect sweet spot - big enough that it pretty much fills your vision, and things can be read comfortably from a few feet away, not so big that I have to constantly move my head to see the edges of the screen.

* If you play fast FPS games, you will notice a bit more input lag than you're probably used to with a monitor, but your muscle memory starts to compensate within a few days. This isn't an issue at all when working in Cubase/Windows in general, as we're only talking a few extra ms, but make sure you check this, as not all TVs are created equal, and some will have unacceptable/noticeable input lag. I specifically chose the model I have as it performs well in this respect.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I still am a big fan of a 40" 4K monitor @ 60Hz. I don't like the lower vertical resolution on the ultrawides, although the monitors are pretty nice. They might be too wide for a solid monitoring setup as well if you sit close to your screen.
Note that 40" 4K requires good eyes or glasses. However, smaller makes everything too small, larger makes it hard to see the corners. For that, a curved display might help, but that is not everybody's taste.
Not being a gamer, or even much of a TV buff, I don’t get the curved screen. I do swing around to a side keyboard, and also don’t always work directly in front of the screen. Does the curving affect viewing what’s going on whether in a good or negative way?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
There is plenty of relevant info in this thread ... Any issues found working with a curved ultrawide monitor. ...
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
My main display is a 49" 4k TV (a Sony Bravia 49XF7596 to be exact) with a secondary 27" 1440p screen off to my left.

As DAWPLUS mentioned, anything smaller running at 4k makes text too small to comfortably read, which means you then either spend all day squinting, or end up scaling to 125% which kinda negates the point of the 4k display in the first place.
For me, 49" is the perfect sweet spot - big enough that it pretty much fills your vision, and things can be read comfortably from a few feet away, not so big that I have to constantly move my head to see the edges of the screen.

* If you play fast FPS games, you will notice a bit more input lag than you're probably used to with a monitor, but your muscle memory starts to compensate within a few days. This isn't an issue at all when working in Cubase/Windows in general, as we're only talking a few extra ms, but make sure you check this, as not all TVs are created equal, and some will have unacceptable/noticeable input lag. I specifically chose the model I have as it performs well in this respect.
Thanks, that also is good insight. Yeah, my eyes even with glasses are such that I do have to squint or lean in, depending on what I’m looking at.

My goals are not needing to be close up in certain situations and still see, more real estate, and less ‘windowing’ and scrolling but also crisper detail.
On the other side of my room I have a MacBook, and for a while I would try booking it up to a Samsung 32 inch, but it’s only 720, not 1080. I’d have an excel sheet, and at that size, it was bad resolution. So, I understand about the sweet spot.

The one feature I like about the ultra wide is being able to view up to four sources, and at once. But that’s great to see users working with regular TVs.

What should I look for, spec or requirement wise to avoid the live/time lag issue?

Thanks for the input. Very helpful!
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
There is plenty of relevant info in this thread ... Any issues found working with a curved ultrawide monitor. ...
Thank you!
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBatt View Post
Thanks, that also is good insight. Yeah, my eyes even with glasses are such that I do have to squint or lean in, depending on what I’m looking at.

My goals are not needing to be close up in certain situations and still see, more real estate, and less ‘windowing’ and scrolling but also crisper detail.
In this case, I'd definitely recommend you don't go much smaller than 49".

Quote:
The one feature I like about the ultra wide is being able to view up to four sources, and at once. But that’s great to see users working with regular TVs.

What should I look for, spec or requirement wise to avoid the live/time lag issue?

Thanks for the input. Very helpful!
You'll want to make sure the the screen actually displays 60fps - this can be quite difficult to determine from specs, because every manufacturer uses some different BS terminology to refer to framerate, but if you're buying a recent model from a good brand, you should be fine. Watch some 60fps videos on youtube, and compare them to non-60fps content, and you should notice a big difference in smoothness. Once you know what it looks like, it's not too hard to spot a display running at lower than 60fps.

If you're not going to be playing games, then input lag shouldn't really be an issue for you (unless you're buying at the really cheap, budget end of the scale).

Also - a TV may not support 4k 60fps across all it's various inputs: while my particular model has 4 HDMI inputs, only 2 of them actually support 60fps at 4k, so make sure you check, and plug your sources into the right ports (this will be mentioned somewhere in the manual if applicable).

One other thing to look out for is ghosting - if the pixels can't react quickly enough, you'll see things kinda "smearing" across the screen when you move them - it's super-annoying and also fatiguing to look at constantly, so you don't want it!

Easiest way to check is grab a window with your cursor and move it back and forth across the screen - if it leaves a noticeable colourful trail behind it, you've got ghosting, which in a DAW environment you'll probably mainly notice on things like meters and VU needles.

The best thing to do is go to whichever big-box electronics store is near you, and see the screen actually working - specs will only tell you so much. Maybe bring your Macbook and see if they'll let you hook it up to whichever models you're considering.

Also remember that most TVs have a "Store/Retail" mode, that cranks the brightness and colour saturation way up to try and catch your eye when choosing between a wall full of different models, so if you can, try and ask a salesperson to switch the picture mode to something more normal!
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Spicypontyhead, thanks for all those points.

JB
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

No probs - let us know what you end up going for!
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

No issues with response time/refresh rate - it runs at 60fps, and nowadays most TVs have a "game/pc" mode that switches off a lot of the image enhancement processing that contributes to input lag. On my model, that preference can be set on a per-input/per app basis, so you can have all the fancy MotionFlow image processing stuff if you're watching a movie, and have an accurate, fast display when working/gaming*.

It's positioned so it sits between, and just slightly behind the front edge of my main (nearfield) monitors, and I haven't come across any significant translation issues with my mixes.

For me, a large 4k display really works with the newer Cubase workflow that Steinberg are pushing, which is for people to make use of the lower zone rather than opening windows to edit stuff - I never really found this practical on a 1440p display, but 4k gives you enough screen real estate for things to be useful and not look too cluttered.

The main annoyance with Cubase 10 is that they removed like 80% of the right-click context menu, so you'll want to bind your most-used actions to hotkeys, unless you want to be constantly scrolling all the way up to the top menu bar just to "move to origin" or any of the other 20 functions they decided to get rid off from the most convenient place...

At what distance do you seat from the monitor?
I have to find something 4K 100% readable at 1.5m - 1.8m
55inches?
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
At what distance do you seat from the monitor?
I have to find something 4K 100% readable at 1.5m - 1.8m
55inches?
I'm about 1.2m away so yeah, 55" would probably be perfect for you.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm about 1.2m away so yeah, 55" would probably be perfect for you.
Ok thank you!
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

But first....

Aaah, well, before deciding on a monitor,

I have an AMD Radeon HD700. (it was fine for my three screens, but....) That won't fit the bill, (I think) if I run a screen at 4k @60 refresh.

What are you folks using for video cards. (for music no gaming.....)
My goal is one nice monitor, but I don't want to rule out being able to support additional monitors as well.
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

I have an AMD Radeon HD700. (it was fine for my three screens, but....) That won't fit the bill, (I think) if I run a screen at 4k @60 refresh.

My goal is one nice monitor, but I don't want to rule out being able to support additional monitors as well.
Desktop/DAW apps don't need a whole lot of graphics horsepower - if you have a fairly recent CPU/mobo, you could even run a 4k display off the integrated graphics.

I run an 8700k-based system on an Asus Prime Z370-a board, and while I do have my screens driven by a GTX 1080 (which would be massive overkill just for DAW use btw), my motherboard has one each of HDMI, DVI and Displayport and is capable of driving 3 displays at 60Hz without the need for a seperate GPU (2 at 4k, with a 3rd at 1440)

You could look into getting something like a GTX 1050ti - these are very affordable nowadays, would be more than enough to drive your display(s) and you can get versions that are entirely passively-cooled, so won't add any fan noise to your system.
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Desktop/DAW apps don't need a whole lot of graphics horsepower - if you have a fairly recent CPU/mobo, you could even run a 4k display off the integrated graphics.

I run an 8700k-based system on an Asus Prime Z370-a board, and while I do have my screens driven by a GTX 1080 (which would be massive overkill just for DAW use btw), my motherboard has one each of HDMI, DVI and Displayport and is capable of driving 3 displays at 60Hz without the need for a seperate GPU (2 at 4k, with a 3rd at 1440)

You could look into getting something like a GTX 1050ti - these are very affordable nowadays, would be more than enough to drive your display(s) and you can get versions that are entirely passively-cooled, so won't add any fan noise to your system.
Thanks.
I was just looking at the GTX 1050.and the TI version.
is it better to go with 4 GB?

I like how they are called "budget" gaming cards, lol.
That's fine with me. There are cards that are over a grand...

Starting to look at TVs It looks like most can do PnP, at least to an extent.
The one thing I liked about the LG Ultrawide is being able to run multiple inputs at once, but now I feel better about just a good 4k TV, and a big size is still cheaper than the LG.

I might have to rethink my monitor spread, because of the size, but it's doable.
Again, thanks for everyone's input. It's been very helpful.
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

I looked at a couple of 49, 50 inch tvs. that -might- be a little on the huge size for my setup.
I may go with a 43" Sony
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...?skuId=5875644
This is pretty much the same size as the LG 43UD79-B I was looking at. But, it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
That difference covers the video card.
That Sony 43" is 499. But this Samsung 50" is actually cheaper by 50.00
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6202100
Old 11th January 2019
Quote:

It depends on the max resolution the card offers at 60Hz (you don't want to use 30Hz, the mouse will lag). It also depends on the HDMI and DP ports version. You can check those specs in the Radeon driver panel.
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
It depends on the max resolution the card offers at 60Hz (you don't want to use 30Hz, the mouse will lag). It also depends on the HDMI and DP ports version. You can check those specs in the Radeon driver panel.
Thanks. I tried, but probably didn’t look in the right place. I’ll explore that before worrying about a card.
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

Well, I went and bought a Samsung 43 NU6900 series. My AMD Radeon card, supports 4k through the DisplayPort i"m using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable as the TV only has a couple of HDMI. This seems to work only through the one with ARC.
It looks unbelievable.
PROBLEM IS, though, after a bit, it does this intermittent flickering to black, and will go back and forth. Sometimes it will go to a source screen saying there's no signal.
Im' wondering if i need a better quality cable.
I did some googling, and it seems to be a common complaint for at least a few years. I've seen it with not just Samsung, but mostly Samsung TVs, when this happens.
Maybe I should just spring for a Sony? Or just get the LG Ultrawide?
Sheesh!
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I should just spring for a Sony? Or just get the LG Ultrawide?
Sheesh!
The reason I chose 2 LG 34 inch (see attachment) was because I don't like video monitors inhibiting or much compromise from my audio monitors. These monitors are actually pointing inward and upward.

If you want to maintain a basic audio triangle, and keep that clear, that is something to consider. I have seen some really crazy set-ups compromising audio monitors for the sake of a single big screen.
Attached Thumbnails
LG 43 inch Ultrawide or 4K TV?-image00000080.jpg  
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
The reason I chose 2 LG 34 inch (see attachment) was because I don't like video monitors inhibiting or much compromise from my audio monitors. These monitors are actually pointing inward and upward.

If you want to maintain a basic audio triangle, and keep that clear, that is something to consider. I have seen some really crazy set-ups compromising audio monitors for the sake of a single big screen.
1. I don’t think you have enough keys!
2. Just kidding. That’s quite a setup.
The 43 inch tv works out just right between my monitors.
I can’t go bigger. I may just go with the 43 inch Ultrawide.
Height wise, it’s about the same as this Samsung TV.
This on and off black screen thing is disturbing. Maybe it won’t happen on Sony’s, I don’t know, but
For that money I might as well get the 4K LG instead.
I’m hoping it’s a stupid fix, like a better quality cable or something.

The one thing I do on this tv or any other is get the scaling just the right way. But I love how it looks.
Old 14th January 2019
I have a 49inch 4k/60hz Sony Bravia and 3 1080p monitors and have gone through many display port, hdmi, dvi issues with cabling and adapters to take a punt and say its your cable/adapter.

There are many hdmi cables that say they are capable of 4k transmission but simply arent. (I went through a few trying to save money - dont try it) It needs to be certified at running 4k/60hz. ie hdmi 1.4 or even better 2.0

You may also need an active display port to hdmi adapter (again rated at 4k/60hz). Just any "no brand" one of these may not work, as I found out.

I had to get both, an active DP to HDMI2.0 adaptor (Club and Startech work) and a certified hdmi2.0 cable (equal or more than 20gb/s) for the flickering/instability to stop.

Monoprice make a certified hdmi2.0 cable which I ordered online.

I found that only when all my monitors were running the exact same frame rate (not some at 59hz) and colour depth and all other settings the same (except resolution of the main 4k) that they settled.

Also dont bother trying to get 10bit colour depth to work, you wont need it anyway. 8bit is good.

The Bravia works really well BTW, just as sharp as my 1080p monitors.

Last edited by bcslaam; 14th January 2019 at 12:36 PM..
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
I have a 49inch 4k/60hz Sony Bravia and 3 1080p monitors and have gone through many display port, hdmi, dvi issues with cabling and adapters to take a punt and say its your cable/adapter.

There are many hdmi cables that say they are capable of 4k transmission but simply arent. (I went through a few trying to save money - dont try it) It needs to be certified at running 4k/60hz. ie hdmi 1.4 or even better 2.0

You may also need an active display port to hdmi adapter (again rated at 4k/60hz). Just any "no brand" one of these may not work, as I found out.

I had to get both, an active DP to HDMI2.0 adaptor (Club and Startech work) and a certified hdmi2.0 cable (equal or more than 20gb/s) for the flickering/instability to stop.

Monoprice make a certified hdmi2.0 cable which I ordered online.

I found that only when all my monitors were running the exact (not some at 59hz) same frame rate and colour depth and all other settings the same (except resolution of the main 4k) that they settled.

Also dont bother trying to get 10bit colour depth to work, you wont need it anyway. 8bit is good.

The Bravia works really well BTW, just as sharp as my 1080p monitors.
This confirms what I’m wondering about. I see so many issues, mostly with Samsung, and probably none of these complaints involve computer monitoring, that I can see, at least. It’ll cost for those cables, but may be worth gh I only paid a few hundred for this TV, it does look good, so it would be worth it to try, and simple. I could always go with Bravia, but at that price, I might as well get the LG 43UD79B. The only negatives I’ve seen are picayune, and wouldn’t bother me for my use.
Again, thanks much!
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes. This was my problem with my LG 34-inch monitors. I didn't use the factory supplied hdmi cables and had all kinds of problems.

That day, I learned that there are different versions of hdmi cables.
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear

Well, I now how have a display port adapter and hdmi 2.0 cable. Both quality, and up to spec.
My monitor though now won't even give me the option of running at 4k (w 2160 vert, @ 60hz ).
It's top res is 1920 by 1080.
The good news, so far, is it's not doing the intermittent turn to black screen. So far. I don't think the last times it didn't happen until being on for a while.
I suppose I good live with it.
I can tell the difference, though, but I can certainly see my software.
So, my options will be to try and spring for a different card, also, return my TV while I can, and spend more on a better brand, like the sony, but then I'm in the same money ball park as getting the LG 43 inch 4k ultrawide- twice the price.
I'm puzzled why this time I don't have the option at 4 k, so I'm going to try once again my cheaper cable again, and see what happens.

OR live with 1920 1080p
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm puzzled why this time I don't have the option at 4 k, so I'm going to try once again my cheaper cable again, and see what happens.

OR live with 1920 1080p
The [www.rtings.com] website says the following about the NU6900 series of TV's when used as computer screens:

4k @ 60 hz with 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 chroma is only supported when HDMI UHD Color is enabled from the External Device Manager settings menu. 4:4:4 is only properly displayed when the input icon is set to 'PC'.
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
The [www.rtings.com] website says the following about the NU6900 series of TV's when used as computer screens:

4k @ 60 hz with 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 chroma is only supported when HDMI UHD Color is enabled from the External Device Manager settings menu. 4:4:4 is only properly displayed when the input icon is set to 'PC'.
Well, I did try all that before. I even did it resetting the TV from scratch, and it was the same thing, as far as the setting goes.
But thanks for that extra research- appreciate that, for sure.

But, here's the 'no rhyme or reason' principle at play....
For the heck of it, I moved my new HDMI 2.0 cable to the second slot of my card, which is HDMI, and put the el cheapo Insignia cable that was DP to HDMI back in, and went into the top input of the tv.
I now have two inputs into the TV. In viewing the PC input I go to display settings of the screen. It's as if I have dual monitors, so display settings are showing both. When I click on display one, NOW it shows all the options and if I click on display two, it is as if it was the old setup where I could drag a window over, and it would show up there, and display two is connected to display one.
Go figure. This TV is used twice as a dual monitor. That second one is only maxed out at 1920/ 1080.
It's been going for a couple hours, and remains okay- no black screen...
So, for now , I won't touch a thing.
FINGERS CROSSED.

If this holds, I can keep everything, and then I will probably set up another monitor on the side keyboard setup with that 2nd HDMI cable...
Old 18th January 2019
What was the brand of new DP to HDMI adaptor and HDMI 2.0 cable?
I assume you also put the new HDMI cable into the hdmi 2.0 port and went to TV settings and changed to UWHD or in my case to "Enhanced" setting buried deep in the advanced/AV section. Also double check that your display card hasnt gone to 59hz
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
What was the brand of new DP to HDMI adaptor and HDMI 2.0 cable?
I assume you also put the new HDMI cable into the hdmi 2.0 port and went to TV settings and changed to UWHD or in my case to "Enhanced" setting buried deep in the advanced/AV section. Also double check that your display card hasnt gone to 59hz
Two days now, and all is still holding.

The cables? To be honest, I tossedthe box, and don’t remember. I got these at a local shop that just does cables and accessories most everything there, is quality.
It was just weird that things didn’t start going right, until I had both going into the TV. And, again I had doe. All those settings with the Samsung, at least twice.
It beats me, what got it working, but I’ll take it.
Hopefully it stays that way.
But now, I think I will look at a better card next with more outputs.
I old monitors don’t even have hdmi inputs, so I may upgrade those, but either way, a new card is next.

Thanks, again for your input!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search