The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo X 16 vs Metric Halo ULN-8 3D
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

Apollo X 16 vs Metric Halo ULN-8 3D

Hey guys,

has anyone of you compared a Metric Halo ULN-8 with The New Apollo X?
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys, has anyone of you compared a Metric Halo ULN-8 with The New Apollo X?

Yeah I have asbasnowe, and here are my findings and thoughts. For pure clock and conversion quality, I have to give the nod to the Apollo x16. Though close in sound quality comparison, the Apollo sounded cleaner, bigger, more focused with a wider stereo image. With that being said, I have the 2d card and have not yet tried the 3d card for the ULN-8. Also, you have to weigh in the fact that the ULN-8 has pristine mic preamps, can do analog summing and has headphone jacks - all which the Apollo does not have. Both provide DSP with awesome plugins, but the Apollo sold me due to the 16 analog in and outs (I have a lot of analog outboard gear), the +24 dbu operation, 133dB dynamic range and -129dB THD+N. If it weren't for all of my hardware preamps, eq's, compressors, and fx gear, I would have probably stayed with my ULN-8 - it just provides more to the end user and at a high quality level. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to keep both so the MH will be going up for sale - I know I'm going to regret it one day, but that Apollo x16 sounds so got damn good!
Old 15th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey,

thx for your reply. That sounds interesting.
I meanwhile tested an ULN-8 3d and have to admit, that it sounds much better than my old Fireface 802.

I cant test the apollo, because I dont have TB3 connection... But it is an excellent peace of hardware! (Read some tests)

I think I ll give the ULN-8 a try. I'm using an cMP and dont need to upgrade my machine.

Greetz
Asbasnowe
Old 15th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbasnowe View Post
I cant test the apollo, because I dont have TB3 connection... But it is an excellent peace of hardware! (Read some tests)
FWIW, you don't TB3 for the Apollo X if you're on a Mac. Any TB port will work with the USB-C to TB adapter.

The TB3/USB-C exclusivity only applies for Windows 10.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

what about a demo

Hello guys is it possible to send us a demo between apollo x and metric halo?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search