The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows update, 1709->1809 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 6th January 2019
Windows update, 1709->1809

I went from 1709 to 1809 after cloning my system to a backup drive.

There now exists a greenify function in the Task Manager and there is almost no way to get the task scheduler open. It says that it can't connect to remote computer.

But the last few days I have been able to stream without going into a static buffer under run situation. Something that never happened on my Lenovo 70 17 with an i7 but had happened every day for 3 months on my ASUS ROG GL702ZC with the Ryzen 7.

So I attribute the last few days to one of these update things. Anyone with any similar stories after updating to the current version of Windows I want to hear about it. I still want to know how to get the task scheduler working, but not if it is going to make my system easier for remote computers to attack.

I had used the task scheduler along with the hosts file, the registry and the firewalls to block that 1809 update from the ASUS' inception in my studio.
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindedzluney View Post
the registry and the firewalls to block that 1809 update from the ASUS inception in my studio.
Is it correct to assume your machine needs to have access to the web but to not allow OS updates?
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
Is it correct to assume your machine needs to have access to the web but to not allow OS updates?
I do use the network and web on the computer. I do want to keep the task scheduler from updating the computer, and that is where the update tasks are all controlled from. I was lucky not to take this update with the unprotected in September or October, who lost their User folder I hear. So yeah, I do want to prevent any future forced updates.
Old 14th January 2019
Quote:
I do use the network and web on the computer. I do want to keep the task scheduler from updating the computer, and that is where the update tasks are all controlled from. I was lucky not to take this update with the unprotected in September or October, who lost their User folder I hear. So yeah, I do want to prevent any future forced updates.
Ok, now I have more context to what you were saying in the other thread. Splitting ideas across threads tends to leave people without context.

Killing the task scheduler is not how you deal with Windows update.

Like I said in the Windows 10 thread, if you have Pro, use the group policy editor to disable updates. However, it's not a good idea to have updates disabled on a PC that you use for general web browsing.

Pete
Old 14th January 2019
Quote:
So I attribute the last few days to one of these update things. Anyone with any similar stories after updating to the current version of Windows I want to hear about it. I still want to know how to get the task scheduler working, but not if it is going to make my system easier for remote computers to attack.
Don't assume, confirm. If you received an update, it will be in the Update History in the Settings app.

Pete
Old 14th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Don't assume, confirm. If you received an update, it will be in the Update History in the Settings app.

Pete
No you're right it has recieved updates on 1 9.
I was used to having it put more notifications of update/restart such as superimposed over my shut down switch and whatnot, in than that. Seems to be updating automatically.

Hey Pete Brown. Nice work on the BLE MIDI!
Old 17th January 2019
oh i see the thread now. Ok yeah I uninstalled that latest update which seems to have helped. almost exactly 4 hours of streaming and only one buffer static situation. Yeah the computers themselves are not the problem and the update uninstall seems to have helped noticably. The statistics went the direction of it probably meaning the update was causing the issue though after last night's static takeover twoards the end of last nights otherwise stellar stream it is impossible to predict stability despite the uninstall.

The Lenovo has never done the similar static situation. The Lenovo has never experienced a static takeover that could only be reverted with a power cycle on the interface.

This issue is only happening on the ASUS, which is different in every way. Both machines are powerful but the ASUS is much more powerful at processing.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search