The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Zoom TAC-8 or UAC-8
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut

Zoom TAC-8 or UAC-8

The Zoom TAC-8 or the UAC-8?
I’m using a Mac. Recording using an iPad on occasion might be nice... but not a deal breaker.
Will I see a big difference in latency with the UAC?

I’m looking at these in particular because the are configured great for what I do and my experience with Zoom has been good.

Thanks!
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut

I should also mention I’m on a 2018 Mac Mini (Mojave).

Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear
While Zoom has written very good low latency USB drivers some users here reported problems with certain USB 3.0 and USB-C chipsets and had better luck using the USB 2 inputs on their PC's. In your case I'd go for the TAC-8 (Thunderbolt) as the safer bet in your case.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

I wonder if these problems will occur on Mac as well.
There is something of a plus if the latency is close to Tbolt and I can use it with a PC if need be on occasion as well as an iPad.

Is it really this complicated or is it just me. Ha.
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin View Post
I wonder if these problems will occur on Mac as well.
There is something of a plus if the latency is close to Tbolt and I can use it with a PC if need be on occasion as well as an iPad.

Is it really this complicated or is it just me. Ha.
And we though FireWire was complicated regarding chipsets etc.
Anyway I can only go by user reports here. I do remember one Mac user was happy with the UAC-2 but his was with an older Mac so I'm not sure if that's useful. I do know that him and PC users were impressed by the USB latency performance which was very close to RME's numbers so I wouldn't worry about that. If you live near a music store that has one you can always try it with your new Mac and return it if it doesn't work out. Or just take a chance on it.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
And we though FireWire was complicated regarding chipsets etc.....
I’m so baffled at how Mac is dropping the ball lately. I mean my new Mac mini is in many ways a powerhouse but, it’s a dongle fest. I keep hearing about T2 audio bugs and Mojave’s incompatibilities. I’m almost ready get a windows box. But I know that side has its issues too.

To think, all I want the thing to do is run Ableton so I can record my half cooked music.

Looking back, the old Tascam portastudio was pretty great.

Whew.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For anyone using the Zoom TAC8 beware Mojave 10.14.5

My studio is now borked. A minor update over the weekend has rendered the interface useless....

https://www.zoom.co.jp/news/TAC-8_Mojave
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Crazy. I was about to grab one for home. Holding my ground now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fortunately I had a working Time Machine backuo from the previous day and was able to use that as a restore point.

Mojave 10.14.t aside the TAC8 works great for me and is a good option.

I’ll probably be selling mine in a few weeks as I need to expand and am looking at a couple of MOTU interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

By the way.
I ended up buying a UAC-8.
I absolutely love this interface. Super low latency, stable, and sounds great. Pres are quiet and have far more gain than my old Focusrite Clarret.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search