The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation NIO 2/4, DAW + audio from other sources
Old 30th December 2018
Here for the gear

Novation NIO 2/4, DAW + audio from other sources

Hi!

I use a Novation Nio 2/4 with my Win10 computer. When I'm running Cubase and open another audio source (Media player classic, Youtube in browser, Spotify, you name it) I get no sound, but instead a notification that "playback device is already in use" or something like that.

So, I changed settings in Cubase to release audio driver in background, which partially solved the problem. I can switch between different audio sources, but not play them back at the same time (like play along in Cubase to a song on Spotify). I'm not 100% sure, but I think I used to be able to do that before....

On top of that, everytime I switch audio source and return to Cubase I get a message saying that my sample rate has changed. If it was 44.1 before it changes to 48, was it 48 it changes to 44.1).

Am I doing something wrong or is this the limitations of the Nio and/or Win10?
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

Noone?
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey, I myself own a Novation Nio 2/4, and yes I know it's an old-ish model, but it got 2 headphone outputs (which most interfaces don't have these days) and overall there's something about those knobs
But to your issue... I use it with Win7, not sure how it works on win10... but it's all about Exclusive Mode in cards properties, DEselect it and all your problems will be gone (unless you're using the damn Pro_tools, which will require Exclusive access for some reason), Cubase - never used it, but if it can use Asio4All driver, then you should be good to go, if it's ALSO like Pro Tools and require Exclusive access then there's nothing you can do . I miss the Sound Blaster cards, remember those ? you hook everything up and it just works, no fuss, no special drives, all on the go, not only you could play from ANY source at the same time, you could also record ALL of it at once as Stereo Mix, this is 2019 and THIS is no longer possible... and they call it a progress...
Anyways hope it helped a little .
Old 3rd February 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you!
So, I checked the things you mentioned, the exclusive mode thingie, and it was already deselected. But - when I switched from Novation's own asio driver to Asio4all things suddenly worked.
A bit baffling if it's within the Novation drivers to not allow access from more than one audio source at a time.

And oh man, do I miss ye olde Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Anyways, thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search