The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Crave EQ general discussion
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The gentle mid only LP rolls off the very top center, making the full spectrum sound a bit softer while keeping the sides high and sparkly
Wow! Clever one. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Another mastering preset - "Resonant points"
Idea taken from bx_masterdeck which has two cut filters aimed for cutting common harsh or muddy points at: 160, 315 hZ and 3150 and 6666
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mastering - Resonant Points.zip (604 Bytes, 42 views)
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

And another one called "Munson Curve - Clean UP"
To simulate known equal loudness curve, with a trick: 2030 kHz cuts only mids.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Munson Curve - Clean UP.zip (329 Bytes, 46 views)
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

WoW

Thanks for those presets!
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Thank guys!,

What do you think about the low cut compared to other EQs?

Is the gain compensation good enough?

Daniel.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Maniac

wow, thanks for the presets. very appreciated
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Presets! How about we share some? :¬)
Quote:
Two mastering presets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
And another one called "Munson Curve - Clean UP"
You two are on **FIRE**. Maybe Keith can include some Gearslutz All Star presets in 1.5. Now we just need some magic from @ bmanic !!! :D

I’m excited to try the Munson as that’s some next level, voodoo tier audio stuff that I’ve never dabbled in.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Crave sounds better than Pro Q3, just grab a vocal and add a 6dB high shelf and hear for yourself.
Sorry to counter your experience, but are you sure you're not hearing just some aliasing artefacts or something like that?

I just have tested Crave Eq vs ProQ3 with a cymbal busy drum part and an oscillator, with a 8kHz -6/+6db Q1 High Shelves and they pretty much zero in both Digital vs Zero latency and Analogue vs Natural Phase modes. Except there's some residual content left in highs, which manifests most of all in Digital vs Zero Latency and in the case of a drum part goes from around -40db peak in 44.1k, to -60db in 88.2k to -90db in 176.4k sample rate. This strongly suggests some difference in behaviour near Nyquist. Analogue vs Natural Phase zero out much much quieter.

By the way, if anyone tries to compare the two, Q scaling differ in Bell filters (~0.711=1), but seems to be matching in shelves, at least at 1.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdHemisphere View Post
I just have tested Curve Eq
Voxengo one?
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Voxengo one?
Whoops, I meant Crave EQ. Sorry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hello folks,

I just picked up this EQ last week and have read through the thread however I'm still a bit confused about Transparent mode despite reading post #13 , that details this mode, several times.

Is the frequency specified in the settings for this mode simply the crossover point, where any changes applied below this point are in analogue mode and any above are linear phase mode?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Hello folks,

I just picked up this EQ last week and have read through the thread however I'm still a bit confused about Transparent mode despite reading post #13 , that details this mode, several times.

Is the frequency specified in the settings for this mode simply the crossover point, where any changes applied below this point are in analogue mode and any above are linear phase mode?

Many thanks in advance!
Yeah that's my understanding
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Keith @ cravedsp -- an unusual request. Since you seem open to requests but also honest with your ability/desire/feasibility of delivering.

Have you ever considered releasing a Linux VST? I only ask because I've been seriously considering moving part/half/most of my music production to a Linux environment. Linux was never a serious consideration for me in the past, but now that I'm getting accustomed to Bitwig (has Linux build) and the excellent Mapha EQ also has a Linux version, there really aren't a lot of things stopping me from having a primarily Linux environment.

Just curious about your thoughts, the effort involved vs. return, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Only bought it a week ago after all the good word about it and it has replaced nearly all my other eqs like Q3, Eiosis, Equilibrium and everything else by this time. I only still grab for Nova GE when I need dynamic eq. Surprisingly Crave eq even mostly sounds a lot better then all my usual emulations from slate, waves, PA when I wanted to go for API or SSL etc., also better then the Neb and Aqua stuff quite often. It is unreal, but this thing really rocks and makes my mixing a lot easier, because I don't have to think about equing that much anymore. I just get Crave in and the job is mostly done in a fast and no-nonsense superb way. THANKS crave DSP!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
One question, or maybe another feature request. I tend to use the solo listen function regularly and it would be great not have to use the right-klick menu on the nod with the mouse for that. Maybe a dedicated button on the nod page or a shortcut. Is there a way to do that now? Or wouldn't it be a good feature? Thanks, Geret
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Hey Keith @ cravedsp -- an unusual request. Since you seem open to requests but also honest with your ability/desire/feasibility of delivering.

Have you ever considered releasing a Linux VST? I only ask because I've been seriously considering moving part/half/most of my music production to a Linux environment. Linux was never a serious consideration for me in the past, but now that I'm getting accustomed to Bitwig (has Linux build) and the excellent Mapha EQ also has a Linux version, there really aren't a lot of things stopping me from having a primarily Linux environment.

Just curious about your thoughts, the effort involved vs. return, etc.
A Linux version isn’t likely in the next 12 months. It will start to look worthwhile once I build more plugins. I’ve been working hard to make sure my plugin code is in good shape to do this. The next version of Crave EQ will have a lot of updates that were made easier to do by enhancing the code that handles the plugin formats and the graphics engine. These changes were also made with the long term aim of making it easy to reuse my code to create new plugins.

— Keith
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
One question, or maybe another feature request. I tend to use the solo listen function regularly and it would be great not have to use the right-klick menu on the nod with the mouse for that. Maybe a dedicated button on the nod page or a shortcut. Is there a way to do that now? Or wouldn't it be a good feature? Thanks, Geret
You can activate solo by double clicking a band. If you keep your mouse held down on the second click you can drag the band without an additional click.

— Keith
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravedsp View Post
You can activate solo by double clicking a band. If you keep your mouse held down on the second click you can drag the band without an additional click.

— Keith
Thanks Keith, this is working great. And sorry that I dein't properly read the manual :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

— Keith
Hi Keith,

Would be possible to handle the solo function with a control surface on next version?

Thank you,
Daniel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

THD graphs
High Shelf 12kHz +24dB:

FabFilter Q3 Natural Phase
FabFilter Q3 Zero Latency
Crave EQ Digital
Crave EQ Analog
Attached Thumbnails
Crave EQ general discussion-ffq3-nat-phase.jpg   Crave EQ general discussion-ffq3-zero-latency.jpg   Crave EQ general discussion-crave-digital.jpg   Crave EQ general discussion-crave-analog.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
THD graphs
High Shelf 12kHz +24dB:

Crave EQ Digital
Crave EQ Analog
Awesome,

I imagine Transparent phase will be the same zero distortion on Crave EQ.

Wonder how the aliasing compare on each other.

Best regards,
Daniel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Too many people are drinking cool aid..

Results of Pro-Q is similar to other stuff with 32 bit float I/O to DAW. Crave EQ uses 64 bit float end-to-end, that's why you don't see any noisefloor at the plot.
But look at the Y scale and possibly try to find parameters or FFT plots of converters, you're listening to.

Generally nowadays I don't see any reasons (increased performance, lower memory consumption doesn't apply there), why a plugin processing internally in 64 bit (vast majority of EQs) shouldn't also have 64 bit I/O for supported DAWs.. but even if it doesn't support that 64 bit I/O mode (I don't know.. because of legacy development framework), it's very little concern it will audibly affect your outcome, due to proportions of the "issue".
So personally I wouldn't try to make any drama about that..

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, no drama at all. It's measly -160dB, absolutely no reason to worry about it in any normal use-case.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Linux version isn’t likely in the next 12 months. It will start to look worthwhile once I build more plugins. I’ve been working hard to make sure my plugin code is in good shape to do this. The next version of Crave EQ will have a lot of updates that were made easier to do by enhancing the code that handles the plugin formats and the graphics engine. These changes were also made with the long term aim of making it easy to reuse my code to create new plugins.

— Keith
Thanks Keith, sounds awesome. You’re a standout among developers sir.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Hi Keith,

Would be possible to handle the solo function with a control surface on next version?

Thank you,
Daniel.
I’ll certainly look into it.

—Keith
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I’ll certainly look into it.

—Keith
Great!, thank you Keith!

Daniel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
THD graphs
High Shelf 12kHz +24dB:

Crave EQ Digital
Crave EQ Analog
EQ's, clean digital ones like Crave and Fabfilter, do not generate aliased harmonics. These EQ's don't saturate or distort, thus they cannot generate harmonics, aliased or not.

"Phase distortion" cannot generate harmonics by itself. That only happens in "amplitude distortion", like clipping or saturation.

Any THD seen or not seen above (let alone heard) is an artefact of truncation of bit depth. Aliasing, as we discuss it, is a very different subject and doesn't apply to anything that doesn't saturate.

It's headroom VS footroom, metaphorically.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
EQ's, clean digital ones like Crave and Fabfilter, do not generate aliased harmonics. These EQ's don't saturate or distort, thus they cannot generate harmonics, aliased or not.
To be clear, I didn't expect any distortion, although it could have been there, if, for example the "analog" mode had some intended non-linearities in it, which it clearly has not. Also, bugs are always a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Any THD seen or not seen above (let alone heard) is an artefact of truncation of bit depth. Aliasing, as we discuss it, is a very different subject and doesn't apply to anything that doesn't saturate.

It's headroom VS footroom, metaphorically.
Yeah, the point of my comparison was to question the supposed sound superiority of Crave EQ over FFQ3 in highs, as claimed by b0se (heard with only 6db boost!). The only difference I could see on graphs was in slight bell shape deformation near Nyquist, and shelves behaved almost identical, as mentioned earlier, not in a way where one of the plugins could have been characterized as better than other.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be clear, I didn't expect any distortion, although it could have been there, if, for example the "analog" mode had some intended non-linearities in it, which it clearly has not. Also, bugs are always a threat.

Yeah, the point of my comparison was to question the supposed sound superiority of Crave EQ over FFQ3 in highs, as claimed by b0se (heard with only 6db boost!). The only difference I could see on graphs was in slight bell shape deformation near Nyquist, and shelves behaved almost identical, as mentioned earlier, not in a way where one of the plugins could have been characterized as better than other.
Cool. Yeah, "analog mode" refers to the phase response. It's not analogue distortion.

FF runs at a lower bit depth internally (hence the higher noise floor) and this makes some difference in an EQ, due to the way resonance works.

I assume they both implement different warping methods to defeat cramping around nyquist.

Both of those things might affect the sound, for the bat-eared.

Whatever it is, I hear a clear difference and put my money on Crave.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the point of my comparison was to question the supposed sound superiority of Crave EQ over FFQ3 in highs, as claimed by b0se (heard with only 6db boost!).
I can't speak to @ b0se example but with Crave -- mind you this is an anecdotal, completely subjective 'gut' thing here -- but when doing notches, which I do a lot of, I found Crave to be phenomenally clean and 'do no harm' whereas with FFQ2 I often heard minor deleterious effects. I'm not an engineer so I don't know what those things would be (or if it could be a placebo/bias thing happening with Crave and FF).

Haven't felt the need to test but maybe the next time I notch I'll pull Fab out of storage to do more of an in-depth 'test'.

I have new cans now too so may be a good time confirm what I already 'know' or maybe kill a few golden calfs along the way.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search