The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unravelling the cobweb of chipsets
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Unravelling the cobweb of chipsets

Holy hell...this explosion of a million diff chips drives me batty, lol. Trying to decode the mystery of what's better and how much better is it and why and how do you know etc. Therefore here's just a general thread for your expertise/experiences to share (and if you feel I'm off base below, pls clarify).

Some things I've learned:

- i3 vs i5 vs i7 isn't nearly as important as the chipset # itself. For ex. the 8000 series chips are in general far superior to the 7000s (and on down). On avg an i5 8000 chip will beat out an i7 7000 chip and often by quite a bit.

- Also of similar importance is the suffix (U vs K vs G vs X etc etc). The Us are among the weakest of these, and yet the most popular sold by places like Best Buy or Newegg (probably because they figure most people don't know the diff and focus on i3 vs i5 stuff).

I can't speak to the AMD stuff. Anyone?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post

I can't speak to the AMD stuff. Anyone?
The older AM3 chipset has been a dream for me and the X series chip has been enough for what I do, but it's getting old and I plan on upgrading in the coming spring. Like you the more I study the more confusing things get. If AMD can match AM3 with Ryzen I might go that way, if not it's wide open with Intel. I'm hoping i9 and Ryzen chipsets get better by this spring. Your right though, chipsets are the number 1 concern, at least it has been for me. Sorry I can't be of much help but hopefully this thread will yield info.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Addict

Basically Intel offers two lines of desktops, the normal one, which is currently the 9th generation coffee lake CPUs. The best CPU from that lineup is an 8 core i9 9900k and you need the latest motherboard for it, the Z390. Earlier generations have less cores across the line, that's why a current i5 can beat an older i7. As a general rule, you want the latest generation, with an exception for audio that the 6 core i7 8700k has more bang for the buck than the 8 core i7 9700k, because the 8700k has hyperthreading

Then you also have the high end CPUs, which need a different chipset, the x299. These support CPUs up to 18 cores, give the highest performance offered by Intel, with a matching pricetag.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear
?? I thought all i7s had hyperthreading.

Bump. I forgot about watching how many cores as well. This remains complex mess to me. I'll just go for the bigger numbers. Good news is our computing power is so good now for relatively modest prices.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear