The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which 1176 Plugin? Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Which 1176 Plugin?

I have the UAD version of the 1176 plugins but now my card is being used by other stuff and I need a native 1176 plugin. I'm about to pull the trigger on the CLA 76 or Softube FET but before I do I was wondering if anyone has compared them to the Disto by Sknote? They dont have a demo and they are priced similar. Or any other recommendations? Arouser?
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

They have demos.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Ik Black 76
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, IK black 76 is excellent.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Addict

Personal fan of CLA76. I have a blackface 1176 in my rack and the "blacky" model is very close.

I also have all of the UAD 1176 models but I tend to reach for the waves when I'm looking for a 1176 plug.

Both the UAD and Waves sounds good. It all about what works for you.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Addict

I couldn’t find the disto demo. I’m going with the cla76. Thanks guys
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

I would take a look at the Stillwell Rocket.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

PSP Fetpressor
Slate
Disto may not have a demo but you can get a refund–def worth checking
Native instruments
IK
Kush Novatron
Softube Fet
CLA
All good
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

I second the IK 1176. I tested it against some others and it would definitely be the one I'd get if I couldn't use my UAD one anymore.

And I want to put a negative vote in for the mentioned NI one. It's an okay compressor, but definitely not the same ballpark as the UAD and IK.

I'd get a few demos if I were you and just spend a few hours playing with them.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
Personal fan of CLA76. I have a blackface 1176 in my rack and the "blacky" model is very close.

I also have all of the UAD 1176 models but I tend to reach for the waves when I'm looking for a 1176 plug.

This surprises me!
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

The IK Black is great... the slate stuff is great, too.

It’s not a 1:1 emu but the fetpressor is also great.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Nut

DMG trackcomp is incredible

Before I switched to it, was using NI VC76 (coded by softube), which sounded the closest to me in the blind hardware shootout threads
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This surprises me!
Likewise, but it's true.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Addict

If you’re looking for the absolute best, Tim Peterick’s U76 library for N4 is the best. Next best thing is the UAD 1176 plugins. The only thing I would use in place of those two is Arousor. I know it’s not an 1176, but a Distressor can do similar things to an 1176.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Addict
Probably the Slate is the closest to the UAD in quality. Most of the others don't model everything. But none of the ones I've tested really have the full sound of the newest UAD versions. I'd say just use the legacy UAD ones if you don't go with the Slate. Novatron has similar saturation qualities and can get the job done, it just works differently than an 1176 and won't give you the same sound as the UADs.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

I've ever owned a real 1176.

Had UAD, mki and mkii. I've compared to CLA76, and mkii smoked it to me. It wasn't close. However, I can't comment on which is closer to the original.

I sold off my UAD card, in favor of more hardware (but I like being cool). I now have a Warm Audio WA76. Can't compare directly to my UAD 1176, but man it smokes the smoke that I thought was smoked.

Needless to say, I truly get surprised when people prefer CLA76 over either of the UAD offerings, but definitely the mkii. But to each his own. Your experience is you experience.

To answer the question, if I needed an 1176 plug, I'd go IK Black76.

And SKnote Disto is AWESOME.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It’s not a 1:1 emu but the fetpressor is also great.
Great suggestion, awesome compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235711131731 View Post
DMG trackcomp is incredible

Before I switched to it, was using NI VC76 (coded by softube), which sounded the closest to me in the blind hardware shootout threads
Wasn't there issues with the 1176 mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
If you’re looking for the absolute best, Tim Peterick’s U76 library for N4 is the best. Next best thing is the UAD 1176 plugins. The only thing I would use in place of those two is Arousor. I know it’s not an 1176, but a Distressor can do similar things to an 1176.
Agree, U76 is standout (as are all TimP's comps (and plates/tapes)). Arousor also excellent as you say.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

Im quite a fan of the softube FET comp. Has some handy modern additions that are not on the hardware (side chain filters and mix).

I demo'ed a few back in the day but liked this one the best.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Addict

They all sound good. Besides a pair of Blackfaces which to be honest now a days only gets used when recording, I tend to only use plugs in mixing. I own the CLA76, UAD mkI and mkII, and the Slate 1176 plugs. They all sound good and have the same vibe.

My personal thoughts of plugs:

CLA76 sounds just like my hardware when i smash a lead vocal. The UAD mkII doesn't do quite the same thing. Its almost like the release is a bit too quick on the UAD plugs when I'm smashing a vocal. However, i found that the UAD mkII sounds closer to my hardware at percussion and bus compression then the CLA76. The slate ones are good, but i tend to reach for the CLA76 for vocal and bass gtr work and the UAD for the rest of my 1176 needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
I've ever owned a real 1176.

Had UAD, mki and mkii. I've compared to CLA76, and mkii smoked it to me. It wasn't close. However, I can't comment on which is closer to the original.

I sold off my UAD card, in favor of more hardware (but I like being cool). I now have a Warm Audio WA76. Can't compare directly to my UAD 1176, but man it smokes the smoke that I thought was smoked.

Needless to say, I truly get surprised when people prefer CLA76 over either of the UAD offerings, but definitely the mkii. But to each his own. Your experience is you experience.

To answer the question, if I needed an 1176 plug, I'd go IK Black76.

And SKnote Disto is AWESOME.
Old 19th December 2018
My impression is that CLA76 is much better than the UAD 76 legacy. The UAD76mkII is much better than CLA76. Though I agree that CLA76 has an interesting vibe.
Old 19th December 2018
I like the Softube FET a lot.
You can also grab "Ceil", a free plugin from Acustica Audio. The compressor is not entirely a FET 76 but it reacts very close to one when the release is used in the "nuke zone". For this nuke setting they sampled a real FET...there's more info in the manual.
It may not be the best for you but it's free and it's very good in general.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear
Urei 1176 E vs Slate VMR FG-116 PART 2

Slate Digital’s 1176 is one of the best I’ve heard! Here’s a post I did comparing my hardware to Slates plugin 1176. It was a coin toss for anyone to tell the difference.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

I have Slate and IK one, from my experience they're both on the same level soundwise, but Slate seems quicker in terms of workflow (with the option to Shift+click to adjust Input/Output knobs simultaneously), and also there are a few more flavors with the Vintage/Modern modules by Slate, I find myself reaching for the Modern one quite often. But sometimes Distressor (FG-Stress) does the job even better for me than the 1176, LA-2A
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
They all sound good. Besides a pair of Blackfaces which to be honest now a days only gets used when recording, I tend to only use plugs in mixing. I own the CLA76, UAD mkI and mkII, and the Slate 1176 plugs. They all sound good and have the same vibe.

My personal thoughts of plugs:

CLA76 sounds just like my hardware when i smash a lead vocal. The UAD mkII doesn't do quite the same thing. Its almost like the release is a bit too quick on the UAD plugs when I'm smashing a vocal. However, i found that the UAD mkII sounds closer to my hardware at percussion and bus compression then the CLA76. The slate ones are good, but i tend to reach for the CLA76 for vocal and bass gtr work and the UAD for the rest of my 1176 needs.
Very interesting observation!
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonosterhage View Post
I have the UAD version of the 1176 plugins but now my card is being used by other stuff and I need a native 1176 plugin. I'm about to pull the trigger on the CLA 76 or Softube FET but before I do I was wondering if anyone has compared them to the Disto by Sknote? They dont have a demo and they are priced similar. Or any other recommendations? Arouser?
I've tested several 1176 plugins on vocals the days. I have analyzed in two categories. 1. The compression behavior (Is it solid, natural, constant, does it pump?) 2. Overall sound character (stereo image, does it sound harsh ?, what happens to the S sounds) etc
What I can say for sure is that the best price-performance ratio the Sknote Disto package offers!
(Setting: Attack slightly slower than 3 (3.1 - 3.4) release somewhere between 0-1)
Other highly praised plugins do not even play in the same league!
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNto View Post
I've tested several 1176 plugins on vocals the days. I have analyzed in two categories. 1. The compression behavior (Is it solid, natural, constant, does it pump?) 2. Overall sound character (stereo image, does it sound harsh ?, what happens to the S sounds) etc
What I can say for sure is that the best price-performance ratio the Sknote Disto package offers!
(Setting: Attack slightly slower than 3 (3.1 - 3.4) release somewhere between 0-1)
Other highly praised plugins do not even play in the same league!
Yes they do (highly praised). Have you tried Arousor? FETpressor? FG-Stress? TimP's U76?
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

I have most of the ones mentioned here, slate, waves, softube, psp, uad. All the 1176 plugins are different, so it's worth trying them out for yourself. My most used comps are Arousor (it's my default in PT), PSP Oldtimer, The Glue, Novatron, and Fabfilter Pro-Mb and Pro-C2. I need to mess with FETpressor some more, I forget I have it, I really need to thin out the plugin folder. I would personally choose Arouser at this point, over any of the 1176 I have.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Guru

McDSP 6030 is on sale for $29 and includes an 1176 type compressor that that allows for variable ratio, and includes 9 other great sounding compressors. Its a no brainer.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yes they do (highly praised). Have you tried Arousor? FETpressor? FG-Stress? TimP's U76?
Yes, I´ve tried arousor on vocals too. Also good, constant, transparent, compression. Does not sound unnatural. What I don´t like is the overall sound character, I think the Aurosor is a bit too "digital" and harsh sounding in comparison. On the other side, Arousor sounds slightly more open than Disto-S. In my opinion, the old Disto V2 beats both. Yes, I`ve tried the FG 116, Ik Black 76 (Fenomenal compression behavior), CLA 76 Black and Bluey, Stillwell's Rocket and even Acusticas Tan and Ceil with fast attack and release settings. Haven´t tried the Fetpressor and Tims U76. No Nebula here...
What is/are your favorites for Vocals?
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Urei 1176 E vs Slate VMR FG-116 PART 2

Slate Digital’s 1176 is one of the best I’ve heard! Here’s a post I did comparing my hardware to Slates plugin 1176. It was a coin toss for anyone to tell the difference.
I have Slate's 1176's but haven't reached for the in a ling time. From what I remember, the release wasn't as fast as I felt it should be. Can't remember
I use the uad versions mostly, when using software but try the cla76 as well and decide which sounds best. IMO, none compare to my 4 hardware clones. SA76, 17xs, Hairball &a a wa76. In parallel, software is totally great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search