The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving from FW800 external HD to USB3 RAID enclosure: what to know
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Moving from FW800 external HD to USB3 RAID enclosure: what to know

I've been using the same external Firewire 800 enclosure, with the same disk, for recording purposes for probably eight years now, first on a 2010 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, currently on a late 2011 15" 2.2 GHz i7 Macbook Pro, and soon I'll be moving to a mid 2012 15" i7 2.3 GHz model. It's mostly been fine. Every once in a while I'll get a glitch on playback, but that's basically it. For backups I use rsync to a second external disk.

Since the "new" machine will have USB3, I'm thinking about whether it's time to make a switch to a new enclosure with RAID, so I don't have to initiate backups manually. Or I could continue to do that so I have triple redundancy. I was looking on Newegg, and it seems like the options are fairly limited in the category of dual-bay RAID-capable USB3 enclosures. A lot of them seem to have iffy reviews. This one seems to have reasonably good feedback regarding its performance.

I'm mostly wondering whether there are any pitfalls with this approach specifically as related to audio recording. I record strictly in an amateur capacity, mostly stuff with pretty straightforward rock instrumentation and execution. I don't do a lot of sample-based stuff, for what that's worth. Or is this overkill and/or liable to create new issues (like extra unwanted mechanical noise, etc)?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

USB 3

Are you sure your Macbook pro has USB 3.0?
A thunderbolt 2 external enclosure would be faster with less weight on the CPU.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

USB3 was introduced on the 2012 Macbook Pros. They still had first-gen Thunderbolt though. I know that even first-gen Thunderbolt is faster than USB3, but isn't that a moot point with spinning disk hard drives? They'll be the bottleneck in that situation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search