The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some kind of phase randomizer plugin in stereo recording? Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Some kind of phase randomizer plugin in stereo recording?

Hello,
I wonder if there is some plugin that would somehow simulate the effect of having non-coincident stereo microphone array (like ORTF) on a recording done with a coincident array (like XY or MS), introducing some randomness into the phase relations of the left and right signals.

Maybe a stupid question... but I have this Neuman USM69 stereo mic which sounds marvelous, but I miss a bit that more spacious sound of a near-coincident recording...

Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes, we call this EQ )))
You can try to EQ channels differently a bit.
You can try to use M/S processor to cut some mid.
Also, there’s Toneboosters Omnisone, it does wonderful things for “more stereo”.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Yes, we call this EQ )))
You can try to EQ channels differently a bit.
You can try to use M/S processor to cut some mid.
Also, there’s Toneboosters Omnisone, it does wonderful things for “more stereo”.
Oh thanks... didn't know EQ The only thing is, it doesn't randomize phase relations between the sides, it just changes them statically.

But still, might be good idea to experiment with that.

My question remains.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Reverb
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Randomize... ER reverb, yes. Chorus with noise as modulator.
But IMO no need for more than EQ, and you can use dynamic EQ as well.
Ofcourse, anyway you wont get “the same” sound as with 2 mics, that’s why even EQing 2 channels differently will get some aspects of it, maybe it will be enough.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

You may want to demo the NUGEN Stereoizer plugin. It has an interesting approach to stereo enhancement, and with it's many options, may produce the results you're looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks everybody for suggestions.
It will take me a while to experiment; I'll report back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I played around a bit with that Nugen Steroizer plug; seems to be able to do a lot; difficult to tell what it actually does... quite strong changes to the material.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

You might find something useful in a shuffler/grain delay with a very short delay setting with a long grain... Theoretically does exactly what you describe.

Not sure what's out there today, but GRM Tools had a good one called, incidentally, Shuffler. Eventide's Crystal Echoes patch is similar (and can be mind-numbingly extreme for your application), which I think Soundtoys emulated into Crystallyzer, but I haven't used it. Reaktor has some grain delay modules if you're the tweaking type.

$0.02
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I think Goodhertz wow control can do exactly this
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Try set both capsules to figure-8 and record in blumlein instead of XY. You’ll get a more spacious sound for sure!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Try set both capsules to figure-8 and record in blumlein instead of XY. You’ll get a more spacious sound for sure!
Thanks again everybody for advice!

As to Blumlein: I tried that, but feel that the room is not well sounding enough for that kind of recording. And it's still coincident as far as the phase behavior is concerned...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

UPDATE: I fooled around with Nugen Stereoizer. THis is an amazing piece of software, I must say.

I think that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search