The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pc to Mac /Mac to pc hardrive format/studio one Video Editing Software
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Pc to Mac /Mac to pc hardrive format/studio one

Hope this is the right sub forum...if not please direct me.
I am running a new daw...studio one 4 professional.
I have it loaded on a pc laptop windows 10 and an iMac from 2006 10.11.6

Seems to be ok but ideally I’d like to go between the Mac and pc laptop and vice versa .
What format do I keep an external hardrive in to go between pc and Mac. I read that the studio one file types are compatable but that’s confusing because if I’m using an external
HD to go between computers what format will also be compatible ? So far I’ve read that Exfat is the way to go as other pc formats don’t support files larger than 4gigs...? Which computer do younoriginally format the external drive on ? Pc or Mac and does that matter? I’m guessing Mac ... Is this a bad idea I’m general...
Studio one has internet sharing like a lot of daws these days but I prefer to use a personal external HD...
Any thoughts greatly appreciated on this subject. Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I don't know about the performances but you might want to look at Parangon NTFS:
Microsoft NTFS for Mac | Paragon Software
or
APFS for Windows | Paragon Software

It allows a Mac to use NTFS or a Windows to use APFS.
But really important, test it first because I don't know about the performances in read/write on the disk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have the Paragon NTFS for Mac and Paragon HFS for Windows products installed in my Mac Pro. I routinely go back and forth between Sierra and Win10. I've benchmarked the Paragon products against the native performance of the operating systems, and my results are generally that there is an invisible loss of performance. By that I mean that there are sometimes little variances of less than one percent between successive tests. That's either normal statistical data capture/calculation variance, or some other effect, but certainly negligible in terms of its impact on cross-platform usage.

I also have to bring home or exchange large amounts (175GB) of data captured at concerts. I use a portable case that has a 1TB Western Digital Black HDD formatted as exFAT by Windows. That gives me the flexibility to avoid thinking about whether the person exchanging files with me has a Mac or PC. At home, I prefer having most of my drives formatted as NTFS for the comfort/confidence of journaling and recovery. I keep a couple of HFS native drives for video projects in macOS because I did once see something flaky (therefore horrifying) with a macOS DaVinci Resolve project on NTFS. I didn't want to look into it further (too chicken), but I suspect the PostgreSQL brains inside of DaVinci might have something to do with it.

My Mojave/APFS machine is separate and awaiting a compelling reason to go beyond using it for MainStage, so I have nothing to offer in that context.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
EXFAT is fine. I use thumb drives an SD cards format the drives wherever
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
EXFAT is fine. I use thumb drives an SD cards format the drives wherever
Thank you
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone keeping soundsets or libraries on that external hd as well as songs/sessions?...I’m being a bit more studio one specific but any daw will do answer wise...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search