The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simple Soft Synth to pair with Juno 106 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Simple Soft Synth to pair with Juno 106

I've tried to learn and get comfortable with synth plugins in the past, but I've always moved on and back into acoustic/electric instruments, where I'm comfortable and have relatively mastery on. Most soft synths seem to have every preset try and be "push a button and it makes a song!" (arps, harmonizers, etc). I want to actually be able to PLAY the synth, not have to program 100 different parameters.

Lately I've been playing with a Juno 106 ensemble for Reaktor, and I love that it's all laid out in front of you, and that I've quickly figured out how to play with the parameters, map it to my MIDI controller, and play it expressively by manipulating knobs and my expression pedal.

What other types of poly soft synths or reaktor ensembles can you guys recommend that have a similarly simple interface, and get sounds that contrast with the Juno 106?

Thanks all!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I highly recommend Dexed in your situation; it'd be the perfect compliment to the Juno and fit your need for no fancy stuff. It's the best emulation of a Yamaha DX7 that I've heard. The DX's tonal characteristics will compliment and layer perfectly with the Juno.

It's only 8.5mb and you can download it for free here:

Dexed

You can download the complete "All The Web" preset collection for the DX7, which will work in Dexed, here:

DX7 All The Web Collection
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks Monkey Man! I'll check it out. I also am playing with a Memory Moog Reaktor ens called MX6000. Digging that as well
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No worries, man.

I think you'll enjoy Dexed; it's a beauty.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Try Arturia.

They're selling all their modeled software synths as a package for half price at the moment. V Collection 6 $249, usually $499. Sold separately they're $149 each. 21 synths in all.

Gotta be something there for you.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I'll check out the Arturia stuff. What I don't want to do is get a giant collection. I get paralyzed by choice. I want to really understand how to dial in great sounds out of 2-3 synths.
Old 5 days ago
If you are obsessive about learning the synths you have inside out, don't buy the V collection indeed! I would suggest Waves Elements 2.0 is quite simple and playable.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Dexed is cool and one of the free ones I would recommend. One really nice about it is that it is FM synthesis, which contrasts very nicely with an analog sound. It has a more "digital" and "icy" sound to go with the analog "warmth". It is a DX7 emulation. One "bad" thing about it is that it uses FM synthesis :D By that I simply mean it is quite different from other forms of synthesis, and many find it difficult.

If you don't mind paying 5 bucks, you can buy the most recent issue of Computer Music Magazine (via google play or itunes store, which is what I did) and you get a number of free synths and effects plugins. Enough to last a loooooong time. In particular I like Bazille CM (modular), Thorn CM and Dune CM.

U-he makes a free plugin called Tyrell N6 that I really like, but I think it's a juno emulation and so not different (but might be interesting to contrast with what you have). Obxd is a free Oberheim emulation. All of these sound outstanding to me.

One thing to keep in mind: some of these have built in effects and some don't. As you may know, those make a huge difference in the sound. I used to own analog synths in the 80s and always was disappointed in the "raw" sound when compared to records...well, those had expensive Lexicon reverbs and the like applied to them

Last edited by rickarick; 5 days ago at 02:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Try Roland or d16 stuff. Perfect companion for your Juno is, imho, d16 LuSH-101! Real gem. Try it out. You won't believe the sound coming out of that monster. D16 is a bit CPU thirsty but hey, you got the price pay...

Krešo
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromostheory View Post
I'll check out the Arturia stuff. What I don't want to do is get a giant collection. I get paralyzed by choice. I want to really understand how to dial in great sounds out of 2-3 synths.
That is very wise and an important thing to realise. Maybe just getting u-he Diva and sticking with that would suffice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search