The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Delay Plugins - 2018
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

Best Delay Plugins - 2018

Curious to hear everyone's top delay plugins. Let's say top three. Any new ones that piqued any interest?...or are we all still using echoboy. lol.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict
Echoboy still rocks Repeator is also great.

D16 Group Audio Software
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

U-he ColourCopy is 2018, sounds great!
But yes, besides that still Echoboy (& Jr) Audiodamage’s updated Dubstation
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict

U-he Colour Copy is really good and versatile. Does excellent chorusing too.

Audiority Echoes T7E does nice Binson sounds.

Fuse Audio Labs Bucket-500 for simple and reasonably close BBD sound.

Outer Space by Audo Thing has been out for a few years or so but is still periodically updated and probably the best RE-201 option available.

Other than those Echo Boy and Primal Tap still get lots of use.

ValhallaDSP has a new tape echo plug in the works, not sure if it will drop this year. That one will most likely be a winner.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Retro Delay has been around forever. it has plenty of functionality, some cool filtering and it's FREE

Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Acustica Audio Lemon. They sampled tons of different delays, even some tapes. Don't think of it as just a delay, but more as a box of colors. I always set the first delay to zero just for the color and look for the sampled machine I prefer on the particular sound and then add more tabs. It might be a bit tricky to automate and uses a bit of CPU, but soundwise nothing comes close IMHO.
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear
1 - Echoboy or H-Delay for bread & butter stuff, depending on how much tweaking is needed.
2 - Modnetic/Diffuse by Surreal Machines for vintage-y sounding stuff.
3 - Reaktor user library: So many great and weird delays, all for free (besides having to buy Reaktor) and you can hook up modulation sources to pretty much any parameter. Particular favourites atm are WabbelEcho and Patina Echo.

Colour Copy's ranking high on the To-Buy-List.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

yes to echoboy. I have a couple of fun ones that aren't new like izotope ddly dynamic digital delay.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I have yet to pick up Echoboy, I'm sure that'll happen before too long... and the thought of Valhalla making a tape delay plugin is very exciting, I use something of theirs basically every day between VintageVerb and Shimmer.

But my go-to for several years has been NI Replika, both the older one (which was a free promo when I got it) and the new Replika XT. For me, they have everything I need, and some really nice Andy Summers-ish warble and high-end rolloff for the gooey analog-ish sound to which I'm reasonably addicted. Like Valhalla verb, I use one of the Replikas on just about every project.

I also like Waves H-Delay whenever I pull it out, but I keep going back to NI. We'll see if Valhalla or Soundtoys will ever unseat Replika, I suppose.
Old 26th November 2018
HSi
Lives for gear

If you haven't tried this yet, you'd be crazy not too.

Sandman Pro – Unfiltered Audio
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
I have yet to pick up Echoboy, I'm sure that'll happen before too long... and the thought of Valhalla making a tape delay plugin is very exciting, I use something of theirs basically every day between VintageVerb and Shimmer.

But my go-to for several years has been NI Replika, both the older one (which was a free promo when I got it) and the new Replika XT. For me, they have everything I need, and some really nice Andy Summers-ish warble and high-end rolloff for the gooey analog-ish sound to which I'm reasonably addicted. Like Valhalla verb, I use one of the Replikas on just about every project.

I also like Waves H-Delay whenever I pull it out, but I keep going back to NI. We'll see if Valhalla or Soundtoys will ever unseat Replika, I suppose.
I actually like Replika xt for really short delays just behind the source. It can be so super clean and i find using it that way is very transparent. H delay is also on my use list, but it's not exactly new either.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I actually like Replika xt for really short delays just behind the source. It can be so super clean and i find using it that way is very transparent. H delay is also on my use list, but it's not exactly new either.
Agreed, I think the Replikas are very clean while still offering some subtle, nice, shimmery modulation if you tweak them just right. They just seem to work, and their interface is so damn easy, too.
Old 26th November 2018
NI Replika +1000
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Maniac

AAS Objeq Delay is fantastic.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

after demoing another analog style delay that was on sale and mentioned above, I also gave Colour Copy a demo and promptly bought it at full pop... very happy with my decision. Sounds insane.

I'm also very partial to Boz Imperial Delay
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
after demoing another analog style delay that was on sale and mentioned above, I also gave Colour Copy a demo and promptly bought it at full pop... very happy with my decision. Sounds insane.

I'm also very partial to Boz Imperial Delay
+1 . can get some cray cray with this plug
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear
Exponential Audio Excalibur is great as well
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

There is no such thing as “best” it’s purely subjective. Ask that question in here and you’ll get 20 different answers, you might even start a verbal brawl or 2!!

One person can’t be right and everyone else wrong. In fact, it’s more likely they are all right. It’s just subject to what you are looking for in a delay and how you intend to use it. Price, tech support, stability and workflow are also important elements to consider.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have most of the PSP delays, plus the D16 Sigmund and Softube Tube Delay. And I hardly ever use them, because Echoboy just works. (Although speaking of Soundtoys, one alternative delay that I do sometimes use is Primal Tap, because it has a distinct, usefully low-fi sound and an easy interface.)
Old 28th November 2018
Besides those already mentioned, check out u-he's MFM2 (a MOTHER of a delay), Sonic Charge's Echobode, and D16's Tekturon. They're all worth a spin or two.

r,
j,
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear

EchoBoy GUI tweak

+1 to EchoBoy. H-delay also nice and easy.

I would like to share my little adventure on EchoBoy delay.

I just recently wanted to add one special delay to my collection, so I made my research and compared different plugins. I have to admit that although I had heard a lot good about EchoBoy. At fist, without hearing it, it did not seem to me the most attractive option. However, EchoBoy was the first idea that came to my mind, I wanted to look further, are there other options. Why bother? First of all EchoBoy is a quite old plugin if not to say ancient (referring its manual, it is released in 2006), secondly the choice for today's newcomers is quite large and some alternative choices may be visually much more attractive and may seem at first glance more sophisticated.

I did my research and tested various options, did not go too crazy with that. One of the things I discovered is how new and “gorgeous” looking plugins often take much more processor resources and the sound is not necessarily better, but we're leaving this topic right now. At the end of my research I turned my face to EchoBoy because its capabilities and sound suited best for me, I really like how it sounds and this is the most important.

So I bought the EchoBoy and do not regret it. However, one thing bothered me quite much from the first moment and I could not get over it - in my opinion the plugin does not have the best GUI (Graphical User Interface), the buttons disappear into the background and I felt that it tired me a lot. I ended up changing it's GUI a bit - I made buttons more clear and basically just tried to improved its overall contrast. Please do not get me wrong, it's not an art work, it's just my fix to make it easy to use. The GUI change was very simple, I changed and replaced some image files in the plugins Recources folder. Just in case, I would like to mention that I made changes only in image files, with that it does not actually change the plugin sound anyhow

Along with my little GUI change, I'm very pleased with this plugin and enjoy using it, it is one of my favorite!

So thats my story. If anyone is interested about my little GUI change, just send me a private message, I can share my files.

Cheers, cheers, cheers! < wow there is also some cool delay.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Delay Plugins - 2018-1.jpg   Best Delay Plugins - 2018-2.jpg   Best Delay Plugins - 2018-3.jpg  
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sott View Post
+1 to EchoBoy. H-delay also nice and easy.

I would like to share my little adventure on EchoBoy delay.
That's a cool and tasteful change. I like it. I have to admit I've never found the Echoboy interface a problem, in fact I like it a lot, though I can see where you were coming from.

What I think Soundtoys is really good at, that a lot of plugin makers aren't, is basic design concepts like symmetry, hierarchy, and negative space. Little things like the way the "Mix" knob is slightly elevated over the Echo knobs in the left panel, and the way there's just the right amount of space around everything to make it easy to focus on each element while also grokking the relationships between them.

Compare that with the PSP Echo interface (attached). Echo is a great plug that can do a lot of the things Echoboy does just as well. But I choose Echoboy over it every time, because I can find everything quickly and it doesn't make my head hurt. This isn't a matter of bells and whistles or shiny surfaces; it's a matter of good bread-and-butter design (and of course this is just my own response -- others may see the two interfaces quite differently).
Attached Thumbnails
Best Delay Plugins - 2018-screen-shot-2018-11-28-10.43.15-am.jpg  
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Addict

Sonic Charge Permut8 with and without the Pong firmware. Incredibly unique sounding delay.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

H-Delay is a personal fav. I think I already said earlier. It’s quick to setup, it offers a few different circuit topologies (analogue models) via the Analog control. No it’s not 4 flavours of noise. The Lo-Fi does this bit crushing thing like earlier digital delays. 12 bit I think.

While Sandman is alos great, I also like the simplicity of Instant Delay. That too is fast to setup, while still offering a few choices in sonic texture.

Speed isn’t everything, having lots of creative choices can be be a powerful thing, but unless you’ve done you’re “sound design before hand it can really kill productivity trying to dial in the right settings.
Old 10th December 2018
bx_delay_2500 has taken over for me, freaking LOVE that thing.
Old 10th December 2018
I really like Ableton's Echo Plugin. It's very versatile and sounds great. Otherwise I'm using hardware delay.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Addict

Lately, I’m all over Soundtoys Primal Tap.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

I love Primal Tap for short delays! H-Delay and Echboy are mainstays for me. Crystalizer is handy when I want something more unusual.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Anybody tested the MTurboDelay | MeldaProduction ?

BTW, for Melda I highly recommend the Plasmonium style (It is free)
Plasmonium_DS Style - KVR Audio
Old 11th December 2018
1: EchoBoy
2: Replika by Native Instruments
3: H-Delay By Waves

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search