The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What interface / ADDA / monitor controller / preamp combination?
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Nut
What interface / ADDA / monitor controller / preamp combination?

hi guys!
I'm planning the gear for my new studio (so much fun!) and I'm a bit puzzled on the whole interface AD/DA preamp controller situation. I hope you can help me.

The studio is 5.1 (film) and also stereo (music), so I want to A/B between those 2 sets of speakers.
I want at least an accessible volume knob, mono, and A/B switch. 1 headphone amp. Soloing each 5.1 channel would be nice but not neccesary.
I need at least 8 preamps (at least 1 decent one, minimum RME quality) and 8 line ins, so 16 in overall. 8 out will go to 5.1 (6 speakers) and 1 stereo pair.

I see those options and hope you have more and better ones for me:

- motu 828es (has controlling knobs, and 8 line in/out) + RME octapre
- some 8channel RME interface + drawmer 7.1 monitor conroller + later some 8ch adat extension
- RME madiface + drawmer 7.1 + some madi xx channel thing
- ?

so you see my budget doesn't allow some dangerous music contoller etc... 4000,- € is about what I want to spend maximum. something like the motu828es but better would be great!

somebody told me to use RME + ARC USB, but monitoring with ARC and TotalMix (especially switching A/B speakers) is not working for me.

<3
jean
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Nut
too general? :(
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Metric Halo ULN8 seems to tick all of your boxes, you might want to give it a look and then hit the MH user list serve with questions - if I remember correctly (not on the list anymore) there were more then a few 5.1 users on there. The new upgrade has a pretty powerful feature set, flexibility and routing options for both going out of the box and routing audio inside the software.
Old 2nd December 2018
Gear Nut
thanks swafford!

sadly I haven't got firewire, just the nowadays usual usb/thunderbolt :/

also, it looks a bit clumsy to handle, and there is no speaker A/B option on the front. so it wouldn't work as a all-in-one solution, but maybe in combination?

any more suggestions?
Old 2nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandado View Post
thanks swafford!

also, it looks a bit clumsy to handle, and there is no speaker A/B option on the front. so it wouldn't work as a all-in-one solution, but maybe in combination?

any more suggestions?
Second the MH.. nice sounding and full featured box, with the new 3d cards looks very much future proof. I like that.

Rme is also a rock solid choice..
Check out if it has all the feats YOU need!

Cheu
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

RME with the remote for monitor controller.
I had with UFX and it worked.

Matti
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandado View Post
thanks swafford!

any more suggestions?
That's OK since the new version (in public beta) works off ethernet or USB-C. The speaker A/B option would be available via a hardware controller.

https://mhsecure.com/3dEarlyAccess/
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Nut
thanks, I'm gonna look into it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search