The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gullfoss or Oeksound Soothe?
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if Soothe ever goes on sale?
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've not used Gullfoss so maybe I should...but I find I rarely have to tweak soothe at all other than the depth (and maybe a focus point or two).

I usually pop it on, overdo it and back it off...it just works, especially on shrill singers.
Lol

I find that if I dicker around with the default settings on Soothe I just end up making it sound progressively worse... that default setting is pretty spot on!
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Nut

Are you using gulfoss before you send it out the outboard gear or after near the final chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Have both
Use both
Love both
Soothe on vocals is awesome
Gullfoss on the 2bus with a max of 20/20 just finishes a mix off beautifully.
I also like Gullfoss on a master
And the de-ess master Soothe preset is great too.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Last time I checked Soothe was waaaay too expensive.. anyway I demoed that and MSpectral Dynamics around this time last year, both of which seemed to do something really unnatural and strange to the sources. Even the Kick/bass sidechain preset in MSpec. sounded weird to me.. Tbh I’d just rather stay away from these types of plugins and keep it simple.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
Last time I checked Soothe was waaaay too expensive.. anyway I demoed that and MSpectral Dynamics around this time last year, both of which seemed to do something really unnatural and strange to the sources. Even the Kick/bass sidechain preset in MSpec. sounded weird to me.. Tbh I’d just rather stay away from these types of plugins and keep it simple.
soothe seems like a luxury buy. i think it definitely worked for what it was supposed to do at easily removing unpleasant resonances in a sophisticated way but i think 100 USD would be a much more reasonable price. guilfoss is cheaper and it does more
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren View Post
Are you using gulfoss before you send it out the outboard gear or after near the final chain?
update....
sorry - was half asleep when I saw your question
Here's some more detail....

I run my PT session out 30 converter outputs (HDX card - Antelope Audio Orion HD)
Into my console with hardware (56 inputs)
The finished analog stereo mix comes in (PT Aux track - Mix Bus In) to my session
I then put the attached plugins on (digital mix bus)
And print a finished stereo mix to an audio track in real time via (2 Buss Aux)
Gullfoss is my 2nd plugin - always best to use it before dynamics etc
Just gentle smoothing of frequencies - plus I use the 'Brighten' control to adjust the overall high end content of the mix
I use Soothe (Master De-ess) after the Weiss but before my final limiting just to tidy up the high frequencies.
Great chain - get an awesome result

Hope that helps....
Attached Thumbnails
Gullfoss or Oeksound Soothe?-screen-shot-2019-10-12-11.23.20-am.png   Gullfoss or Oeksound Soothe?-glasshouse-studios-late-2019.jpg  
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

I'm fixing some multitrack stuff from 1969. My plan, after doing a bit of reading, is to do some corrective eq surgery on each track by setting an instance of sonible smart eq2.... and maybe their smart comp...... See if the results jazz me..... print eight new multis.... and then send off for mixing. As I hate mixing. Perhaps a little cleanup of the tracks will make a mix engineer's work easier/faster.

I know there are pros/cons to this kind of thinking.

But more to the point.... I haven't been able to figure out if either Gullfoss or Soothe are useable for one-track-at-a-time surgery. It seems both are more suited on complete mixes. And it seems...at least from what I've read so far.... that the Sonible stuff may have both beat for this particular use. The smart eq and smart compressor concept is really interesting to me. Way more than typical match eq etc stuff.
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I'm fixing some multitrack stuff from 1969. My plan, after doing a bit of reading, is to do some corrective eq surgery on each track by setting an instance of sonible smart eq2.... and maybe their smart comp...... See if the results jazz me..... print eight new multis.... and then send off for mixing. As I hate mixing. Perhaps a little cleanup of the tracks will make a mix engineer's work easier/faster.

But more to the point.... I haven't been able to figure out if either Gullfoss or Soothe are useable for one-track-at-a-time surgery. It seems both are more suited on complete mixes. And it seems...at least from what I've read so far.... that the Sonible stuff may have both beat for this particular use. The smart eq and smart compressor concept is really interesting to me. Way more than typical match eq etc stuff.
I would leave that for the mix engineer
Soothe is great for individual tracks IMHO
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
soothe seems like a luxury buy. i think it definitely worked for what it was supposed to do at easily removing unpleasant resonances in a sophisticated way but i think 100 USD would be a much more reasonable price. guilfoss is cheaper and it does more
But it’s also known to add artifacts in the process. Not a free lunch. Which is why I’d say $50...tops
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
update....

I run my PT session out 30 converter outputs (HDX card - Antelope Audio Orion HD)
The finished analog stereo mix comes in (PT Aux track - Mix Bus In) to my session
Just gentle smoothing of frequencies - plus I use the 'Brighten' control to adjust the overall high end content of the mix
I use Soothe (Master De-ess) after the Weiss but before my final limiting just to tidy up the high frequencies.

Hope that helps....
Thank you for the tips.
Do you apply HPF on your bx_townhouse?
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
Thank you for the tips.
Do you apply HPF on your bx_townhouse?
Yes
Usually around 120 hz
And a mix of 75%
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes
Usually around 120 hz
And a mix of 75%
Thank you
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks for the detailed reply. Similar to how I would do it. However, sometimes I will master tracks and was playing around with the idea of using the gulfoss before sending to the analog chains.

Quote:
update....

Hope that helps....
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Similar to how I would do it. However, sometimes I will master tracks and was playing around with the idea of using the gulfoss before sending to the analog chains.
I would do that if sending a stereo file out to analog comps.
The general rule is to try and always use Gullfoss before compression.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Good point by Anguswoodhead "The general rule is to try and always use Gullfoss before compression."
If you use Gullfoss before compressions, you may find your source doesn't require as much compression to be heard or sit in the mix effectively.
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
It’s certainly possible to mash things with soothe if you overdo it. I’ll usually deliberately overdo it, then back it off quite a way. If I’m dealing with something really ringy or resonant, I’ll often deal with things either by RXing it or by a couple of deep notches. But used carefully and not expecting miracles, I don’t notice any artefacts.

I’ve never used or even heard of MSpec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
It’s always nicer to have cheaper, but soothe has more than made its money back for me - I use it on every project! It was worth it just for mixing a musical cast recording, to control the shrillness of the female chorus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

Yes soothe is fine on individual tracks - I never use it on the master and rarely groups (partly because it’s a high latency plug, and eats up delay comp in PT HDX!).
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But it’s also known to add artifacts in the process. Not a free lunch. Which is why I’d say $50...tops
"Known" by who? To our knowledge, Gullfoss does not add any artefacts at all. All it does is reveal what you already have in the source. Of course, if your source contains noise and distortion, then that may become audible if you are not careful. But even then you can still use Gullfoss with conservative settings, focusing on taming and using the frequency range limiters.

Andreas
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atell View Post
"Known" by who? To our knowledge, Gullfoss does not add any artefacts at all. All it does is reveal what you already have in the source. Of course, if your source contains noise and distortion, then that may become audible if you are not careful. But even then you can still use Gullfoss with conservative settings, focusing on taming and using the frequency range limiters.

Andreas
lol I never even mentioned Gulfoss friend
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
lol I never even mentioned Gulfoss friend
If you were not referring to Gullfoss, then you need to be more careful about how you quote. The last plugin your quoted reference is mentioning is Gullfoss, which, by the rules of English grammar and semantics, is the subject of your statement.

Andreas
Old 13th October 2019
The point is
When used properly
Neither of these plugins create unwanted artefacts
That’s my experience anyway
If used to heavily both do of course.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The point is
When used properly
Neither of these plugins create unwanted artefacts
That’s my experience anyway
If used to heavily both do of course.
You can read about what happens when people have been too liberal with the use of Soothe. My point was it’s not a free lunch. Not a magic crap fixer and for the small amount of use it may get for me was not worth the price! My opinion only!!!

Last edited by cjack2020; 13th October 2019 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: too*
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
You can read about what happens when people have been to liberal with the use of Soothe. My point was it’s not a free lunch. Not a magic crap fixer and for the small amount of use it may get for me was not worth the price! My opinion only!!!
For me how it de harshes vocals is an absolute winner.
It’s the only place I use it.
Apart from deesser on my 2 bus.
5% here / 3% there all adds up.

This song has that approach
Plus Gullfoss on the 2 bus.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmcjxy3153...-2019.wav?dl=0
Old 14th October 2019
Quote:
You can read about what happens when people have been too liberal with the use of Soothe. My point was it’s not a free lunch. Not a magic crap fixer and for the small amount of use it may get for me was not worth the price! My opinion only!!!
And you're welcome to it! One could say the same for every piece of processing though. I agree plugins that aren't "straightforward" can do as much harm as they do good. It's all in the application.

Quote:
For me how it de harshes vocals is an absolute winner.
It’s the only place I use it.
Apart from deesser on my 2 bus.
5% here / 3% there all adds up.
guitars that are more attack (acoustic) or hash (electric) than note.

Violin (and other strings).

overheads that needed a more appropriate mic/better cymbals.

Rooms (for the same thing).

I wouldn't necessarily use it on ALL those places at once - but I definitely have done.

Their plugin "spiff" I don't find nearly so useful, other than to tame basses that are too attacky. But I've not delved into it so much.
Old 14th October 2019
Actually now that you mention it, I did use Soothe on violin with excellent results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
And you're welcome to it! One could say the same for every piece of processing though. I agree plugins that aren't "straightforward" can do as much harm as they do good. It's all in the application.

guitars that are more attack (acoustic) or hash (electric) than note.

Violin (and other strings).

overheads that needed a more appropriate mic/better cymbals.

Rooms (for the same thing).

I wouldn't necessarily use it on ALL those places at once - but I definitely have done.

Their plugin "spiff" I don't find nearly so useful, other than to tame basses that are too attacky. But I've not delved into it so much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have both. If I can only choose one I will choose Soothe. Soothe just too useful to a point. I slap it in most of my buses. This plugin is genius!
Gullfoss is a very handy tool if you are happy with your mix but want some final tonal balancing without the hassle of going thru every EQs again. Gullfoss offers a quick fix for you. I also slap Gullfoss in my master automatically now.

However I can live without Gullfoss but I can't really live without Soothe now, I am thinking to buy Spiff as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought and love Gullfoss but only at low settings. I haven’t used Soothe but found Airwindows Acceleration plugin to be perfect for taking highs and harshness.
Old 1 week ago
Or? Get both, my friend. I've just tested them extensively today (CET time). Soothe helps with individual tracks and handles problematic resonances, while gullfoss is a master bus magic wand, giving yout some extra touch of dynamic auto-eq.

They won't solve your problems without you participating in the process with full spectrum of your audio knowledge, but they actually do help, which is pretty much.

Take a look at Sonible Smart:EQ 2, too. This isn't dynamic/wandering type of eq, but a static one, yet it delivers some decent ideas on eq-ing tracks, just to start with.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I tried Gullfoss but I found it makes overall sound worse (to my ears). I only applied small amounts at a time, like tame or recover 5-15% no more, but while I focus on a specific part of the aound or mix and it seems it's doing a tiny bit better there, once I sort of zoom out and start listening to the whole mix, I find out something's happening to it, something bad, it becomes harsher and loses smoothness, like going to lesser speakers. I tried it on separate channels, buses, mixbus, same story, never worked. Gullfoss does create that false sense of brightness and clarity (which seems like more of HF boost) that initially makes you think it's magical, but anyway, after a few days of trying it on different mixes with different settings I didn't find one instance of it doing any good so I tossed it out. I don't know if it's my mixes or my ears, but I didn't like its sound at all. Disapppinted because everyone raves about it. Haven't tried Soothe yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
I tried Gullfoss but I found it makes overall sound worse (to my ears)........
Interesting. Many mixing engineers are very happy with Gullfoss, and use it on all their mixes. It features regularly in Mix with the Masters tutorials. Maybe you need to look at your mixes.....or maybe your mixes are so good they don't need GF (I'm not being flippant, BTW).

This from Soundtheory's FB page ....

"We've found that a hierarchical approach works well with Gullfoss. So we're using several instances - on group busses, the master bus and, in quite a few cases, also on the tracks. In general, having many instances work with lower settings on parts of the mix is preferable to having one single instance on the master bus. If Gullfoss is working very hard to improve your sound (that means if the EQ graph is very busy or if it uses very high gains), then it may also be a good idea to use a static EQ before Gullfoss to help it a little and make it work less hard. If a static EQ doesn't cut it and it's coming from a bus, then looking into the balance of the feeding tracks might be worthwhile."

and

"Don’t use strong compression before Gullfoss!

There are two main reasons why we recommend not to use compressors before Gullfoss: Firstly, hard compression, and especially multi-band compression, irreversibly removes information from the signal that can help Gullfoss to improve the audible structure of the signal. So, compressing after Gullfoss is often the better approach. However, a reasonable amount of track compression before Gullfoss is certainly acceptable."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
update....

Hope that helps....
Any reason on why do you use another brickwall limiter after masterdesk's brickwall limiter?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search