The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gullfoss or Oeksound Soothe?
Old 9th June 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
 
blackcom's Avatar
 

I have booth and they are awesome plugs. I usually prefer Gullfoss.
Old 9th June 2019
  #32
I don’t know why the two are being compared really? I may even have already posted this in this thread. But......

Soothe is supposed to help tame resonant frequencies that typically appear in recorded tracks, where the room might be part of the sound or an instrument or voice with a resonance at a particular frequency.

Gullfoss is supposed to help balance a track or even better yet a mix where some frequencies might be dominant or suppressed.

They’re not trying to be the same thing.
Old 9th June 2019
  #33
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
i thought soothe was meant to be used primarily on vocals


best to read the tin before applying!

it totally says so on their site ( i see that now )

Something they should implement for v2.. Source type
Old 9th June 2019
  #34
Lives for gear
 
DrAudioBot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It's a dynamic EQ - it's not compression on each band, but EQ attenuation. yes, it kind of does a similar thing to multiband compression, but the curves/triggers are different.

soothe is a notch-focussed dynamic EQ.
Incorrect.

It is compression tied to each band. Attack/Release shapes a curve. The real difference to a traditional MBC is that it‘s EQ bands and not frequency „regions“ split up by crossover bands, which has the benefit of being totally transparent if no dynamic action is happening.
Old 9th June 2019
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Incorrect.

It is compression tied to each band. Attack/Release shapes a curve. The real difference to a traditional MBC is that it‘s EQ bands and not frequency „regions“ split up by crossover bands, which has the benefit of being totally transparent if no dynamic action is happening.
Assume you’re talking about TDR Nova, since soothe is very clearly a dynamic EQ?

https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe/

I’d have to look into it more to confirm or contradict what you’re claiming, but I find tdr nova in dynamic mode is very different to something like c4.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 21st June 2019 at 12:07 PM..
Old 21st June 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
 

I’d be tempted just to put these type of things on a submix or a mixbuss even if just to learn from them.

Much in the same way you can use a “match eq”. Use these tools to try and improve the sound and then study them to see where your mix is deficient, fix those tracks and then rinse and repeat. It’s kind of like having a second opinion. Some changes you will make and think that maybe it’s not an improvement so then you just simply don’t stick with those changes.

Anything that offers you another perspective is a powerful thing.
Old 21st June 2019
  #37
Using Gullfoss, no experience with Soothe or Intensity. It seems I don't like treble much so my mixes always come out super dark. Gullfoss helps me make my mixes sound more "normal." I'm primarily using Recover (20-40 % usually) and then maybe 10 % Brighten. Never Boost. The loudness compensated bypass is a Godsend.
Old 21st June 2019
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’d be tempted just to put these type of things on a submix or a mixbuss even if just to learn from them.

Much in the same way you can use a “match eq”. Use these tools to try and improve the sound and then study them to see where your mix is deficient, fix those tracks and then rinse and repeat. It’s kind of like having a second opinion. Some changes you will make and think that maybe it’s not an improvement so then you just simply don’t stick with those changes.

Anything that offers you another perspective is a powerful thing.
Soothe is a dynamic process though. It works the way it does so you’re not processing more than you have to!
Old 22nd June 2019
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’d be tempted just to put these type of things on a submix or a mixbuss even if just to learn from them.

Much in the same way you can use a “match eq”. Use these tools to try and improve the sound and then study them to see where your mix is deficient, fix those tracks and then rinse and repeat. It’s kind of like having a second opinion. Some changes you will make and think that maybe it’s not an improvement so then you just simply don’t stick with those changes.

Anything that offers you another perspective is a powerful thing.
The way I use Gulfoss is not to add it or have in bypass until I feel my mix is where it's supposed to be. I also use Snarworks for my room and I use Span to give me visual queues to how the mix is balanced.

So Before Gulfoss most of my mixes are already sounding great and translate well, but somehow 8/10 Gulfoss improves the balance somehow and it's kind of difficult to simulate by just taking it off and doing some subtle EQ on the mix bus. I typically only seem to use less than 10% however of tame and/or recover.
Old 22nd June 2019
  #40
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I’ve only used soothe, but I wouldn’t be without it now - it gets used on everything I do.

Don’t know if that helps, but I wouldn’t regret the purchase!

I don’t know if spiff is worth it - anyone used that? I only occasionally touch transient designers as it is.
Can I ask, is this mostly in vocals? Or what else (or bits of everything)?
Old 23rd June 2019
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Can I ask, is this mostly in vocals? Or what else (or bits of everything)?
Vocals, guitars, cymbals or overheads, sometimes strings, acoustic guitars. I’ll often use izotope rx to notch out very prominent squeals or painful overtones, but it’s so useful as a general keep things in check - I mixed a cast recording full of shrill female singers and it really saved the day!
Old 25th June 2019
  #42
Deleted 5edf3fa
Guest
What I dont understand why no other company made a similar plugin to Soothe. Sounds like a very simple idea and yet two years later... nothing. Instead we get daily versions of the freaking Pultec .
Old 25th June 2019
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Another wrinkle: Sonible smart comp. Again, not the same, but similar approach.
Old 27th July 2019
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Vocals, guitars, cymbals or overheads, sometimes strings, acoustic guitars. I’ll often use izotope rx to notch out very prominent squeals or painful overtones, but it’s so useful as a general keep things in check - I mixed a cast recording full of shrill female singers and it really saved the day!
Oh shrill female theatrical singers... a scenario that I know all to well. Although, as a performer, not a sound engineer.
Old 27th July 2019
  #45
I have both. I use both. I like both.

But really, soothe and Gullfoss are not the same. I like them both.

And thanks to Soundtheory, they made perfect video tutorials which explain how it works
Old 12th September 2019
  #46
Gear Addict
 
ajscent's Avatar
 

Gullfoss is so great - soothe is so great - totally not the same thing -
gullfoss - say you got two melodys going - and you know they work but it could be better ... stick them in a bus with gullfoss and it will sort it out like no other
soothe - say you got resonance in bass or hissy things up high or horrid scratch bits in upper mids - this thing will sort it out so easily and its so smooth

both are great
Old 20th September 2019
  #47
Here for the gear
 

I use Gullfoss on the mix bus. Everything glues together and I find I gain clarity and balance in a very subtle and transparent way. I tend to make it work only in the midrange. I don't use it to make my mix brighter or to add more bass. Sometimes I end up missing some warmness but It's nothing I can't recover with a wide and gentle boost in the 300-1000hz area after the plugin. The overall result is more balance, glue and clarity. It just a final touch though, I don't think it can fix a bad mix.

About soothe, I tried it but didn't buy it. It works great on individual tracks if you need to fix resonances. Works perfect with resonances in vocal tracks. But since I work more with synths and samples, it's not much worth for me right now.
Old 21st September 2019
  #48
Lives for gear
 

I couldn't get into soothe? Really could not hear a difference so I must didn't have much resonances in the vocals. Gullfoss is another story just so easy to use and worth every penny.
Old 21st September 2019
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I couldn't get into soothe? Really could not hear a difference so I must didn't have much resonances in the vocals. Gullfoss is another story just so easy to use and worth every penny.
Really? even if there's not a "problem" as such, you crank up the depth and you'll hear the effect (which probably will be overkill at that point!). It'd be impossible not to.
Old 21st September 2019
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Really? even if there's not a "problem" as such, you crank up the depth and you'll hear the effect (which probably will be overkill at that point!). It'd be impossible not to.
I heard a difference when I maxed out everything, but i mean in conservative settings It was really subtle if at all. Gullfoss is instant gratification.

Last edited by trevon; 21st September 2019 at 02:03 PM..
Old 21st September 2019
  #51
Have both
Use both
Love both
Soothe on vocals is awesome
Gullfoss on the 2bus with a max of 20/20 just finishes a mix off beautifully.
I also like Gullfoss on a master
And the de-ess master Soothe preset is great too.
Old 22nd September 2019
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I heard a difference when I maxed out everything, but i mean in conservative settings It was really subtle if at all. Gullfoss is instant gratification.
I've not used Gullfoss so maybe I should...but I find I rarely have to tweak soothe at all other than the depth (and maybe a focus point or two).

I usually pop it on, overdo it and back it off...it just works, especially on shrill singers.
Old 22nd September 2019
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've not used Gullfoss so maybe I should...but I find I rarely have to tweak soothe at all other than the depth (and maybe a focus point or two).

I usually pop it on, overdo it and back it off...it just works, especially on shrill singers.
I plan on buying it but I seriously have yet to have a real need for it. The demo is over, so I guess I'll have to go off memory of it's good it not. Gullfoss is a god send. No lie. It does something that traditional eqing just can't replicate easily. Should really check it out. No matter how much I eq when I put in the master and set to only effect 200-300 and above it works wonders. It can effect the lowend, but you can set it to only effect certain frequencies.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I plan on buying it but I seriously have yet to have a real need for it. The demo is over, so I guess I'll have to go off memory of it's good it not. Gullfoss is a god send. No lie. It does something that traditional eqing just can't replicate easily. Should really check it out. No matter how much I eq when I put in the master and set to only effect 200-300 and above it works wonders. It can effect the lowend, but you can set it to only effect certain frequencies.
I should demo it...it looks a bit like it’s cheating to me, but I should probably get over myself there....I don’t generally like multiband processing on mixbuss but maybe this is a bit different?

Not the cheapest tool in the world so I think I’ll demo when feeling flush!

What latency penalty does it impose do you know?
Old 23rd September 2019
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
ChrisNunchuck's Avatar
psycho_monkey,
Both Gullfoss and Soothe are great tools and accomplish different tasks. Some engineers may have looked at console automation and flying faders as cheating when they were first introduced. I will still often EQ after Gullfoss but I let it clean up the source first.
In Cubase at 48khz,
Soothe reports 92.9ms
Gullfoss reports 22.1ms
I hope that helps.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
psycho_monkey,
Both Gullfoss and Soothe are great tools and accomplish different tasks. Some engineers may have looked at console automation and flying faders as cheating when they were first introduced. I will still often EQ after Gullfoss but I let it clean up the source first.
In Cubase at 48khz,
Soothe reports 92.9ms
Gullfoss reports 22.1ms
I hope that helps.
Thanks for that. Yes I'm well aware that it's a perception thing (although FF is more of a manual thing than not knowing what to do; my issues with the CLA plugs etc is that they may sound instantly great, but if you don't know what they're doing you'll be stuck when they don't!).

Thanks for the latency stats; the downside to soothe is that if you ever want to use it in conjunction with other high latency plugs like autotune or their own spiff, or with UAD, you can max out delay comp on HDX. Doesn't look like that'll be as much of an issue here.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #57
In addition, I now really want to go to Iceland...
Old 23rd September 2019
  #58
Gear Head
 

I usually use Soothe on narrow bits of frequency spectrum, usually <1octave. I don't like how it sounds on wider ranges. Another tool for that kind of work is SpectralShaper from Ozone, but it gets used less than Soothe.

On the other hand I use Gullfoss on broad spectrum, and it does not work for me when focused only on some narrow band. Similar is Neutron's Sculptor, which can get really awesome if used in moderation.

Don't forget MSpectralDynamics, which has its own bag of tricks. It doesn't sound as good as Soothe or Gullfoss out of the box, but can work in both wide and narrow contexts and its tweakability is second to none. One feature I like is sidechain – great for making a bit of room if bussing together doesn't work or for having a special kind of gate.

If you have funds for only one, then MSpectralDynamics is something to consider (wait for a 50% discount), but you will have to tweak it to achieve a desired sound. Otherwise consider the particular application you have in mind, is it taming harshness and ringing, or is it improving overall consistency, balance and cohesiveness?
Old 10th October 2019
  #59
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Another wrinkle: Sonible smart comp. Again, not the same, but similar approach.
It is really really not the same tho.
Old 10th October 2019
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
wheever's Avatar
 

I have both. They're very different, and do very different things. Each is amazing at what it does. I highly recommend both!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump