The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any of you running a Linux studio? DAW Software
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear
I run a linux daw.

I just installed the KX Studio Repos on my ubuntu boxes and got going.

I run a combo of:

Fl Studio 20 in WINE.
Ardour/Mixbus.
the Hydrogen Drum Machine
Zynaddsubfx

with:

Boss SP-505,
Roland SP-606,
Korg microSTATION

My DJ rig runs Mixxx 2.1 alongside Mixmeister 7 in WINE
with a few controllers.

it's a hobbyist setup but i can do what i want with it and i do make money off it. (though i wouldn't call myself a pro)

if your going to make music on Linux you may have to let go of the windows / MacOS way of doing things: "one App to rule them all." isn't the way things are done in Linux (all though you can find a few apps that do pull this off).

in Linux audio is a collective effort and no one uses one app.

you get a "session handler" and use JACK (A Low latency audio backend) to connect different apps to "create your own daw" so to speak.

Renoise, Bitwig, Ardour, Tracktion, Reaper and EnergyXT are the big players in the "One App to Rule them All" audio software style.

but there's just so much "free" in Linux that you wind up just using the "free stuff."

and jack is such an important bridge to learn to use, you just wind-up using it instead of opening a plug-in.

if you want windows / mac style workflow on Linux than bitwig is your guy.
or fl20 in wine. works much better than 8-11 did for me.

but no matter what,... you'll just wind-up using the free apps and plugs, instead of buying new stuff or even going through the trouble of warezing. it's just there.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

I've been exclusively Linux for everything, audio and otherwise, for about 12 years now. Even when I started recording on the computer I couldn't bring myself to go back to Windows. I did finally install a Windows partition a few months ago for updating firmware on various synths and sequencers but that's all I use it for.
Ardour is pretty close to "One App to Rule them All", as you put it. The MIDI abilities are a little lacking but with 6.0 that's supposed to get addressed. The only thing I do with MIDI in the DAW is occasionally record MIDI tracks from my electric drum kit or one of the synths and then feed that back out to whatever hardware to track different sounds.
Finally, you should consider contributing something to the projects you use, especially if you're making some money of it. Ardour team will let you make a one-time donation or a monthly donation as little as $1. Ardour takes a lot of work and the work is definitely put in there. I first tried using it about 8 years ago and it was awful. Now its solid enough of a DAW for Harrison to build Mixbus off of it. That's no small feat. I'm not a professional, but I see it as the cost of entertainment. Most people go to the movies or whatever, I spend my free time with Ardour. They deserve at least a couple dollars a month.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Sorry that was in reply to @ MrThraz (nice beats, btw). I didn't realize it was the 2nd page of the thread.
So like most everyone else is saying... if you're a professional with clients, you sure as hell don't want to be on Linux. Its like any other industry. You have to be able to integrate with collaborators, and have whatever features clients may potentially expect from the studio. But if you just make your own music, I think its great. The caveat being that I don't do much ITB except panning and leveling. Most of my processing gets sent to outboard gear. But if you're not particularly attached to whatever plugins you currently use, Harrison seems to have a decent selection that'll work with other DAWs if you don't want to purchase Mixbus itself.
And I second whoever said you shouldn't have to use a virtual machine or WINE for running software. You will definitely get terrible results and frustrate yourself.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut

linux is one of the best solutions fort audio and video if you can avoid linux zealots as it's rock solid
if you 're looking for linux take last versions of ubuntu studio as the new team is actually working very hard on it

it's very easy to install, no need compilations
even if you're a newbie

native AAA versions of softwares for linux

audio

harrison mixbus / mixbus 32C
reaper
bitwig studio
tracktion
renoise

with class compliant consoles+ soundcards + AVB

video

lightworks
da vinci resolve

plus a good video card

and

AA translator under wine for full compatibility with sampro protools cubase ...sessions

and it's fine

took a sub to PT ultimate, to samproX4 and studio one pro4 . but...
reaper is a killer app, specially on linux. one of the best ever. try to import a BIG file as a video file (a full movie) and you'll see. (1 second to import the full movie) with Resolve you 'll have an AAA+ package
i'm actually downloading ubuntu studio 18.10 as i'm done with activations, dongles and other terrible things (as BSOD) we have on computer industry.

best choice is an ancient mac (mac pro) + Logic pro9 or 10 for MIDI and instruments
and all the other softwares on Linux.

a good soundcard + linux + reaper = unbreakable.
you can record your live session, go away take a coffee, it runs flawlessly.
Old 1st April 2019
Your post was interesting until this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post
best choice is an ancient mac (mac pro) + Logic pro9 or 10 for MIDI and instruments
and all the other softwares on Linux.
Using multiple hosts is a drag, especially when using a different OS.
And using an 8+ year old system isn't exactly my idea of a solid solution either.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Addict

Since Apple laptops are expensive and un-upgradable, and because I've been burned too many times by Windows, my approach is to use Linux for laptops. I'm currently using a hand-me-down Lenovo laptop for Linux and have Reaper and Ardour on it. I also use Mixbus occasionally, which is built on Ardour so only the mixing interface is different. Reaper on Linux works great, I know it's "experimental and unsupported" but so far everything works, so it's a great portable solution: with Reaper you can export your configuration file from one platform, save it in Dropbox, and import it on another platform, takes about 10 seconds and then everything's set how you want it.

Ardour was my first DAW and it still does most of what I need (I record mainly acoustic music, minimalist, rarely more than 2-3 plugins), but Reaper has spectral editing and other features that are very useful so I've shifted largely to using it instead. Now that it's available for Linux, I can record, edit, and mix music on my Linux machine and it all works. I've been using Linux for about 3 years and have only had to use the command line maybe three times in all that time; day to day it's not much different from Mac or Windows. I would say the main obstacles for professional studio use are plugins and interface compatibility. Many plugins can be run via Wine so it's not a dealbreaker but at that point you might as well just go with Windows or Mac for simplicity.

Mixbus has EQ and compression on every track; it's made to emulate an analogue console. It also has tape saturation and some other things that people typically use plugins for, so if you can work within its limitations (which audio engineers did for decades before digital audio existed) it can be a workable choice for some kinds of music.

I'm still on a Mac desktop for my primary audio and video work, but Linux is a great solution for laptop use and it's nice to be able to work on projects portably. If you're using cross-platform apps like Reaper, Ardour, Mixbus, etc., there's no difference except in the plugin department, and if you stick to stock plugins (or buy Harrison's cross-platform plugins) there's no difference at all.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by streber View Post
I've been running Linux/Ardour for years.

Great channel count, low latency, stable, inexpensive.

If anyone in the NYC area is ready to switch.... keep your MADI/Adat/Spdif ... converters ....

I will support you (20yrs linux experience, Ivy League MS in computer science).

Reach out.

It's ready for prime time.

I kind of agree with this guy, but I think you are happiest if you are doing mostly audio work. While there are several excellent DAWS -- Reaper, Bitwg, Ardour, Tracktion, to name ones that I have used -- I am lost when it comes to VST plugins, The vast majority are only for Windows / Mac.

I had a foray this year into linux for music, even building some DIY synths using embedded OS or linux running on SBCs, but in the end I gave up and installed Windows 10 on a 4U rack server with an RME pcie audio interface.

I am a linux only computer user at work and at home (except for using other OSs as needed for work) and I feel somewhat defeated but I was swimming upstream.

Now I just hook my midi controller up to the rack box and play, and I am timeshifting my technical troubles - I will deal with entropy on the Windows 10 environment later, when it happens, instead of wasting precious time now on technical details like compiling free VSTS to ARM or JACK problems instead of making music.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Your post was interesting until this:Using multiple hosts is a drag, especially when using a different OS.
And using an 8+ year old system isn't exactly my idea of a solid solution either.
macos for Logic (SL is one the best OS ever)
linux for mixbus / reaper etc
and you can have a 3d computer under Win7 for cakewalk bandlab/samplitude
old OS are most of times unbreakable
a computer for music is only for music never for internet etc.
IMO (for ex) PT10 HD under win7 pro is far superior than PT12 ultimate under Win10

you cannot work and being a beta tester at the same time

my choice:

1 mac pro + SL or mavericks for LP9
1 pc under linux ubuntu studio for reaper/mixbus
1 pc under win7 pro for samplitude or PT H10
3 soundcards (PCIe/firewire)
and it's ok for years
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post
macos for Logic (SL is one the best OS ever)
linux for mixbus / reaper etc
and you can have a 3d computer under Win7 for cakewalk bandlab/samplitude
old OS are most of times unbreakable
a computer for music is only for music never for internet etc.
IMO (for ex) PT10 HD under win7 pro is far superior than PT12 ultimate under Win10

you cannot work and being a beta tester at the same time

my choice:

1 mac pro + SL or mavericks for LP9
1 pc under linux ubuntu studio for reaper/mixbus
1 pc under win7 pro for samplitude or PT H10
3 soundcards (PCIe/firewire)
and it's ok for years
What no Atari running Notator? No PPC Mac running OS 9 and the almighty OMS? Wheres the C64 with a Passport MIDI sequencer?

Ridiculous.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I will deal with entropy on the Windows 10 environment later, when it happens, instead of wasting precious time now on technical details like compiling free VSTS to ARM or JACK problems instead of making music.
I hear stories like this... I guess I get it, but I see it from the other side; That's the VST's fault.

I watch users waste time dealing with windows updates, osx incompatibilities ... and recurring costs with software licenses... I'd rather just make music ;-)

There are plenty of alternatives.... but if you insist your platform be built around some VST plugins, well, I guess that's what you need... (you get tons of plugins 'out of the box' on distros like Ubuntu Studio)

Hardware is always less ephemeral than software...
Open Source / Free software is always less ephemeral than proprietary closed-source...

You just learned the wrong stuff. My condolences. ;-)
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by streber View Post
I hear stories like this... I guess I get it, but I see it from the other side; That's the VST's fault.

I watch users waste time dealing with windows updates, osx incompatibilities ... and recurring costs with software licenses... I'd rather just make music ;-)

There are plenty of alternatives.... but if you insist your platform be built around some VST plugins, well, I guess that's what you need... (you get tons of plugins 'out of the box' on distros like Ubuntu Studio)

Hardware is always less ephemeral than software...
Open Source / Free software is always less ephemeral than proprietary closed-source...

You just learned the wrong stuff. My condolences. ;-)

What stuff did I learn? VST soft synths make sense for me, I dont want a lot of hardware synths lying around. One or two is ok but my PC is the core of my setup and where I go every day to play.

I know windows sucks, but I spend zero time worrying over it right now. I may run into problems in the future, but I am not going to waste time worrying about that now, I just want to play music and record it in Reaper.

As I said in the rest of my life I am all linux, I only put Windows on one machine for music. For example I really like the Roland cloud synths and the Arturia V collection synths, this all works effortlessly (for now) on WIndows.

edit - I completely agree with you in general that all music production should happen on linux, but the vendors wont support it.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
What stuff did I learn?
Plenty of soft synths work out of the box on Ubuntu Studio also...

My comment meant - if you are spending alot of time getting a particular tool working on linux, when there are 'out of the box' options, simply because you already know it... it's unfortunate that you invested time into that particular tool; in that it's a non-portable, non-transferable skill.

Quote:
edit - I completely agree with you in general that all music production should happen on linux, but the vendors wont support it.
I'm not sure I said 'should' ... I'm not twisting anyone's arm. (I'm not a vendor ;-)

I just argue that it's not difficult (lots of parties have reason to make you believe it is), has more tools than many are aware, and is stable, functional, and production ready... and in the long run, you will be subject to fewer of the vendor frustrations that I see people experience.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
So I assume your talking Hackintosh. Do you find those reasonable for any length of time? At one time they required so much hand-holding to keep functioning it wasn't worth the time sink they could become. Got some up to date tips?
My experience here is somewhat limited. I had some hardware laying around and put a hack together for the fun of it. My understanding is that like anything computer, once its working, as long as you don't update it, it will continue working. For many daw users, this represents an ideal situation. Set and forget. For the few months I had it going, no issues at all.

Once you apply apple patches, may or may not enter the merry land of getting the hack working again. Even moreso for osx upgrades. Personally never felt the macos upgrade provided me benefits, and a recent upgrade on my wife's macbook created mandatory two factor authentication for going into admin mode. Irritating beyond my ability to find words. No way to turn that off--that's the problem I have with apple--zero customer orientation anymore.

I had no real use for the hack, and since itunes was horribly unintuitive, I put windows on the machine instead. Windows may or may not be unintuitive compared to macos, but my own windows 10 is pretty much set and forget--it simply works and continues to do so.

So, from my perspective, apple has a big problem--I had no use for osx even on free hardware.

I would enjoy a linux daw as I like linux admin, but until cubase and motu support it on my pc, its not an option in my mind.
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
a recent upgrade on my wife's macbook created mandatory two factor authentication for going into admin mode. Irritating beyond my ability to find words. No way to turn that off--that's the problem I have with apple--zero customer orientation anymore.
Hmm.. Sounds like someone wasn't paying attention during the initial setup and let their iCloud account set itself to two-factor authentication. It can be disabled, but you need to read what its actually telling you on screen when you are setting up the OS initially.

There is no 'admin mode', and there's no two factor authentication for anything related to the Mac itself. There's an admin/root account yes, but you will never do more than enter the admin password (which is your own account) in order to do something as an admin. This was user error during the setup of the MacOS, and its only related to your iCloud/Apple ID, not the computer account.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

AppHAL: "Problems like these can always be attributed to human error."
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
I feel like this conversation pops up every year. I've been hoping to get major dev support for hardware and software on Linux for basically 10 years and not much has changed.
If I could get Pro Tools, Ableton and major VST vendors working seamlessly on Linux, I would switch.
But for now, windows.
Old 16th April 2019
I just recorded a full 2 hour jam on linux mint running reaper, with a echo audiofire12.

First shot out i noticed my levels were different going into jack audio instead of asio4all. None of the outboard levels changed. It records louder into linux. Too loud, it clipped a lot. It was wrapped in wine the whole time off my windoze drive, so maybe an actual linux install would yeild different results.

Im still pretty happy with the results. Cadence works way better then the qjackctl interface.

I dunno. I think at least for me i might be able to fully migrate and dump windows in the garbage where it belongs! Just a few more tweeks.....i hope.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I just recorded a full 2 hour jam on linux mint running reaper, with a echo audiofire12.

First shot out i noticed my levels were different going into jack audio instead of asio4all. None of the outboard levels changed. It records louder into linux. Too loud, it clipped a lot. It was wrapped in wine the whole time off my windoze drive, so maybe an actual linux install would yeild different results.

Im still pretty happy with the results. Cadence works way better then the qjackctl interface.

I dunno. I think at least for me i might be able to fully migrate and dump windows in the garbage where it belongs! Just a few more tweeks.....i hope.
I've not had any difference in levels between Windows and Linux, but always used Focusrite's driver on Windows.

Still working on getting my MOTU 8pre-ES to play well with Linux - it's supposed to be class compliant, but it's not. Once that happens I'll be 100% back on Linux.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search