The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 27" Monitor for DAW use (QHD vs 4K)?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best 27" Monitor for DAW use (QHD vs 4K)?

I am looking to get a 27" monitor to use with the new Mac Mini I plan to get, as currently I have a 22" 1080 monitor.

Ideally it would be USB-C, but that's not essential.

I mainly use Ableton Live, but will also get Logic.

From what I've read on other forums, most people do not recommend a 4K monitor for a 27" screen, as the text appears too small in native resolution.

The sweet spot appears to be a monitor with a native resolution of 2560 x 1440 (ie QHD).

Do people agree?

Also, given that there are far more and better value 4K monitors out in the market than QHD, would it make sense getting a 4K monitor, and then just getting the Mac to downscale to QHD? Or do you lose picture quality when this happens?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
QHD has worked best for me -- my monitor is more than an arm's length away, so a 4k monitor without rescaling (which Windows 7 doesn't really do very well IMO) means everything is too small at that distance. I have a Dell 27" and I'm about to upgrade to a 32" Samsung (also QHD). Your mileage may vary of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search