The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Devices MixPre-10M as a conventional audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Audio Devices MixPre-10M as a conventional audio interface

Hi,
I've been searching for information on the Sound Devices MixPre-10M working as a conventional audio interface, connected to Logic Pro X or Pro Tools, but, not surprisingly, the threads here have more comments on this hardware working as a portable studio, as it was built to work mainly as this.

My questions are: will it work recording the 8 input at the same time straight to Logic and Pro tools?; can I use the MixPre-10M as a monitor system while mixing a song in Logic or Pro Tools?; is it possible to record a new vocal track, for example, sending the audio from the DAW to a headphone for the singer (overdubbing into the DAW)?; do the line inputs work as DI for recording bass or guitar straight to the DAW?; Is the latency acceptable?

Well, as you can see, this question could be summed up as a single question, will MixPre-10M work fine as a conventional audio interface?

I wish I could try it before I buy it, but here in Brazil there is no place even selling it, so I'll need to import it. And I am between this and Metric Halo ULN-8, so, depending on the answers, I can save a lot of money!

My english is in progress, so, if there's something that is not clear in my text, please, let me know!
Thank you in advance!
Sincerely,
Thiago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagoscp View Post
Hi,
I've been searching for information on the Sound Devices MixPre-10M working as a conventional audio interface, connected to Logic Pro X or Pro Tools, but, not surprisingly, the threads here have more comments on this hardware working as a portable studio, as it was built to work mainly as this.

My questions are: will it work recording the 8 input at the same time straight to Logic and Pro tools?;
Yes - you can record all 8 inputs on the MixPre-10M at the same time you use it as an audio interface into Logic or Protools. You can also overdub directly in the MixPre-10M if you want to.

Quote:
can I use the MixPre-10M as a monitor system while mixing a song in Logic or Pro Tools?;
Yes. It has 4x USB returns from the computer and these can be routed to a pair of balanced outputs, a stereo unbalanced output and a headphone output.

Quote:
is it possible to record a new vocal track, for example, sending the audio from the DAW to a headphone for the singer (overdubbing into the DAW)?;
Yes.

Quote:
do the line inputs work as DI for recording bass or guitar straight to the DAW?;
You can record active pickup bass or guitar no problem. Guitars with passive pickups have high output impedance so you will need an external DI.

Quote:
Is the latency acceptable?
Yes, although depends on your computer and how many processes, plugins you are running. MixPre uses USB 2.0 interface so it won't be as fast as USB3.0 or Thunderbolt. It also has ability to do direct input monitoring.

Paul
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
Yes - you can record all 8 inputs on the MixPre-10M at the same time you use it as an audio interface into Logic or Protools. You can also overdub directly in the MixPre-10M if you want to.

Yes. It has 4x USB returns from the computer and these can be routed to a pair of balanced outputs, a stereo unbalanced output and a headphone output.

Yes.

You can record active pickup bass or guitar no problem. Guitars with passive pickups have high output impedance so you will need an external DI.

Yes, although depends on your computer and how many processes, plugins you are running. MixPre uses USB 2.0 interface so it won't be as fast as USB3.0 or Thunderbolt. It also has ability to do direct input monitoring.

Paul
Paul, thank you so much for your response!
Cheers!
Thiago
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru
I have a Mixpre 6M and the preamps and converters are amazing. They are also coming out with controllers which will be a major benefit. I've heard the conversion compares with Audient. I'm astounded at the price point on these considering what you get.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search