The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Lexicon 480L vs Relab 480L
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMIX View Post
As someone who owns NEITHER but is faced with a black friday sale at Relab...i am faced with a dilemma.

I have used UAD stuff since it came out in 2002ish. They have always done a killer job of emulations. My new room is still being finished so my DAW is down at the moment.

Just wondering if i should stay with UA on the 480 or try out Relab.

What to do.........what to do.....
Spend your money on Nebula and some reverbs for it. The nebula reverbs are just far and away the best. Soon as I put in a HD hall, holy smokes, the depth and feel was like no algo verb I've ever heard. Needless to say, all my algo reverbs will now gather virtual dust.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
Spend your money on Nebula and some reverbs for it. The nebula reverbs are just far and away the best. Soon as I put in a HD hall, holy smokes, the depth and feel was like no algo verb I've ever heard. Needless to say, all my algo reverbs will now gather virtual dust.
I can’t speak to UAD but you might try Transatlantic Plate. It sounds amazing.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I can’t speak to UAD but you might try Transatlantic Plate. It sounds amazing.
Hear hear!
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
Yes I did it.

1. Lexicon Hardware
2. UAD
3. Relab

UAD is VERY close as expected and sounds bigger than LX480. Hardware seems to have slightly better reverb tails than UAD. I have the feeling, that the source is a little bit more 'inside' the room. But congratulations to UAD for this fantastic product.
I think it is easier with the hardware to find the right settings. It is nearly impossible to make it sound bad.
I'm just curious when you did this comparison did you set Relab settings outputs to Analog emulation (with noise) or was it on the default Digital output setting. I found that makes a big differences and the analog setting with noise has more of the mojo I remember from my 480l.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear
These are my personal observations/opinions...

Let me start off by saying that I like UAD plugins. Many that I use are among the best plugins I have used to date.

With the current UAD sale and a coupon, I decided to look into their 480L. I have held off till now because of the initial price (too expensive). Plus I already own the Relab 480L which I really like.

Before pressing the "Checkout" button, I decided to demo it for a few days. I A/B'd it against the Relab version and was more impressed with the Relab. The UAD was darker on some presets which I liked, but I was able to replicate those presets on the Relab. I also liked the tails, depth, and width on the Relab more than the UAD. The Relab is silkier and more believable. Even with the cheaper price, I decided to pass on it.

To my ears, the UAD sits on top of the source rather than blend with it. Something about it bothered my ears. I tweaked, and tweaked, but could not get my ears to like it. What I did like better about the UAD version was their presets. They are closer to what I would actually use. But I couldn't get past the other issues I was having with it. The tails had this tinny-sounding and other 'unagreeable to my ear' artifacts. They reminded me of an old Lexicon MPX 100 I used to own as part of my guitar rig.

Other than the presets, one other area where I felt the UAD version beat out the Relab was the interface. It's beautiful! But let's face it, a GUI doesn't make any sounds

Again, these are just my personal observations/opinions.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
Here's what I would recommend:
I haven't made it all the way through the thread yet, but to the OP: I don't know yet if you've made your choice (I assume you have though!), but if you're still considering or for future reference, these are excellent recommendations, every single one of them. I join viciousbliss in saying the Neve DFC is a standout and a real sleeper!

I'd add to this list that Capitol Chambers also are awesome. There are so many more great UAD plug-ins, but this list is at least a valid contender for having named "best of."
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head
Hi friends!

I compared some UAD 480L and RELAB LX480 presets on this vocal.
(I found this vocal here on Gearslutz some time ago, I don't remember where
)

The presets are the same (Fat Plate, Large Hall, Medium Ambience and Medium Hall + Stage), I just turned up the volume of Relab which has a lower signal than UAD.

Hope this helps some friends to choose between the two!
The choice can be difficult.

I ended up buying UAD 480L too, now I have both here in my studio!

Attached Thumbnails
UAD Lexicon 480L vs Relab 480L-uad-480l-vs-relab-lx480.jpg  
Attached Files

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test Dry.wav (8.40 MB, 3685 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test RELAB LX480 Fat Plate -8 send.wav (8.40 MB, 3802 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test RELAB LX480 FatPlate.wav (8.40 MB, 3702 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test RELAB LX480 Large Hall.wav (8.40 MB, 3571 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test RELAB LX480 Medium Ambience.wav (8.40 MB, 3456 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test RELAB LX480 Medium Hall + Stage.wav (8.40 MB, 3558 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test UAD 480L Fat Plate -8 send.wav (8.40 MB, 3652 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test UAD 480L FatPlate.wav (7.73 MB, 3568 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test UAD 480L Medium Ambience.wav (8.40 MB, 3421 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test UAD 480L Large Hall.wav (8.40 MB, 3476 views)

Lexicon Verb Vocal Test UAD 480L Medium Hall + Stage.wav (8.40 MB, 3440 views)

Last edited by felipeabel; 15th October 2019 at 07:06 PM..
Old 16th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeabel View Post
Hi friends!

)

The presets are the same (Fat Plate, Large Hall, Medium Ambience and Medium Hall + Stage), I just turned up the volume of Relab which has a lower signal than UAD.

They sounds similar enough to me that I wouldn't much worry about choosing the right one.
Old 16th October 2019
I preferred the UAD over Relab on all except the Medium Hall + Stage... for some reason I preferred the Relab on that one.

In general, the UAD felt more familiar to my ear; like I was hearing a record from the 80s. Just a feel thing.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear
Great comparison. Feel like the Uad is missing some of the magic of the relab and real 480l (from memory when I owned one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeabel View Post
Hi friends!

)

Old 16th October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
I preferred the UAD over Relab on all except the Medium Hall + Stage... for some reason I preferred the Relab on that one.

In general, the UAD felt more familiar to my ear; like I was hearing a record from the 80s. Just a feel thing.
Really interesting!
Maybe why the Relab have a little more tail with the same settings.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Great comparison. Feel like the Uad is missing some of the magic of the relab and real 480l (from memory when I owned one).
To be honest, I think the two very very close, amazing how different companies did something so close to the real hardware. I still feel something special in UAD, I don't know why but there is something that I love.

Maybe because it looks so similar to the real, maybe because it already sounds a little louder than the relab!

So, UAD has something special for me, especially in Plates!
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear
On 2nd listen the difference that stands out the most to me is the uad verbs sound distinct from the vocal. Almost like the UAD has eq or Predelay added to separate it from the source. Whereas the relab sounds less filtered and more attached to the source but you can get it to sound more separate like the uad with a little eq and/or predelay.
Old 17th October 2019
Quote:
On 2nd listen the difference that stands out the most to me is the uad verbs sound distinct from the vocal. Almost like the UAD has eq or Predelay added to separate it from the source. Whereas the relab sounds less filtered and more attached to the source but you can get it to sound more separate like the uad with a little eq and/or predelay.
The parameters were probably matched based upon their settings and not sonically but a few added tweaks using your ears could probably bring them closer together.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
The parameters were probably matched based upon their settings and not sonically but a few added tweaks using your ears could probably bring them closer together.
Yes, I thought the same.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

As others have suggested, definitely play around with the settings. One of THE fundamental characteristics of Lexicon reverbs down through the years has always been that the reverb blends / envelops the source in a completely 'natural' way (at least so far as an algorithmic reverb is meant to or can sound natural in the first place). So, if you're detecting that "the UAD verbs sound distinct from the vocals," then that's probably something about that particular preset. Which UAD preset(s) are you referring to, btw? I'd like to give a listen.

And, btw, I don't have the Relab, but given the superlatives accorded it by those who do, then I'd assume the same thing about any instance where the verb sound is distinct from the source in it as well. These two superb emulations -spoiling us for choice- surely wouldn't have gotten past developers or beta-team if this fundamental characteristic were absent. My two cents.
Old 3rd September 2020
The way someone hears the reverb is very individual. All the nuances we talk about on these forum are sometimes a matter of individual taste.

Nevertheless for me both UA Lexicon480 and Relab L480 are very good reverbs. I used to like UA more but recently I acquired Relab reverb bundle mainly for Sonsing and I realized that I like L480. The third "480-like" reverb that I like very much and I do recommend is Overloud Breverb. For me Breverb is the one that is audible in the mix the way I like it. But as I said it is very individual.

I had a strange experience with Relab L480. About a year 2012 (I guess) when it was introduced I demo-ed it and I didn't like it. And now I do. I guess it is completely redesigned plugin these days. Or am I jus aging producer who hears things ...

Best, Tom
Old 3rd September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post
I had a strange experience with Relab L480. About a year 2012 (I guess) when it was introduced I demo-ed it and I didn't like it. And now I do. I guess it is completely redesigned plugin these days. Or am I jus aging producer who hears things ...

Best, Tom
It is more likely that your taste has changed those last eight years than their secret redesigning of the plugin. Maybe using the UAD 480L influenced your taste.
Old 4th September 2020
I've been using L480 since its beginning and haven't noticed any marked changes, and would be surprised if they had any reason to do so. It pretty closely hit its mark from the beginning.
Old 4th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
It is more likely that your taste has changed those last eight years than their secret redesigning of the plugin. Maybe using the UAD 480L influenced your taste.
To be perfectly honest you may be right.... I mean that the way we hear changes. And it's not only due to limitations of our hearing organ but due to some deeper analysis that our brains perform as we mature...

Tom

Last edited by vasylek; 4th September 2020 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

While everyone is debating between these two, I want to ask how does Slate Verbsuite Classic's 480L sounds against these nd hardware ?
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Slate Verbsuite Classic's 480L sounds against these nd hardware ?
For lighter use, it's good..but not for denser use. Which is still a good reverb which tends to sound brigther, just not as authentic. It's greatest value is for mimicking other reverbs including the 224/XL via expansion. A nice alternative with detailed list of factory presets.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalmsc View Post
For lighter use, it's good..but not for denser use. Which is still a good reverb which tends to sound brigther, just not as authentic. It's greatest value is for mimicking other reverbs including the 224/XL via expansion. A nice alternative with detailed list of factory presets.
How do you define "lighter use vs denser use " ?
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

I like to use it lightly on a track, when emulating other reverbs. For a bigger sounding, denser reverberation I prefer the LX480.
📝 Reply