The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mac Mini 2018 vs iMac 2017
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Good news! Now that’s it’s worked for 2 of us, I’d say that’s confirmation of the issue and solution.

I was really hoping it would work for you too. Otherwise you’d have been even more pissed buying another mouse for nothing
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud van slipper View Post
Lowkey - your a saint !!

After seeing your post I went straight to the Mac store and bought a new mouse.

Today was the first day in months I managed to do some decent work ..

Can’t tell you how grateful I am .
And I also can’t tell you how pissed I am with Apple for not making this fact better known . It’s just another example of a mega corporation taking its client base for a bunch of lemmings .

Any how. I’ve ranted about them way too much of late and I’m now just incredibly happy to get back with my usual workflow . Fingers crossed tomorrow is as solid as today .

Thank you again for the heads up !
So are you enjoying the mini now or is it still having issues?
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
So are you enjoying the mini now or is it still having issues?
Yesterday was the first time I’ve used the computer to make music without any glitches - and I bought the computer at the start of the year.

So you can imagine - I was beside myself at this stage. Just getting a run of 6hrs problem free to make music felt like a major breakthrough.

That was until I tried to use the internet ..... which now sadly seems to have decided it’s not going to play ball - despite adding a BT Dongle and the modem being positioned less than 5 meters away.

Overall I would say this computer is still a massive ball ache . And MAC clearly couldn’t give a rats ass .

But I’ve spent so long trawling forums to find various fixes , that just to be able to write some music still feels like a triumph . go figure ??

They have pretty much broken me into a state of submission.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

^there must be a Bluetooth issue in it somewhere. Seems all your issues are Bluetooth related right?
I’ve had no issues using internet over WIFI.
In fact in the last few months I’ve only had one crash using Cubase 9.5, and that was because of a Waves plugin I installed as a demo.
This is the most stable Cubase OSX combo I’ve had since Snow Leopard.
I hope you get your BT issues sorted!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

I like others debated this for months
Mini vs iMac vs ... trashcan?!
Ended up w a 12 core trashcan used 1680$

Well see over time and now it’s old tech but this is a very well built machine ... this machine is still for sale at apple same specs for 5500

the mini has been said to hit crazy temps under stress.., apple loves the form over function sometime to a fault

And if the new 6k cheese radiator is any indication they are back pedaling a bit finally
Trashcan is silently discharging a fair amount of hot air ... like an apple fan (pun intended)

Last edited by rectifried; 4 weeks ago at 12:16 AM..
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

^i hope they start flooding the market as people upgrade to new Mac Pros. If they get cheap enough might be my next upgrade from a MM if I need one.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Has anyone here upgraded the ram in their 2018 Mac Mini? I’ve got the 6 core i7 with 8GB ram. Wondering whether an upgrade to 32 GB is going to bring a real difference running Cubase 9.5. Currently I’m not having any performance issues. But wondering whether it’s worth doing in the future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Has anyone here upgraded the ram in their 2018 Mac Mini? I’ve got the 6 core i7 with 8GB ram. Wondering whether an upgrade to 32 GB is going to bring a real difference running Cubase 9.5. Currently I’m not having any performance issues. But wondering whether it’s worth doing in the future.

I did mine as soon as I got it. Main reason is, I’d rather have it and not need it. But also a lot of early adopters were having graphics issues, because the lack of a graphics card in the Mini means that, graphics processing borrows from the RAM. So it was a belt and braces, approach for me.

And I’m not talking about heavy stuff like video editing etc. Just busy websites sometimes can cause the fans to spin up, if I have a busy track open in Logic in the background for instance. Not sure if that’s just me though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
One thing I would add to my experience- my new Magic Mouse 2 seems to works fine if I have a Bluetooth dongle inserted.

But if take out the Bluetooth dongle the mouse is totally erratic again ??
Go figure.

I do think Mac created a new machine with some major flaws . Seems to be faurly well documented so I won’t go on a rant.

Pretty tardy though - has to be said,

Guess music makers are no longer the lucrative target
for Mac that they once were .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search