The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple announce new Mac Minis with 4 / 6 cores. Audio Interfaces
Old 30th October 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
CasimirsBlake's Avatar
 

Apple announce new Mac Minis with 4 / 6 cores.

So at last Apple announce new Minis with specs that might be useful to music producers. Arstechnica cover it here:
Apple finally announces an overhauled Mac mini | Ars Technica



However, the base spec price has risen. Quoting Ars: "The entry level price has gone up. The 3.6GHz i3 with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD base spec costs $799, compared to the $499 of the previous model."

8GB is understandable I suppose but 128GB of storage at that price point seems particularly curmudgeonly. Lots of Thunderbolt ports for expandability though, and it's nice to finally see a new small form factor Mac option that actually has some decent CPU power... so yes, discuss!

Last edited by CasimirsBlake; 30th October 2018 at 05:16 PM..
Old 30th October 2018
  #2
The maxed out version with i7 six cores and 64 gig memory is so gonna be my next pooter for my set up. Insane amount they’ve packed into that footprint.
Old 30th October 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Don't buy the extra Memory from Apple. They always charge too much. MacSales has better prices for the same quality.
Old 30th October 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 

I currently have a way outdated macbook pro (2012) and a Digi 003 board for converters running logic.

Finally want to update to an apollo x8 and a mac pro and was hoping for some kind of update.


Question, I see they showed these mini's working in tandem... could the mini
be a great solution for a mid/small studio? I do want to run 3 monitors.

Sorry just starting to get back into this world after a long time away from it.
Old 30th October 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Is the ram user upgradeable? How many ram slots does it have? Is the loaded Mac mini processor more powerful than the I9 MacBook Pro processor, or the 12 core 2013 trashcan Mac? Will this have less cooling problems and fan noise than the MacBook Pro?
Old 30th October 2018
  #6
Gear Maniac
Apparently it is not user upgradeable. Memory is soldered in.
Old 30th October 2018
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockdude View Post
I currently have a way outdated macbook pro (2012) and a Digi 003 board for converters running logic.

Finally want to update to an apollo x8 and a mac pro and was hoping for some kind of update.


Question, I see they showed these mini's working in tandem... could the mini
be a great solution for a mid/small studio? I do want to run 3 monitors.

Sorry just starting to get back into this world after a long time away from it.
From what I see on the Apple site, the Mac Mini just has the standard desktop ports. For DAW work it would be the usual master/slave setup using VE Pro 6 via the ethernet port or a similar setup.

I checked Geekbench and the 3.2GHZ i7 CPU scores 23010 on multi-core tasks. A decent score but not close to what a iMac Pro is capable of.
Old 30th October 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Phil Cibley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Don't buy the extra Memory from Apple. They always charge too much. MacSales has better prices for the same quality.
But will you be able to expand it, or will the memory come pre-soldered to
the MB like in the last versions?
Old 30th October 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
But will you be able to expand it, or will the memory come pre-soldered to
the MB like in the last versions?
expandable as mentioned above
Old 30th October 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
It’s SO-Dimms the product manager showed it in the video presentation, he said ‘our pros will like this’. Good that they have listened to people asking for that. Not soldered.
Good to hear that.
Old 30th October 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

It looks like there's only 2 slots so 32GB = 16 x 2, and remove the 8GB.
Old 30th October 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

why does everything have to be as small as possible? it's going to be in a studio where they have pianos...drum kits.....BIG things....MONIOTORS.....we don't need computers the size of a pack of cigarettes.


It remonds me of the old mobile phone days when they were getting smaller and smaller..............fast forwars 10 yeasr and they're realised it's not what people wanted and they're now getting bigger and bigger :D


I hope Apple realise this.



M
Old 30th October 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Did you see in the presentation where some companies are stacking them in huge numbers? The current size and design makes that possible. For them, bigger is not better.

You have to think about potential users beyond the studio.

It wasn't designed just for musicians.

It has a much broader scope of uses.
Old 30th October 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelomatic View Post
The maxed out version with i7 six cores and 64 gig memory is so gonna be my next pooter for my set up. Insane amount they’ve packed into that footprint.
uhh . . $4,200 plus monitor. When I saw that I went right over the the imac pro section.
Old 30th October 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Never buy Apple memory upgrades or SSD. MacSales has all that with lifetime warranties.

You can get in for $1,500 and then upgrade according to your needs.

External SSDs are just as fast and not as expensive.
Old 30th October 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Did you see in the presentation where some companies are stacking them in huge numbers? The current size and design makes that possible. For them, bigger is not better.

You have to think about potential users beyond the studio.

It wasn't designed just for musicians.

It has a much broader scope of uses.
I suppose so but at $4200.00 a pop it's not good business sense.


with AMD threadripper CPU's running 32 cores/64 threads available at a decent price why would anyone buy a bunch of these?


don't want to derail this thread so apologies to the OP if we're drifting off topic.



M
Old 30th October 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

RAM not soldered in -- what will Apple think of next?
Old 30th October 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
The $1,100 'higher' version is not very impressive in and of itself. So, one strategy may be to get the cheap one and put in 1tb ssd and 32/64 gig ram. At that point if its not too noisy, got a reasonable mid power daw host. Looks like they almost expect people to do the ram upgrade--I wonder how hard it is to upgrade the ssd. In my 2010 mini, it was doable, but not designed to be done--it had a paper wrapper and glued on temp sensor, and had to take a lot of parts out to get to the hdd.

So, we will see what folks are able to do with the new one. Personally, I see no reason to have a device like that with only 128/256 gig of ram at today's ssd prices and quality.

Of course, they don't intend it to be targeted at daw users. For those who like a desktop computer and simply need to do office type things and browse the web, its a great thing. One thing I will say about apple, they do good things with form factor. Still, when I went wintel, I promised myself it was the last time I would flip flop between mac and windows, and I nothing here will change that.
Old 30th October 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
well the top of the line 6-core i7 seems to be quite a capable machine.
The desktop version of that chip (i7-8700) geekbenches about 50% better than the 3.33 6-core cheesegraters many of us are running on.... The mobile versions (i7-8700B) that's probably in the Mac Mini appears to be clocked the same, so I wonder how close to that geekbench it will get. I couldn't find one yet.
It geekbenches around the same as an 8-core thrash pro. Something to bear in mind.
In any case, for 1300 bucks that's not bad!

Last edited by ~ufo~; 30th October 2018 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: added chip info
Old 30th October 2018
  #20
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
The $1,100 'higher' version is not very impressive in and of itself. So, one strategy may be to get the cheap one and put in 1tb ssd and 32/64 gig ram. At that point if its not too noisy, got a reasonable mid power daw host. Looks like they almost expect people to do the ram upgrade--I wonder how hard it is to upgrade the ssd. In my 2010 mini, it was doable, but not designed to be done--it had a paper wrapper and glued on temp sensor, and had to take a lot of parts out to get to the hdd.

So, we will see what folks are able to do with the new one. Personally, I see no reason to have a device like that with only 128/256 gig of ram at today's ssd prices and quality.

Of course, they don't intend it to be targeted at daw users. For those who like a desktop computer and simply need to do office type things and browse the web, its a great thing. One thing I will say about apple, they do good things with form factor. Still, when I went wintel, I promised myself it was the last time I would flip flop between mac and windows, and I nothing here will change that.
Based on what I've read it appears only the RAM is user upgradeable.

D
Old 30th October 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
Couldn't they have at least put an i5 in the base model instead of an i3? Or have 3 models? I don't really get who they are targeting with the base model.
Old 30th October 2018
  #22
wondering if it would be better to spend £1249 on one of these i7 3.2 (add 16Gb RAM) or the same money on a Hackintosh...
Old 30th October 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I suppose so but at $4200.00 a pop it's not good business sense.

with AMD threadripper CPU's running 32 cores/64 threads available at a decent price why would anyone buy a bunch of these?M
They wouldn't buy them for that price because they're not stupid enough to pay the top price like that. They'll get in for much less.

Neither should any musician be that stupid.

You can get in for $1,500 and upgrade ram and SSDs (external TB3) much cheaper if needed.

Most musicians can do it for less than $2,000 including AppleCare.

Question: It looks like there are only 2 memory slots. I couldn't find any other details so I'm wondering if both slots have to have the same size memory chips or can they be different, ie: 8 + 16 = 24, or, 8 + 32 = 40.

Last edited by Macaroni; 30th October 2018 at 09:45 PM..
Old 30th October 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
I went to the apple site and I was very surprised you couldn't select different ssd/ram configurations like you can with a dell. Surely they would love to charge the customer another $450 for a $170 dollar 1tb ssd. I just can't understand the small ssd. Its not like they put off more heat or consume more electricity.
Old 30th October 2018
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Never buy Apple memory upgrades or SSD. MacSales has all that with lifetime warranties.

You can get in for $1,500 and then upgrade according to your needs.

External SSDs are just as fast and not as expensive.
can you run the OS off an external SSD and will it be as reliable?
Old 30th October 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I went to the apple site and I was very surprised you couldn't select different ssd/ram configurations like you can with a dell.
Of course you can select those options. They are all available. You have to click the 'Select' button for a model and it will take you to a page with the options.
Old 30th October 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
can you run the OS off an external SSD and will it be as reliable?
I don't have the answer to that question.

You'd have to ask Apple Support.
Old 30th October 2018
  #28
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I went to the apple site and I was very surprised you couldn't select different ssd/ram configurations like you can with a dell. Surely they would love to charge the customer another $450 for a $170 dollar 1tb ssd. I just can't understand the small ssd. Its not like they put off more heat or consume more electricity.
Did you click the select button under the price for each model? That brings up the configuration options.
Old 30th October 2018
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
uhh . . $4,200 plus monitor. When I saw that I went right over the the imac pro section.
Maybe I’m math challenged but I see a boosted six-core i7 at 4.6 ghz and an upgraded 512 SSD at $1499. Let’s call it $1500. Add $600 for four SO DIMM DDR 4 memory cards to replace stock 8 gig of RAM. Add $350 for hdmi extra-wide 32” monitor (my desk space is a bit tight and this’ll allow me to float mixer and edit screens just fine and is still larger than my current 27” iMac) and I come up with a great setup (for my needs) under $2500. Don’t need all the gamer aimed extras of the latest iMac Pro. Even though it’s a beaut. I might’ve missed something but that’s what I tallied.
Wheels
Old 30th October 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Of course you can select those options. They are all available. You have to click the 'Select' button for a model and it will take you to a page with the options.
Well, that was not very smart of me not to try that. I speced out a mini with the better cpu, 32 gig ram, and 1tb drive. $2,500. Up to the individual if this is a good route to take. For me a big ugly old desktop mini tower with a better cpu and 1.5 tb of ram is maybe $1,100. As I said, the base model minimal config is good for most folks who are not trying to edit video, make music, or mine bitcoin...

Actually, for the average user, the imac may be a better option. I had my dad get one a few years back, and couldn't be more pleased with it.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump