The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apple announce new Mac Minis with 4 / 6 cores.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

I’m currently using a maxed out 2015 15” MBP, but I’m really tempted to grab the mini. I don’t have any serious audio glitches or overheating, but even after cleaning the dust out and applying new thermal paste to the processors I still have some noticeable fan noise with basic sessions. Getting kind of sick of that.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmisser View Post
I still have some noticeable fan noise with basic sessions. Getting kind of sick of that.
Then you have the wrong machine. Fans spinning are a positive thing. Solvable with moving the machine out of disturbance zone into some distance and using an external display, track pad and keyboard.

You'd have to expect the same with a Mini.
Old 13th June 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m currently using a maxed out 2015 15” MBP, but I’m really tempted to grab the mini. I don’t have any serious audio glitches or overheating, but even after cleaning the dust out and applying new thermal paste to the processors I still have some noticeable fan noise with basic sessions. Getting kind of sick of that.
Yeah, I have the same annoying fan noise using my 2015 MacBookPro when running certain graphics & audio apps under light to medium load. The 2018 Mini is silent under the same circumstances.

D
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

Just got my mini (i5 / 8gb / 256gb)

Planning to use external storage and upgrade ram.

Sadly having some audio issues with my RME Fireface UC via USB (intermittent popping with any audio incl. youtube etc.)

Have tried with the inbuilt headphone jack, works fine. I am going to try getting a USB-B to USB-C cable https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/...5912600_sd.jpg to see if using thunderbolt will fix it, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to look at getting a different interface? Have been looking for solutions but I have only found info about the automatic time/date settings (didn't help!). Will post on RME forums soon and report back.

Aside from those issues, very happy with performance for budget price.

1200/write and 2700/read speeds in black magic (slightly lower write but higher read than I was expecting, which is good!).

5360 single core / 21000 multi geek bench score
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Then you have the wrong machine. Fans spinning are a positive thing. Solvable with moving the machine out of disturbance zone into some distance and using an external display, track pad and keyboard.

You'd have to expect the same with a Mini.
I doubt it. I have the exact setup you suggested - wireless keyboard and trackpad, and using an external display. Plus, I put it on a ventilated riser away from my computer with nothing crowding it. My 1TB internal flash has 700GB free and I run projects / samples off 2 external Samsung T5 drives. While I don’t have TRIM support for those externals, I routinely check read / write with black magic and I’m still well over 400 for both volumes.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Yeah, I have the same annoying fan noise using my 2015 MacBookPro when running certain graphics & audio apps under light to medium load. The 2018 Mini is silent under the same circumstances.

D
Good to know and sorry you’re having the same issue. I might keep this MBP around for some video editing, but I was watching some audio stress tests with the new mini last night and even with the i5 it was pretty insane. I’m thinking I’ll go with the 6 core i7 and then upgrade the ram myself to save some money.

I tuned out of this thread when the audio / T2 chip issues were a problem, but now that that seems to have been resolved I’m back onboard with getting this thing.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I doubt it.
What do you doubt? With your setup, then what does it matter if fans spin up?

It's possible a Mac Mini is better at keeping it quiet, but I wouldn't rely on any Apple computer not using its fans. Fan noise is better than throttling as I see it. Take your pick.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
What do you doubt? With your setup, then what does it matter if fans spin up?

It's possible a Mac Mini is better at keeping it quiet, but I wouldn't rely on any Apple computer not using its fans. Fan noise is better than throttling as I see it. Take your pick.
Meaning you stated I have the wrong machine and then gave me some tips that might help mitigate my issue, but that I’ve already taken to those measures. Sorry, I should have clarified in my original post.

I realize that fans are going to run higher to keep things cool at a certain point, I’d just like something with more processing headroom that makes it more difficult to get to that point.

In my case, I just think it’s odd that if the only thing I’m running on my MBP is ableton, starting with one midi track, looping / layering / etc. that my fans are maxing out.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

In my case, I just think it’s odd that if the only thing I’m running on my MBP is ableton, starting with one midi track, looping / layering / etc. that my fans are maxing out.
Live is a demanding DAW. What do you have as instrument on that track? What's your audio buffer?

At any rate, I think your expectations are skewed. MBPs are not known to run cold. If you want to avoid fans you shouldn't use Live as the DAW. Possibly Reaper is more effective. But mostly it depends on the former parameters, the actual instrument and the audio buffer. A demanding instrument can spin up a single core, especially if the audio buffer is low.

One thing you could try is to use AppPolice and limit Live's CPU usage until you need it all. It works great for me on older MBPs and allows me to prevent throttling. I don't care about fans though, only maxing out continued CPU use.

An iPad Pro with some DAW would actually record well and not have fans running. ARM makes that possible.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Live is a demanding DAW. What do you have as instrument on that track? What's your audio buffer?

At any rate, I think your expectations are skewed. MBPs are not known to run cold. If you want to avoid fans you shouldn't use Live as the DAW. Possibly Reaper is more effective. But mostly it depends on the former parameters, the actual instrument and the audio buffer. A demanding instrument can spin up a single core, especially if the audio buffer is low.

One thing you could try is to use AppPolice and limit Live's CPU usage until you need it all. It works great for me on older MBPs and allows me to prevent throttling. I don't care about fans though, only maxing out continued CPU use.

An iPad Pro with some DAW would actually record well and not have fans running. ARM makes that possible.
I was just messing around with the “dirty roads” stock instrument and a drum rack with 4 different samples. I had the buffer at 512. Running a two bar loop. If I’m just playing the kit / keys without recording, all is good. It just starts to act up when I have a single drum clip playing.

In regards to the iPad Pro, I actually have 2017 model. Been considering cubasis, but have been running Beatmaker 3 for the time being. It’s pretty cool, but I really enjoy using ableton, so I gravitate to that.

I think you’re right though - I gotta manage my expectations with the fan situation on the MBP. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 14th June 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

Yep, Ableton Live is one of the programs that cause my fans to kick in quickly on the MacBook Pro. Not so on the i7 Mac Mini.

D
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Nut

3.2 i7 with 64GB of ram ordered.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
3.2 i7 with 64GB of ram ordered.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Congrats! I have the 3.2 i7 but only 16GB or ram.
Anyone try to upgrade the ram themselves? I've seen videos but a little nervous disconnecting so many things
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
Anyone try to upgrade the ram themselves? I've seen videos but a little nervous disconnecting so many things
Thanks!

So I’ve gotten inside my MacBook Pro to clean dust and change the thermal paste, but after watching how to do it with the Mac mini, I decided to pass on doing it myself. I bought my mini from apple’s refurb site and the cost difference between buying new with 8GB of ram + buying ram for cheaper after vs the refurb with it installed meant I would save under $100 going with a new one.

For the time investment to do it myself, I ate the extra $85 bucks to not have to do it. Is it doable? Absolutely. There are a few videos on YT that walk you through the process. If I were saving several hundred dollars by doing it myself, I’d definitely go that route.

If you’re the kind of person who will only buy new, then it’s def. a no brainer getting inside to swap it out. I’ve had nothing but good experiences buying Apple refurbs in the past though, so that’s why I went the route I did.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
I did. If you check on iFixit they have a video guide (I had that going on my iPad). Also I recommend buying their tool kit. It has all you’ll need, except the RAM of course. I too, was nervous about doing it myself, the video and the kit made it quite easy in the end. Just set yourself up at comfortable area, with enough space and light and take your time.

The Mini is actually built more robust than you might think. In the end I probably took mine apart 6 times, as my first set of upgrade RAM (from Crucial) was dead, so after putting it in 3 times (thinking I’d done it wrong and broken my Mac!) then putting the original in twice, then finally putting the working RAM in. I became a bit of an expert, especially with the more fiddly bits.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search