The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for a new audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Recommendations for a new audio interface

Hi,

As per the title, I'm looking for some recommendations for a new audio interface.

I'm a little bit out of touch, and while I have read the LLP thread I'm still not sure what the best option is.

I've had an MR816 since it was released (8 years?) and I've always had audio dropouts, even when the computer wasn't doing much. The only way to resolve it seemed to be to increase the FW buffer size with the Steinberg utility, which meant it was then impossible to get good low latency performance.

I've just upgraded to an i9 platform and I'm still getting dropouts so I think it's time to replace the audio interface. Low latency is definitely important as I mostly record with live instruments.

Other equipment I use...

Software:
- Cubase
- Superior Drummer, Omnisphere, Ivory etc.
Input:
- Pacifca > Distressor > MR816 line-ins
- Keyboard > MR816 pre-amp ins
- Two Notes Torpedo Live > MR816 S/PDIF Coax
Output:
- MR816 > NOS McOne passive monitor controller
- MR816 > headphone out while recording

I've been looking at the RME PCIe card as it tops the LLP list but couldn't see a coax S/PDIF connector on the standard cables. Also I'm not sure what I'd do for headphone monitoring as I don't have an external mixer. I also run other devices (laptop etc.) through the 816 as the monitor controller is single channel.

The next devices on the LLP list, which have more connectivity and headphone outs, are a significant jump in price.

Is it possible to use the MR816 for the inputs, conversion, outputs etc, and go with something like the RME HDSPe RayDAT and use the optical ADAT connectors? Will this still maintain the LLP of the RME card, or will going through the MR816 somehow affect that?

Or can anyone recommend another desktop / rackmount option that can replace the MR816 entirely and still get good LLP and meet the specs above without breaking the bank? (motherboard is X299 Deluxe so can do USB-C/3.1/TB).

Thanks for your patience in reading this, and any insight you can give .

Last edited by Ving; 6 days ago at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Grammar!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I recommend Presonus Quantum, I'm on windows 10. Low latency, good pre-amps, lots of in and outs. No dps though
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
I recommend Presonus Quantum, I'm on windows 10. Low latency, good pre-amps, lots of in and outs. No dps though
Thanks, daskeladden. The Quantum looks like it would do the job.

Does anyone have experience of the RayDAT card with the MR816? I found some threads where it was mentioned, but no review of how it worked out.

Thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ving View Post
Is it possible to use the MR816 for the inputs, conversion, outputs etc, and go with something like the RME HDSPe RayDAT and use the optical ADAT connectors? Will this still maintain the LLP of the RME card, or will going through the MR816 somehow affect that?
You can use the MR816 via adat if the unit works in standalone mode. If not you'll most likely run into problems with 2 interfaces in your DAW in Windows.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search