The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio crackles Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Audio crackles

Hi,

I have purchased and installed a brand new Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB audio interface. Recently it started to produce crackling noises both when recording and playing. Before going further let me specify that I have a dedicated PC for my studio, that has been optimised for music production. Although it is not very recent, its specs should be more than enough to allow a smooth operation (Win 10, i7-4770K @3.5GHz, RAM 32 GB, 2x SSD).

I have tried various sample rates and buffer size combinations. The higher the buffer size, the less crackles I hear. However, I need to be able to work at 48 KHz with a total latency under 10ms, which I believe should be entirely manageable with the gear I have. I used a cheaper audio interface before (Roland Octa-Capture) and I never experienced any crackles, and had better latency values.

Any hint on what I should try in order to improve the situation?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Which DAW software are you using ? It's usually software but you have checked cables etc haven't you ?
Old 1 week ago
I'm using Reaper, latest version. Cables are good. It is really crackles and pops, typical noises when you try to decrease the buffer size in an attempt to reduce latency but your computer can't handle it. Except in my case I'm working at 48k, 128 samples, with an i7 @3.5GHz, 32 GB RAM and a fast SSD, so there's really no reason I should be hearing this.
Old 1 week ago
I just picked up the same interface. No problems running at 32 samples.
Also using Reaper. Windows 10, I7 7700k, 32 GB ram, M.2.
I'm curious as to what your problem could be. Have you checked your DPC latency?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

This is likely your computer, and would depend on its components and many other factors.
Old 8 hours ago
Ok but is there a way to narrow down the culprit?
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Download and run the free Resplendence Latency Mon. Should help in troubleshooting. Run it on the basic PC without the Focusrite unit first to make sure the PC is OK.

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search