The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne (Editor) vs AutoTune Pro vs Waves Tune
Old 11th October 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Melodyne (Editor) vs AutoTune Pro vs Waves Tune

Hello musicians,

I got myself Logic Pro X and wanna record over already existing beats (for now, I wanna learn producing myself later on).
Therefore I want a pitch correction plug-in to optimize it and be able to use formant shifting as the song continues (This song (first part) is a good example:


I've read through every topic I could find on the net, still I'm not sure, so here goes a thread for my particular case.

My budget isn't that high so the options are Melodyne Editor, Waves Tune or AutoTune Pro. Currently Waves Tune runs an offer where you can get the Vocal Bundle (including WavesTune, DeBreath, Double, Renaissance Axe/Channel/DeEsser) for only 89€ (on another page 69€). On the other hand Melodyne Editor costs 377€, AutoTune Pro 349€. I know all of them are good. Unfortunately I'm in the need to choose.

Workflow is a nice thing, but to a certain degree I'd cut it for the plug-in that does the best job and lets me be creative. From what I've read Melodyne is the best choice (espacially since ARA2 for Logic is out), but is the Editor version too much of a restriction (it misses the Sound Editor /Multitracks) compared to WavesTune/AutoTune Pro?
I could still upgrade to Melodyne's studio version later on but Editor would need to be enough for vocal pitching/formant shifting (for now).

Any helping information is appreciated.

Regards,
Zator

Last edited by Zator; 12th October 2018 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Eric corrected me so I corrected this thread
Old 11th October 2018
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Hey Zator! The "pitch shifting" in your example is actually formant shifting. Out of the 3, I have melodyne studio and autotune pro. Autotune would be the easiest tool with which to automate formant shifts like that. Melodyne is great if you're doing a lot of manual pitch editing and autotune is easiest to slap on and go. Autotune almost always sounds better if you can afford the extra time it requires.
Old 12th October 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

My bad, I edited it, thanks.

Also thanks for your sight on this.
In that case I'll definitely try out the demo of AutoTune.

Any other experiences?
Old 12th October 2018
  #4
I can't tell you which is better or what to buy, but here are my own experiences with pitch correction.

As a Cubase user, the program comes with it's own Vari-Audio in which I was excited about getting with a newer Cubase verion. It does a nice job in stretching words/syllables, making pitch corrections and sounding natural, but was disappointed in that after making some alterations it brought my 12 core/48 GB DAW to it's knee's and hangs so much, it's nearly impossible to carry on. I was given some work-arounds to stop this problem by some users here, but I haven't tried them yet.

On the other hand, Waves-Tune did a pretty good job, even on my Win XP quad core/4 GB ram DAW, and without grinding my system to a halt. I tried Melodyne several years back, which may have been in it's 1st version at the time? I didn't find it intuitive, and had to make corrections 'separately & outside' my project (maybe the newer versions are different. I must admit Melodyne seemed very interesting. I've never tried Auto-Tune that I recall.
Old 13th October 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Alex_HS's Avatar
Quote:
(This song (first part) is a good example
I'm easy do similar effect in Melodyne (just align notes in straight lines, couple of mouse clicks). At the same time, I have full manual control over transitions between notes and I can to do, for example, "synth" vocal without T-Pain effect.
Old 14th October 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I can't tell you which is better or what to buy, but here are my own experiences with pitch correction.

As a Cubase user, the program comes with it's own Vari-Audio in which I was excited about getting with a newer Cubase verion. It does a nice job in stretching words/syllables, making pitch corrections and sounding natural, but was disappointed in that after making some alterations it brought my 12 core/48 GB DAW to it's knee's and hangs so much, it's nearly impossible to carry on. I was given some work-arounds to stop this problem by some users here, but I haven't tried them yet.

On the other hand, Waves-Tune did a pretty good job, even on my Win XP quad core/4 GB ram DAW, and without grinding my system to a halt. I tried Melodyne several years back, which may have been in it's 1st version at the time? I didn't find it intuitive, and had to make corrections 'separately & outside' my project (maybe the newer versions are different. I must admit Melodyne seemed very interesting. I've never tried Auto-Tune that I recall.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll take a closer look at Waves Tune. Awesome it worked well for you when Vari-Audio hit it's limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS View Post
I'm easy do similar effect in Melodyne (just align notes in straight lines, couple of mouse clicks). At the same time, I have full manual control over transitions between notes and I can to do, for example, "synth" vocal without T-Pain effect.
Sounds very interesting. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Also, I think I'll wait for cyber monday to come and hopefully they release good offers.
Old 14th October 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I've used Melodyne Essential which comes with Studio One for a while now. The overview is a) there is a definite learning curve and b) it can sound really natural (if that's what you're going for) once you get used to it.

What I really don't like about it is how often it's wrong about what notes you played (according to its built in scale). In fact it displays the wrong notes quite often. That said, once you get used to the fact you're editing mis-named notes much of the time, you get a feel for how much you have to raise or lower the pitches of the notes that are displayed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the display does invariably show the note you want displayed (even if it's mis-named) and how far you have to raise or lower it.

Melodyne also has a function to maintain the pitch over long notes which I use often as well.

In my case, I've always gone for a natural performance, not so much tuning effects, and now that I have a lot of flight time in Melodyne, I've gotten confident that I can enhance vocals without introducing artifacts. It takes time to learn how close to perfect you want to tune things; you don't always want to be exactly on pitch, you want to randomize a bit to be believable (once again that's assuming you want to be believable, not everyone does).

Lastly, I'd state that there's an awful lot you can do with Melodyne Essential, which is now free with several DAWs, and Vocalign Project (which doesn't tune like its mondo expensive sibling Revoice Pro, but aligns just as well as it does). In other words you can have an awful lot of vocal processing power with this duo that costs considerably less than buying full Melodyne or Autotune. Regarding Autotune, personally I'd rather edit manually since I'm going for natural but if you're not or you're in a hurry, it has its uses.

Last edited by troggg; 15th October 2018 at 03:34 PM..
Old 14th October 2018
  #8
I agree about editing manually rather than having the pitch correction making any decisions, which I've never been pleased with those results. Editing manually is a lot of work, but worth it. I don' go for 'effect' I go for correcting pitch problems only, so I want natural. What I've done with WavesTune is set to chromatic (as I recall setting scales causes more ocurences of the wrong notes being automatically selected), and have it analyze. Then I'd go back and edit by mouse/hand.

Each pitch correction program takes some amount of time to learn, though not a huge deal. I have to assume that most work good, in similar ways, and take a short time to understand to make good use of it. You can't really know what you like better until you work with them for a good while, so it's really a matter of personal preference. For example, once I worked with WavesTune for quite a while, I was discovering new things about it. I need to work with Vari-Audio much longer than I have. With that, I won't be looking into looking elsewhere for pitch correction programs, only because I'm already familiar with what I've used. Not to say that the others aren't just as good or not.
Old 15th October 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I've used Melodyne Essential which comes with Studio One for a while now. The overview is a) there is a definite learning curve and b) it can sound really natural (if that's what you're going for) once you get used to it.

What I really don't like about it is how often it's wrong about what notes you played (according to its built in scale). In fact it displays the wrong notes quite often. That said, once you get used to the fact you're editing mis-named notes much of the time, you get a feel for how much you have to raise or lower the pitches of the notes that are displayed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the display does invariably show the note you want displayed (even if it's mis-named) and how far you have to raise or lower it.

Melodyne also has a function to maintain the pitch over long notes which I use often as well.

In my case, I've always gone for a natural performance, not so much tuning effects, and now that I have a lot of flight time in Melodyne, I've gotten confident that I can enhance vocals with introducing artifacts. It takes time to learn how close to perfect you want to tune things; you don't always want to be exactly on pitch, you want to randomize a bit to be believable (once again that's assuming you want to be believable, not everyone does).

Lastly, I'd state that there's an awful lot you can do with Melodyne Essential, which is now free with several DAWs, and Vocalign Project (which doesn't tune like its mondo expensive sibling Revoice Pro, but aligns just as well as it does). In other words you can have an awful lot of vocal processing power with this duo that costs considerably less than buying full Melodyne or Autotune. Regarding Autotune, personally I'd rather edit manually since I'm going for natural but if you're not or you're in a hurry, it has its uses.
Thanks! I'm also aiming on the possibility for natural sounding, just like formant shifting. Unfortunately looking at Celemony's version comparison table Melodyne Essential is not an option for me but I was able to get an impression of what can definitely be done with Melodyne Editor. Also Vocalign Project looks really nice, I might add this to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I agree about editing manually rather than having the pitch correction making any decisions, which I've never been pleased with those results. Editing manually is a lot of work, but worth it. I don' go for 'effect' I go for correcting pitch problems only, so I want natural. What I've done with WavesTune is set to chromatic (as I recall setting scales causes more ocurences of the wrong notes being automatically selected), and have it analyze. Then I'd go back and edit by mouse/hand.

Each pitch correction program takes some amount of time to learn, though not a huge deal. I have to assume that most work good, in similar ways, and take a short time to understand to make good use of it. You can't really know what you like better until you work with them for a good while, so it's really a matter of personal preference. For example, once I worked with WavesTune for quite a while, I was discovering new things about it. I need to work with Vari-Audio much longer than I have. With that, I won't be looking into looking elsewhere for pitch correction programs, only because I'm already familiar with what I've used. Not to say that the others aren't just as good or not.
Thanks. I will try this out in Waves. My main concern is manual editing as I think it opens up to brighter possibilities, though it might require more time. I get your point and before I'll make an ultimate decision. I'll try the demos and see what works good for me.
Old 15th October 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zator View Post
Unfortunately looking at Celemony's version comparison table Melodyne Essential is not an option for me but I was able to get an impression of what can definitely be done with Melodyne Editor. Also Vocalign Project looks really nice, I might add this to my list.
Well I have to admit there are a lot of times I wish had the much-costlier polyphonic option for tuning guitar chords ... that said, I have a policy: I don't pay more for tuning and timing programs than I pay for entire DAWs!

Also, I meant to say, "I've gotten confident that I can enhance vocals without introducing artifacts." I originally said "with" and have corrected that.

Regarding Vocalign Project, if you're into singing and doubling parts and like to throw in backup vocals ... well, it's a world of difference to have these in perfect (to the ear) alignment, and no amount of manual editing comes close to Vocalign. Yes, you can painstakingly improve things somewhat manually without it, but once you hear the difference in tightness, it's so worth it for the finished result not to mention the time savings.

Don't get me started about the price of the Pro version! I think Synchro Arts really shoots itself in the foot with pricing guaranteed to scare away 99.9% of potential customers. In summation, Vocalign Project did a great job of aligning vocals in 1999 and it still does a great job of aligning vocals in 2018.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump