The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU MIDI Timepiece Install/OSX - HELP!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

MOTU MIDI Timepiece Install/OSX - HELP!

Sigh. I miss OS9. The more OSX approaches iOS, the more I hate it.

Okay, here's the situation. I got a new Mac Pro 2010 12 core to run Logic and Reaper, running latest OS and Logic. I've connected my MIDI Timepiece AV/USB to it and run the latest Motu MIDI driver installer, restart, and it doesn't show up in the midi section of Audio/MIDI set up inside the Utilities folder. After searching Google for an answer, I discover that I need to put a copy of the driver into the User/Library/Audio/Midi drivers folder, which is hidden of course. Fine, I do that and reboot. Still nothing in the midi setup window. Clockworks can't find it either.

So, exactly how does one install a timepiece in the new OSX?

Any help is more than appreciated, thank you.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bumpity.

Anyone? Please? This completely stops me and I've run out of ideas.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Something is missing from your information.
Download the latest (taking for granted your cheese grater is running an OS compatible with it) Driver from MOTU site. Also, hopefully you're plugged in via the USB on the MTP.
Let the Driver install itself. You don't have to manually be placing it in the folder. Your Library doesn't have to be hidden (there's a terminal command to do it).
It should then show up in the AMS.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hah! Okay...long story short, Apple's a butt and just orphaned the midi timepiece.

The Long Story: Finally got it working. Fortunately, my son is a computer geek and can fly the terminal window. Breeding your own tech support = highly recommended. Here's what he found:

Note the part where it says "system policy prevents loading". According to my son, that translates into English as "Well, you didn't pay us money so we're cutting you out of the new system." In other words, probably the best selling midi interface ever doesn't work with the new OS. Luckily, my son knew the code to "F U Apple" and forced the system to recognize the Motu drivers. I've asked him to follow thru with the specific command line instructions for "F U Apple". Stay tuned.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are you on High Sierra? If you are, see if the Motu Midi Driver kext can be found in /Library/StagedExtensions and subfolders (like /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions). If it's there:

- disable SIP - Instructions here - reboot
- delete the .kext from StagedExtensions, reboot
- re-enable SIP
- then re-install the new Motu driver

(Removing files in /Library/StagedExtensions can also be done without disabling SIP, via command line in Recovery, as described here.)

I have a very old Motu Fastlane Midi interface, when I tested High Sierra, it worked without issue. Same driver.

Here's a description from Motu.

Last edited by stratology; 1 week ago at 04:13 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Are you on High Sierra? If you are, see if the Motu Midi Driver kext can be found in /Library/StagedExtensions and subfolders (like /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions). If it's there:

- disable SIP - Instructions here - reboot
- delete the .kext from StagedExtensions, reboot
- re-enable SIP
- then re-install the new Motu driver

(Removing files in /Library/StagedExtensions can also be done without disabling SIP, via command line in Recovery, as described here.)

I have a very old Motu Fastlane Midi interface, when I tested High Sierra, it worked without issue. Same driver.

Here's a description from Motu.
Perfect! Yes, that's exactly what happened and how it was fixed. I couldn't find this info by Google and had to call in a Pro. Glad the info is out there. The way I understand it, MOTU has stopped giving Apple money to have their driver given permission by the system to be recognized. Can you spell "Extortion"?

Okay... I'm guessing you can since I just spelled it out

Cheers.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
The way I understand it, MOTU has stopped giving Apple money to have their driver given permission by the system to be recognized.

No, it's just a regular, meaningful security measure that affects every 3rd party that wants to install a driver. During the install process, the user has to give permission in System Prefs > Security. If he/she does not, or misreads the dialog box, the driver does not get permission to run.
So, essentially, the feature protects the computer from malware installs on system level.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

In short:

- Restart Mac OS X and hold command-R (Apple-R)
- Menubar -> Utilities menu -> Terminal
- "csrutil disable" without quotes, press enter afterwards
- Restart again
- ???
- profit
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
No, it's just a regular, meaningful security measure that affects every 3rd party that wants to install a driver. During the install process, the user has to give permission in System Prefs > Security. If he/she does not, or misreads the dialog box, the driver does not get permission to run.
So, essentially, the feature protects the computer from malware installs on system level.
Travis from MOTU Tech Support here. I just wanted to jump in and say Stratology hit the nail on the head. When installing drivers in versions of macOS later than High Sierra, you must go to Security and Privacy immediately after install and "allow" the extension to load.
This "allow" message will time out after 30mins or so so if this message is no longer there, you can re-trigger it by trashing the .kext from your machine and running the MOTU MIDI installer again.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Travis.

Okay, Apple isn't a butt.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search