The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB Audio Glitches - Macbook Pro 2018
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Too late for me, I sold mine and bought a MSI. Pretty happy now, no issues, much more power ... and RGB everywhere
What is a MSI?
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Usb audio glitching

Its a combination of bad connection from old dusty usb ports, bad usb cables, sub vibrations on gigs, and network software/hardware creating cpu spikes. Especially on older machines the new daw/dj software versions require more and more cpu usage, pushing the cpu spikes further and further up to the ceiling. When the cpu spike hits the ceiling above 100%, it will make a system hickup.

There are multiple ways to solve these issues, in pc and apparently reading this thread its the same with macs:

1. Turn of all network connections, wifi cards etc.
2. Try a few different usb cables.
3. Stabilize usb ports from vibrations with tape or with OWC ClingOn usb plug stabilizers. This happens from big sub vibrations on gigs.
4. Clean the usb ports carefully with alcohol, while turned off. Might be dust in combination with vibrations making glitchy connection.
5. If nothing else helps, get a new computer! If the cpu is old it might not be able to handle new daw/dj software versions that uses more cpu and push the cpu spikes (created by the usb data stream?) further up close to the ceiling.

Over the years ive experienced all these things, both on gigs and in the studio. But its far more prominent on gigs because of the sometimes strong sub vibrations from PA that I think messes with the flow of the usb data package stream, making data stream buffer hickups.

So im wondering if these spikes are produced by the usb technology itself. We know that usb is not a constant stream of data, it sends these packages. And one can imagine each package creates a little cpu spike that could be increased over time with software updates on older cpus, or from physical vibrations on the conections that misses a package here and there.

Its easy to test:
If you have the glitch problem, try to tap on the usb cable close to the usb port while playing music. This usually increase the problem. I had a gig recently where the problem was so strong that the louder I played the more it glitched! So I had to take the volume down some db.. The morons had placed the stage directly on top of massive subs, and the dj table was shaking like a masage machine.

For me, its time for a new computer with better cpu so to increase the cpu treshold for these glitch spikes. And I will get these ClingOn usb port stabilizers asap.

These usb spikes are allways happening, and the only way I know to tame them are listed above. As long as they are belove the 100% cpu treshold the system will not glitch. Stabilizing the computer and interface on soft rubber etc also helps on gigs.

*Thanks to Native Instruments support and Ableton Support, as well as bright computer nerd gig-friends for all the help over the years.
Old 19th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by assessor View Post
What is a MSI?
A fully functional audio laptop . I bought the MSI GE73 8SF if you want to check it, awesome performance.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Addict

Anyone here tried the Prism Lyra interface with a mac mini 2018 ? I am a bit worry of those audio glitches
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

that's some great news .. thanks
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

My beta 10.14.4 seems to be fine.
I'm very reluctant to update to the official 10.14.4 that is out now.
Anyone tried yet?
Huub
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
My beta 10.14.4 seems to be fine.
I'm very reluctant to update to the official 10.14.4 that is out now.
Anyone tried yet?
Huub
why are you having second thoughts on the official version if the beta is running fine? doesnt make any sense to me
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
why are you having second thoughts on the official version if the beta is running fine? doesnt make any sense to me
Well there's no guarantee that the official version is fine as well is there?
Also no guarantee that no new problems are introduced.

I'm fine running the beta, I'm curious though.

Huub
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

a right angle USB connection might be a better bet for a cable entry geometry. also it is questionable what kind of error correction is used on anything acting as an audio interface. the error correction on CD's was often robust enough to handle the drilling of holes in the actual CD media.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read on the RME forum that beta 5 worked and beta 6 broke it again. I believe beta 6 was the release candidate.

10.14.4 didn't fix my issues personally.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I read on the RME forum that beta 5 worked and beta 6 broke it again. I believe beta 6 was the release candidate.

10.14.4 didn't fix my issues personally.
**** okay that sux balls!
after I read the post of Daniel Fuchs on the RME board I was pretty confident that this **** will be fixed soon. Now you tell us this.. I am devastated.
Can you link the corresponding link to the thread on RME homepage please..?
Can't seem to find it.

Also I would like to know what converter/interface you are using?
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
**** okay that sux balls!
after I read the post of Daniel Fuchs on the RME board I was pretty confident that this **** will be fixed soon. Now you tell us this.. I am devastated.
Can you link the corresponding link to the thread on RME homepage please..?
Can't seem to find it.

Also I would like to know what converter/interface you are using?
Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018 (Page 2) — FireWire & USB series — RME User Forum

It seems better, but not fixed. I'm using slate VRS-8 (2 of them). Thunderbolt 2, but it had all of the same problems my USB 2 interface had (Apogee Symphony) . The Slates work 100% with my 2015 MacBook Pro. Maybe the update is better for others.

I kind of have PTSD from this whole thing.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

I will install 10.14.4 tomorrow and report back using my RME UFX
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018 (Page 2) — FireWire & USB series — RME User Forum

It seems better, but not fixed. I'm using slate VRS-8 (2 of them). Thunderbolt 2, but it had all of the same problems my USB 2 interface had (Apogee Symphony) . The Slates work 100% with my 2015 MacBook Pro. Maybe the update is better for others.

I kind of have PTSD from this whole thing.

Just to possibly narrow down the problem(s): Are you using the 2 as aggregate device? Did you try just 1 without aggregate device?

Huub
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Just to possibly narrow down the problem(s): Are you using the 2 as aggregate device? Did you try just 1 without aggregate device?

Huub
No, they show up as 1 interface in logic. No aggregate necessary.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Okay guys.. I installed the update today (macOS 10.14.4) and I run music since 4 hours via USB and my RME UFX without any drop-outs...Fingers crossed that the problem is now fixed..

Last edited by midmost; 28th March 2019 at 12:12 AM..
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear
Tried using my RME Babyface and my Prism Atlas via USB with my Mac mini 2018 on OS 10.14.4. No issues at all.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

I don’t want to jinx it, but after resetting Pram and SMC things seem to be working.

Edit: NOPE, jinxed
Old 28th March 2019
downloading right now and going to update. I hope to hell this $hiT works ffs.

Update: works ****ing great with Digitakt running Overbridge and RME Fireface UFX.

Last edited by Squirrel Chucker; 7th April 2019 at 02:59 PM..
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Okay, for me this seem finally solved!

I have been mixing on my MacBook Pro 2018 all day long using my RME UFX via USB and haven't had a single glitch or drop-out.
Happy Apple finally took action as required.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

I've been testing my macbook touchbar 15" as live effects rig with rme madiface usb.
With mac os 10.14.4 thusfar rocksolid at 128 samples.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear
Problem solved with 10.14.4. Yamaha 01V96i runs rock solid!
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm testing extensively before taking my rig live;
It's good but not quite It seems.
When using Live Professor for Live processing with an Rme Madiface as interface, with about 4 tracks of Audio with some plug ins, the dsp meter in live processor stays low and quite stable.
No dropouts after several hours running at 128 samples buffer.

Now if I add 10 tracks with just a few plugins, the dsp meter stays low and stable.
However;

Live Professor has this function "report drop outs from Audio interface"
And this gives me warnings, including audible tiny drop outs.
So this happens although cpu usage stays low and stable.

Annoying and does not make sense to me.

Huub
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

I'm having this quite annoying problem with my Motu Stage B-16 on a Mac mini using AVB ethernet connection. But it's worse: I 'm experiencing a different trouble using also the USB connection. I don't know yet if it's a Motu issue or an Apple Mojave/Macmini issue or, a Reaper issue. On Ethernet, sometimes I get this weird ring modulation sound while playing/recording in Reaper. On USB, sometimes it seems like a clock issue, freezing sound with an annoying high frequency sound while playing/recording, and then, I have to reboot Reaper. I'm considering change my whole equipment because of these issues...Is there somebody here who can bring some insights or any solution, or even, does anybody here knows what it is?
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

So no more:

error 14:57:41.363603 +0100 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:312:EndReading: HALS_IOA1Engine::EndReading: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7

error 15:16:06.114678 +0100 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting: HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE

every once in +/- 5 minutes in the console log while doing audio over USB?

That would be nice !!!

-Ben-
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Hi, my personal experience might be useful for other mac users:

I have a 2019 15" touchbar. i7 2.2Ghz.

I use my macbook for live audioprocessing (amongst other things)

From 10.14.4 usb audio has been good, the subsequent 10.14.5 betas have been fine as well.

I use an RME madiface USB and Live Professor 2.3.4 for live processing.

I still need to test even more, but it seems that even at 64 samples buffer I can run quite a lot of plugins for hours and hours without issues.
For me it was essential to not have the "use more threads" ticked , otherwise I was getting the "report dropouts from audio device warnings" in Live Professor unless I kept the CPU usage very low.
(I was able to run stereo bus processing for live broadcast without any issues though)

Without "use more threads" ticked, things run good even when stressing the CPU a bit more.

I use "turbo boost switcher" to turn off the i7 turboboost as this keeps CPU speed constant, fluctuating CPU speed seems scary for live processing.
For mixing I leave it on though, and running (although unsupported still) PT with HD video is quite good on my system.

Huub
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Head
Hi all,

I'm just joining this 'party', a couple of days ago I replaced my old 2008 unibody 13-inch MacBook with a 2018 MBP one.
I noticed (with RME Babyface Pro) straightaway the drop-outs and found this thread (among others). For me, the MacOS update to 10.14.4 resolved the dropout caused by the Date/time issue.

I'm thankful I found this thread!

Cheers
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

There seems to be some users mistaking their particular audio problems for the specific one caused b y the T2 chip. This problem has now been fixed. Party on Mac users
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
What kind of USB adaptors are you using?

Seems like for most users was the problem got fixed with the 10.14.4 update. Not for me.

I have a MBP 2018, running 10.14.4 with an RME UC - but audio still glitches.
The USB adaptor I use is this one:
https://www.power.no/data-og-tilbeho...s-bk/p-253265/

Which makes me curious, what kind of USB adapters are you using? I know if I get an expensive thunderbolt hub, I can get rid of the glitch - but please let me know what kind of adapters you are using that makes it work for you - since this should apparantly work with the 10.14.4 update.

Many thanks,
Lasse
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. HorseMagic View Post
Seems like for most users was the problem got fixed with the 10.14.4 update. Not for me.

I have a MBP 2018, running 10.14.4 with an RME UC - but audio still glitches.
The USB adaptor I use is this one:
https://www.power.no/data-og-tilbeho...s-bk/p-253265/

Which makes me curious, what kind of USB adapters are you using? I know if I get an expensive thunderbolt hub, I can get rid of the glitch - but please let me know what kind of adapters you are using that makes it work for you - since this should apparantly work with the 10.14.4 update.

Many thanks,
Lasse
Both a PCI tb3 adapter (caldigit) and Apple usb-c adapter cable work fine for me.

Huub
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search