The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB Audio Glitches - Macbook Pro 2018
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbdan View Post
By wifi i assume you mean any network connection? My Mac Mini is on hardwired ethernet.
I'm not sure about the wired connection, it should be the same. If I disable Wifi, I get this message in Console:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1544554493

Timed won't run again until I connect to a network.
Attached Thumbnails
USB Audio Glitches - Macbook Pro 2018-screenshot-2018-12-10-17.00.47.jpg  
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Head

Yep. The timed process will attempt a sync over *any* network connection, so kill them *all* - wifi, wired, bluetooth, cell pairing, etc.
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

This thread is super-helpful, and now I can reproduce this issue at will be simply turning off Set Time and Date Automatically, give it a couple of minutes, then switch it back on: 1 second audio gap immediately and, as per Terra Oroboroz's log analysis from Console, I see the audio pause and restart:

default 18:57:59.777590 +0000 timed Received time Tue Dec 11 18:57:59 2018±0.02 from "NTP"
default 18:57:59.581295 +0000 kernel + IOAudioEngine[<private>]::pauseAudioEngine()
default 18:57:59.583095 +0000 kernel + IOAudioEngine[<private>]::resumeAudioEngine()

Updated, this is followed in the log by:

Process coreaudiod.165 TurnedOff PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.YamahaUSBAudioEngine2:0499:170f:0102:Steinberg UR22mkII :L-14110000.context.preventuseridlesleep" age:00:04:09 id:4295003455 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser kDisp]

Out of my depth here! But I'm sure someone understands. But for me its a breakthrough that I can reproduce it at will!

Last edited by graeme_ncl; 11th December 2018 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: added further detail
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Spoke with Apple today. They said that I should try the usual SMC and NVRAM reset, but I told them that I'm not expecting a fix immeditely, I just want to report my findings and hope that the issue I have will be fixed by a software update in the near future.
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Oroboroz View Post
Spoke with Apple today. They said that I should try the usual SMC and NVRAM reset, but I told them that I'm not expecting a fix immeditely, I just want to report my findings and hope that the issue I have will be fixed by a software update in the near future.
Same here. The engineer I spoke to last night, including reproducing the issue on demand over the phone, has sent the output from the Capture Data tool he asked me to use to their engineers, so fingers crossed that between us (and if more users can equally report and submit logs) they will patch it in a future release.

Last edited by graeme_ncl; 12th December 2018 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_ncl View Post
Same here. The engineer I spoke to last night, including reproducing the issue on demand over the phone, has sent the output from the Capture Data tool he asked me to use to their engineers, so fingers crossed that between us (and if more users can equally report and submit logs) they will patch it in a future release.
I think this is all we can do at the moment. Still on the fence about returning the Macbook however. I'm fine with waiting for a software fix, but I also see a ton of reports about failed keyboards and sudden reboots that makes me question the reliability of this machine even more.
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Oroboroz View Post
I think this is all we can do at the moment. Still on the fence about returning the Macbook however. I'm fine with waiting for a software fix, but I also see a ton of reports about failed keyboards and sudden reboots that makes me question the reliability of this machine even more.
Yeh fair enough. This is my first Mac after 15-odd years of production on PCs, and other than this somewhat annoying issue (which has so far given me the delightful second of silence twice on stage and also mid-recording of a BBC Radio live session, embarrassing!!), its been great. Fingers crossed once this is solved I'll have the production and performance machine that I have been aiming for for years.... time will tell!
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Addict

Has anyone turned off the T2 security feature in their 2018 Macs with the T2 chip? I watched a video where one can boot up in Recovery mode, select Startup Security Utility, then turn off Secure Boot.

Wondering if this would help with the audio glitches! I no longer have the 2018 Mac Mini, so not able to test this out.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett View Post
Has anyone turned off the T2 security feature in their 2018 Macs with the T2 chip? I watched a video where one can boot up in Recovery mode, select Startup Security Utility, then turn off Secure Boot.

Wondering if this would help with the audio glitches! I no longer have the 2018 Mac Mini, so not able to test this out.
Didn’t help here.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Apple seem to have a major issue with their newest line of mac book pros ! period
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

absolutly a shame that this won´t get fixed in over 6 month. I liked apple but it really gets messier year by year. but at least they have new emoticons in every major release they are falling from great hights, will propably hurt
Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear
No drop outs any more

Hi all you gearslutz! =) I have read this forum for years and today I have created an account to be able to speak myself. =)

You all have been a loot of help through the years! Thanks a lot!

And also in this case. Since I disabled all network services including Bluetooth, WiFi and Thunderbolt bridge, I have zero dropouts and a rock stable Logic Pro X on my MBP 15" i9. With the services on, I have clock sync interrupts and restarts of the project in Logic and two seconds of break a couple of times per our when streaming from Spotify.

Of course I expect Apple to fix this really soon!

Otherwise the i9 runs flawless like a tank with ZERO crashes since I bought it in October. There really isn't anything on the market that can hold up to this machine in total and of course the build quality and OSX is a big thing here. Expensive, but I simply love it!

The Yamaha 01V96i runs perfect, but I was nearly going to throw it away because of this problem. Now I know it wasn't hers fault.

Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear

I got my money back from apple and bought a Lenovo P1 XEON. Because of my experience with the macbook i intensely tested this machine for a week now and have had not a single glitch (with wifi and Bluetooth on)... I tested with RME Fireface UC and AKAI EIE (red one). All my problems are solved ;-) When Apple gets their stuff sorted out i might pickup another macbook... But not today ;-)
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendiezel View Post
I got my money back from apple and bought a Lenovo P1 XEON. Because of my experience with the macbook i intensely tested this machine for a week now and have had not a single glitch (with wifi and Bluetooth on)... I tested with RME Fireface UC and AKAI EIE (red one). All my problems are solved ;-) When Apple gets their stuff sorted out i might pickup another macbook... But not today ;-)
I just bought a P1 and I am considering to return it and buy a MacBook. What software do you use with the P1?
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
I just bought a P1 and I am considering to return it and buy a MacBook. What software do you use with the P1?
What i tested sofar was Ableton Live, Reaper and Reaktor. Mostly with the RME Fireface UC...
Old 25th December 2018
Here for the gear

I come from Windows and bought a 2018 Macbook Pro recently to not have to deal with driver issues anymore (joke's on me I suppose). Using a Steinberg UR44 with newest drivers lead to the audio dropout mentioned earlier in the thread (something in the console with time synchronization followed by Core Audio errors and an audio dropout of approx. 1 second). Dropouts would happen any time, listening to Spotify, watching YouTube, producing in Ableton Live (sometimes taking down Live along with it).

I bought a Universal Audio Arrow which connects via Thunderbolt 3 and I don't have any dropouts anymore. There was a theory regarding this in another thread but I can't seem to find it right now. All I can say is, switching from USB to Thunderbolt 3 worked for me.
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendiezel View Post
Those are both on my list at the moment. Trying to decide between the two. I'm tempted to go with the macbook but i just keep hearing issues with it. How is the latency with the P1. Any issues doing really low latency work ie below 256 buffer?
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Those are both on my list at the moment. Trying to decide between the two. I'm tempted to go with the macbook but i just keep hearing issues with it. How is the latency with the P1. Any issues doing really low latency work ie below 256 buffer?
When i set the Power Options of the P1 to "High Performance" i can have a buffer of 64 samples at 44.1 KHz of 128 Samples at 96KHz Without glitches... This will kick in the fans a bit sins in this mode it will not throttle... When i set the Power Options to "Balanced" 256 Samples at 44.1 / 48 KHz Works perfectly fine too and is a bit more quite... So ya its windows ya need to tweak it a bit but than it works perfectly fine...

The glitches i got every 5 to 15 minutes at the MacBookPro 2018 that i could not get rid off showed up in the Console application like this:

error 14:57:41.363603 +0100 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:312:EndReading: HALS_IOA1Engine::EndReading: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7<br/><br/>error 15:16:06.114678 +0100 coreaudiod HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting: HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE

I would love to hear if these do not show up at all with a Thunderbold Interface or got resolved for USB interfaces by an update sins i need a Macbook Mojave anyway for multy platform development...

Meanwhile i'm totaly happy with the Lenovo Thinkpad P1 in combination with the RME FireFace UC! Its a match made in heaven!!!
Old 29th January 2019
Here for the gear

I have this same glitch with my 2014 MacBook Pro. I can't believe this issue is still happening with newer models and OS updates. I was thinking it would be solved my now and was going to do a hardware refresh, but this is disappointing to hear.

It happens with a MOTU Ultralite MK3 and Native Instruments Traktor DJ controllers (which connect via USB and have their own outputs.) Playing live and DJ'ing I've had these random dropouts. Always makes a quick little "glitch" sound followed by around a full second of silence, then everything comes back. People thankfully just assume it's FOH or a bad cable or something, but it stresses me out.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Head

Just to chime in - I've been having similar issues with my 2018 and MOTU Ultalite AVB - weird clock issues resulting in ring mod sounding distortion, inputs just stopping working, sound just stopping working, which meant rather than replacing my old 2012 macbook for live gigs, I've had to keep it instead of selling it and recouping some costs.

Just went into the time and date settings in system preferences, and as soon as I clicked the lock to make changes, I got the ring mod clock issue. Changing the clock source in the MOTU panel fixed it. Unchecked the 'auto time and date' and lost sound completely. Again, got it back by changing the clock settings. Interesting. Might be able to sell my old machine after all, although it was seriously struggling out in the South of France last year in 35 degree temperatures....
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Head

Hmmm, so even with auto time/date unchecked I came back to my laptop to find the weird ring mod /clock sync distortion, and had to switch sync sources and back again in the motu interface in order to fix it...
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

I was having this problem with my late 2018 Macbook Pro and Native Instruments USB audio interface, and this thread put me on the right track. It enabled me to consistently reproduce the issue by disabling and enabling "Set date and time automatically", even with all network interfaces inactivated.

The log in Console also confirmed that the dropouts only occurred in close proximity to com.apple.timed adjusting the clock.

Sadly, disabling "Set date and time automatically" and "Set time zone automatically" was not enough to stop com.apple.timed from running intermittently and setting the clock to the exact same time as before, triggering a kernel trap and reset of the sound engine.

However, the following does seem to have fixed the issue for me. I have had no dropouts, and the logs show no reset of the audio engine these last 24 hours.

I do not take any responsibility if this makes your mac explode.

Disable the com.apple.timed daemon

For this to work, you need to disable System Integrity Protection by running
Code:
csrutil disable
in Terminal in the Recovery OS (see the Apple documentation for details)

Then, back in regular macOS, run this command to disable timed:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.timed.plist
If you decide you want to have automatic time adjustment again (when not doing audio work, or after Apple hopefully releases a fix), just replace unload with load in the above command.

If, using Console, you discover other daemons or agents doing something iffy that cause audio dropouts, an idea would be to make scripts to disable and enable these in one go, so that we can have trouble-free audio when doing audio work, but retain convenience of macOS when not.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larskinn View Post
I was having this problem with my late 2018 Macbook Pro and Native Instruments USB audio interface, and this thread put me on the right track. It enabled me to consistently reproduce the issue by disabling and enabling "Set date and time automatically", even with all network interfaces inactivated.

The log in Console also confirmed that the dropouts only occurred in close proximity to com.apple.timed adjusting the clock.

Sadly, disabling "Set date and time automatically" and "Set time zone automatically" was not enough to stop com.apple.timed from running intermittently and setting the clock to the exact same time as before, triggering a kernel trap and reset of the sound engine.

However, the following does seem to have fixed the issue for me. I have had no dropouts, and the logs show no reset of the audio engine these last 24 hours.

I do not take any responsibility if this makes your mac explode.

Disable the com.apple.timed daemon

For this to work, you need to disable System Integrity Protection by running
Code:
csrutil disable
in Terminal in the Recovery OS (see the Apple documentation for details)

Then, back in regular macOS, run this command to disable timed:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.timed.plist
If you decide you want to have automatic time adjustment again (when not doing audio work, or after Apple hopefully releases a fix), just replace unload with load in the above command.

If, using Console, you discover other daemons or agents doing something iffy that cause audio dropouts, an idea would be to make scripts to disable and enable these in one go, so that we can have trouble-free audio when doing audio work, but retain convenience of macOS when not.

Hope this helps someone!
This is actually worse for me. I tried it and I get glitches much sooner than I did before I disabled this stuff. I'm gonna go back and see if its better.

EDIT: hold the phone, I think I had done it wrong. It does seem to be helping.

Last edited by thermos; 7th February 2019 at 12:04 AM..
Old 6th February 2019
Some people said disabling iCloud worked for them. I have also read in Reddit disabling SIP drains the battery more than 2x faster
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Reading forums here it seems macs have 90% more issues with audio than windows.. maybe windows is the present and future for music production
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Head

After having an issue the other day where changing the Ultralite clock from internal to optical and back to try and fix the clock sync issue and failing, and then unplugging the USB cable from my USB C dongle and reconnecting it didn't fix it, but unplugging the USB dongle itself and reconnecting *did* fix it, I started to wonder if the dongle itselfwas causing issues. I bought a couple of USB C to USB B cables a while back, so I tried connecting my ultralite with one of those this evening. During a 4 hour session I had one incident where the sound cut out completely, but compared to having the clock sync issues maybe every half hour or so previously it seems much better.

That said, enabling auto time and date did cause the audio to stop as previously, so I think that maybe I had two concurrent issues...
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4teenth View Post
After having an issue the other day where changing the Ultralite clock from internal to optical and back to try and fix the clock sync issue and failing, and then unplugging the USB cable from my USB C dongle and reconnecting it didn't fix it, but unplugging the USB dongle itself and reconnecting *did* fix it, I started to wonder if the dongle itselfwas causing issues. I bought a couple of USB C to USB B cables a while back, so I tried connecting my ultralite with one of those this evening. During a 4 hour session I had one incident where the sound cut out completely, but compared to having the clock sync issues maybe every half hour or so previously it seems much better.

That said, enabling auto time and date did cause the audio to stop as previously, so I think that maybe I had two concurrent issues...
Good news is you will probably continue to have both problems. The clocking issues pop up every 30 min to an hr, and the dropouts will continue to happen. Get a caldigit dock, those seem to be the best for USB 2 interfaces because it bypasses the Mac's internal USB. So says the RME developers anyway.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

I've had this issue with a 15" 2018 MBP and Apogee Duet 2.

Any more updates?

Personally, I can live with disabling Wifi when I need to for now. Sounds like they should be able to fix this with a software update.
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Get a caldigit dock, those seem to be the best for USB 2 interfaces because it bypasses the Mac's internal USB. So says the RME developers anyway.
£300 to fix a problem that shouldn't have ever existed?

Nah...
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4teenth View Post
£300 to fix a problem that shouldn't have ever existed?

Nah...
$129 actually. It’s the only workaround for now until Apple pulls their head out of their ass.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear