The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MacOS 10.14 "Mojave": share your experiences here
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
My little brother claims there's a patch out there that would allow me to install Catalina, and therefore I assume Mojave, on my 2012 cheese grater without having to install a Metal-capable graphics card.
This is the MacPro5,1?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
You can probably install it, but that also means you need to live with the effects of not having metal supported graphics or work around these to some extent. I'm looking at installing Mojave for an early 2011 MBP, but haven't had the time to do it. I'll get back to this when I do.
Yeah, I heard that it's possible on the MBP, Mojave, that is (I don't know about Catalina), but that it'd be practically-unusable due to the lack of graphics support from a Metal card.

As for the 5.1 cheese grater, as I said, I've never heard anyone say it was possible without a new card, until my lil' brother said it was, hence the question.

Thank you, Mikael. Look forward to your your MBP Mojave report, mate.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Yup.

Yeah, I heard that it's possible on the MBP, Mojave, that is (I don't know about Catalina), but that it'd be practically-unusable due to the lack of graphics support from a Metal card.

As for the 5.1 cheese grater, as I said, I've never heard anyone say it was possible without a new card, until my lil' brother said it was, hence the question.

Thank you, Mikael. Look forward to your your MBP Mojave report, mate.
Why not just install a new metal Graphics card in the 5.1 I did have never looked back.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Keeping the tower and MBP in-sync OS-wise, mate.

This is why I asked about the MBP as well 'cause the logical extension of what my brother claimed was that I'd be able to keep the two units in-sync, which I rely on.

I don't get to see or talk to him often, but he did mention something about its being a simple .dmg patch. I told him that I'd followed the 5.1-upgrade thing since the get-go and hadn't heard anything of the sort, but he insisted he was right, and when he insists he's right, I've learned to back off and research things myself...

Thank you for chiming in, mate.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

Just google install Mojave on MBP 2011
But backup backup, it is like going "offpist" on ski :-)
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Just google install Mojave on MBP 2011
But backup backup, it is like going "offpist" on ski :-)
@ Monkey Man has a Mac Pro though. Other considerations, no?
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
@ Monkey Man has a Mac Pro though. Other considerations, no?
Google dosdude
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Why not just install a new metal Graphics card in the 5.1 I did have never looked back.
i did the same. there's older cards on ebay. i bought one for $200. it was the windows version but the seller flashed it w/the apple firmware. works perfectly. no issues.

the apple version is twice the price just because it's labeled as "apple version".. even though the windows card is identical except for the firmware. at the time the seller had several of them for sale. this was a couple years ago. i can't even remember which card it is.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Google dosdude
I don't need to google anything. You're glossing over the lack of Metal support. Dosdude does not address this, does he? If the idea is to not get a card with metal support, if there isn't such a card installed, one needs to investigate the consequences of this.

I think it's doable for the most part to forego metal support, but this would depend on what software you do use I think.

Last edited by Mikael B; 24th January 2020 at 12:33 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search