Mac tcan 12core

I think Protools is still a beeatch in the scheme of things tho
Finicky sw 10% cpu then errors
20 years w this silliness
Pt 9 hd was good ...?
Old 11th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

FWIW I have CPU tested Mojave vs High Sierra extensively using Pro Tools Ultimate + Avid HD and Reaper + RME AES interface, both running at 96khz. I was consistently able to get 5% more processing power using HSierra across multiple machines.

I am now skipping Mojave and hoping Catalina will correct whatever is causing this. Once I get a hold of the Catalina beta I will come back here and post my findings.
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

I used Mojave for about 4 months, i work with Ableton 10 and I get CPU overloads and audio drop outs at any buffer size,
today I go back to High Sierra and work much better and smoother.

15" MacBook Pro 2015 + UAD Apollo Thunderbolt (silver)
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

mojave has been acting strange here .. tossing me off the internet after a few minutes of no use .. weird .. have to restart to get it back .. like it is timing out ..

have not seen any real issues in logic pro x or pro tools YET .. i was going to roll back to high sierra BUT i was foolish and made a lot of moves since the update ..

and i realize you CANNOT migrate Back to the previous OS using Apple Migration assistant .. F'ers .. so now i am kinda stuck on mojave on macbook, unless i get bold and just roolback manually and then figure out what i need to update file wise using Carbon Copy Cloner .. pita .. hoping not to have to do that though .. just keeping an eye on things for now ..
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

I go back to High Sierra with restore from Time Machine.
Restart with command + R and I choose restore from time machine, then I choose the date (and OS) that I want to restore the system.

All my music, Project files and libraries (except plugins) are on external disc.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrenetik View Post
I go back to High Sierra with restore from Time Machine.
Restart with command + R and I choose restore from time machine, then I choose the date (and OS) that I want to restore the system.

All my music, Project files and libraries (except plugins) are on external disc.
ah, i do not use TM ... all myMusic stuff is on external drives, no worries there, it is all my business stuff that is my main issue right now with mojave ..

just did full reset of Modem and Computer .. shall monitor it for the day and see .. usually dumped internet (but still says all is good, thats the odd part) within a few minutes ..

cheers john
Old 11th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Bad news. We tested the current Catalina beta release and found that its plug-in based CPU performance is identical to Mojave.

High Sierra again tested anywhere between 5-10% more efficient which is a substantial amount CPU headroom.

All testing was done on fresh OS X installs, with identical preferences, and all non audio related processes either killed in Activity Monitor or timed out.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I think I'm gonna give it a miss too, after much research.

For my 2012 cheese grater I'd need to buy a graphics card and jump through hoops (more software) in order to enable the boot screen. Not worth the hassle I reckon, so I'll freeze my system at 10.13.6.

One thing:
Is it true that Massive X will require Mojave or has NI dialled that back now? Can't find any info on this. It'd be ridiculous IMHO to not support the popular Sierra, let alone High Sierra.
The OSX version is not your biggest problem if you run on a 2009-2012 cheese grater. Massive X does not only require OSX 10.12+, it also requires an AVX compatible CPU, which is not available to these systems.

One of the reasons I'm looking to switch to a custom build Mac with Z390 / Intel 9900k. Just trying to decide if I want to put Mojave or High Sierra on it, as I do not intent to upgrade the OS for the next 2 to 3 years
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hey, thank you eagle.

Yeah, I found out about the AVX thing whilst reading that now-infamous-and-closed thread about MX at KVR.

Real bummer for me 'cause it means I'll have to wait 'til I've eventually upgraded to a new machine before I can play with it. I very-much look forward to using MX 'though, I must say.

Thanks again, man.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Bad news. We tested the current Catalina beta release and found that its plug-in based CPU performance is identical to Mojave.

High Sierra again tested anywhere between 5-10% more efficient which is a substantial amount CPU headroom.

All testing was done on fresh OS X installs, with identical preferences, and all non audio related processes either killed in Activity Monitor or timed out.
This cpu hit is what I’m seeing in real world use. Any idea what might be causing it that could possibly be eliminated or turned off?
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
This cpu hit is what I’m seeing in real world use. Any idea what might be causing it that could possibly be eliminated or turned off?
nope, and if you go into Activity Monitor you can kill processes to test.

We’ve concluded that Mojave (and now Catalina) has extra overhead requirements that High Sierra doesn’t have. Identical processes yet unevenly efficient on the same hardware. Frustrating.
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

I may go Catalina on my next build and just eat the 5-8% loss... something tells me Apple is intentionally giving the newer OS’s the extra cycles in the name of added functionality.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may go Catalina on my next build and just eat the 5-8% loss... something tells me Apple is intentionally giving the newer OS’s the extra cycles in the name of added functionality.
Something tells me Apple is throttling the OS back so you'll decide you need the new Mac Pro!
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something tells me Apple is throttling the OS back so you'll decide you need the new Mac Pro!
Yikes, and we now know that’s not beneath them which is sad.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Been noticing since the last updates that somehow automatically got turned on (now turned off) that I am getting audio drops or glitches.
More a pop sound every now and then even at 30% area of CPU. Regardless of 96KHz 48KHz etc.
RME FF802, Latency 64ms
Live 10.1.
Mid 2015 "15 MBP i7

Drives me nuts as it was working so well before.
Old 18th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Been noticing since the last updates that somehow automatically got turned on (now turned off) that I am getting audio drops or glitches.
More a pop sound every now and then even at 30% area of CPU. Regardless of 96KHz 48KHz etc.
RME FF802, Latency 64ms
Live 10.1.
Mid 2015 "15 MBP i7

Drives me nuts as it was working so well before.
What OS version?
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What OS version?
Sorry forgot to mention 10.14.5
Old 18th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry forgot to mention 10.14.5
So the jump from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 seems to be the culprit?

I can tell you right now based on your description with 30% visible headroom that you Real Time Audio thread is running a single core into the ground, especially with buffers at 64.

So perhaps the update in question added overhead across all cores and your RTA thread isnt happy about it. Increasing your buffer will soften the RTA spikes, but at a cost...
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the jump from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 seems to be the culprit?

I can tell you right now based on your description with 30% visible headroom that you Real Time Audio thread is running a single core into the ground, especially with buffers at 64.

So perhaps the update in question added overhead across all cores and your RTA thread isnt happy about it. Increasing your buffer will soften the RTA spikes, but at a cost...
Hard to say if it was at .5 or .4 where this started as I have not been tracking a lot this summer. When I get some time I will dig deeper to see but basically my setup has not changed much in the last year and it used to run really well. This is happening with out plugins also or using Overbridge.

I suspect it is like in High Sierra I had to run for a time a CPU loader as the OS built in energy manager was causing the issue. Another time it was Little Snitch Network Monitoring. So all these things could be areas to start trouble shooting on.

Also this is why I am considering building my Hackintosh and just sticking with a stable OS version and rarely doing updates.

Last edited by 807Recordings; 19th July 2019 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Adding a bit more
Old 23rd July 2019
Well get ready 10.14.6 is here too.. Got the update for Xcode today which mentioned it comes with the new SDKs.. Didnt know it would be out so soon but it is almost Catalina time after all.. Here's to all of us staying behind haha.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hard to say if it was at .5 or .4 where this started as I have not been tracking a lot this summer. When I get some time I will dig deeper to see but basically my setup has not changed much in the last year and it used to run really well. This is happening with out plugins also or using Overbridge.

I suspect it is like in High Sierra I had to run for a time a CPU loader as the OS built in energy manager was causing the issue. Another time it was Little Snitch Network Monitoring. So all these things could be areas to start trouble shooting on.

Also this is why I am considering building my Hackintosh and just sticking with a stable OS version and rarely doing updates.
Updated Little Snitch and these glitches seem to have greatly reduced. I will give it some more testing this weekend to see how well it handles multiple channel captures at once to be certain though.
Old 4th August 2019
Can anyone with an Emagic Unitor 8 or AMT8 confirm either will work under Mojave. I'm not upgrading this High Sierra machine until I know for sure.
Old 4th August 2019
Gear Maniac

I tried a few times to use Mojave with Pro Tools 2019 versions, but too many glitches. Back to High Sierra, PT runs perfectly...
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Updated Little Snitch and these glitches seem to have greatly reduced. I will give it some more testing this weekend to see how well it handles multiple channel captures at once to be certain though.
I take it back. After working a bit longer the glitches still randomly pop up. Laptop is going in to shop anyways with the battery recall so I will look deeper when it is back. Super annoying though with only hitting a 20% CPU load.
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Guru

there seems to be alot going on in the background with Mojave .. i get alot of Compatibility Notices when opening programs .. the 32/64 bit notices .. that my programs will need an update or something ..

and the internet - i get kicked off after just a few minutes ... sometimes right in the middle of doing something like replying here .. very annoying .. restart is the only way to solve it .. i am thinking hard about going back to HS .. not easy though .. i have made a few changes since going Mojave - going back might be Starting Clean with new install of HS .. not against it, just need the time to do it ..

cheers john
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Isn't the most likely explanation that some Mojave updates includes newer fixes for security vulnerabilities like the previous "Meltdown" and "Spectre"? These were addressed already in macOS "High Sierra" 10.13.2, but something like that could be worth looking into, maybe just to rule out. As these do affect the core operation of vast majority of modern CPUs, including also AMD and Apple since more than a decade, securing the processor in OS updates to mitigate the issues typically would mean lowering its efficiency.

See here in Additional mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs for Mojave specific info.

Last edited by Mikael B; 7th August 2019 at 10:43 AM..
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i am thinking hard about going back to HS .. not easy though .. i have made a few changes since going Mojave - going back might be Starting Clean with new install of HS .. not against it, just need the time to do it ..
It's well worth it to use the free version of Superduper and make a few fully bootable external disks before you make system updates (also incremental ones). At least one will keep your feet dry.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
It's well worth it to use the free version of Superduper and make a few fully bootable external disks before you make system updates (also incremental ones). At least one will keep your feet dry.
oh, i use carbon copy cloner for that purpose .. i have full backups of Sierra and Mojave .. my only issues are the NEW files that i have .. just needto sit down and deal with this .. thx for the note though !!

cheers john
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

No problems here on my MacBook Pro with UAD Apollo
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Having trouble with "Omnisphere 2" (2.6 - fully updated) just purchased ( I like to own certain plug-ins for the long term)

On Mojave 10.14.5
Running in Ableton 10

When I open the plugin on Abletons instrument track I get a message that says:

"The STEAM folder does not have write permission.
Change permissions on STEAM folder, and all STEAM
subfolders, to include Write access."

Almost immediately after another window pops up and says:

"STEAM folder is not writeable"

Meanwhile, Omnisphere will then open afterwards and "Appear" normal , BUT as you try to click and load in sounds another pop up window occurs that says:

"Cannot load SoundSource "Fingerstyle Harmonics"
from directory "Core Library". File "Fingerstyle
Harmonics.zmap may be missing or corrupted. Try
Refreshing the sound source browser"

As you can imagine this is quite frusterating !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search