The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MacOS 10.14 "Mojave": share your experiences here
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
To do this in Logic I record enable the midi tracks I want the controller to trigger. Then midi gets sent to those tracks. You only need to arm the them; recording is optional.
Funny I ran into this problem myself just after that initial post haha. Got a BeatStep Pro to use with Logic and dammit, now Logic's default way of working is pissing me off! Ive had to learn to use the record enable method now to use the BeatStep's sequencers with it.

While doing this I was playing in the Environment and you CAN technically hardwire your controllers to a particular synth if you just want that controller to ONLY play that MIDI device. You won't need to select tracks or anything, the controller will always trigger that device. I did this at first with my BeatStep but then realized I left out ever using audio instruments this way since I was wired directly to the ports on my AMT8 (you would have to dedicate and hardwire instrument channel strips as well).
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

I’m still using High Sierra on MBPR 2013 and wondering if I should stay put or install Mojave? TIA
Old 9th April 2019
Mojave Clean Install?

I have a Mid-2012 MBP still running Mavericks. I've finally stopped procrastinating and will be upgrading the computer with a 1TB SDD. Am I better off just doing a clean install of Mojave or should I Time Machine my current installation and upgrade from there?

I'm leaning towards the clean install because my old 500GB HD limited me from installing certain instrument plugins and sample libraries, whereas the new set up can allow me to install more, and I'm not really wedded to my old configuration.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
I have a Mid-2012 MBP still running Mavericks. I've finally stopped procrastinating and will be upgrading the computer with a 1TB SDD. Am I better off just doing a clean install of Mojave or should I Time Machine my current installation and upgrade from there?

I'm leaning towards the clean install because my old 500GB HD limited me from installing certain instrument plugins and sample libraries, whereas the new set up can allow me to install more, and I'm not really wedded to my old configuration.
I’ve updated my non music MBPR to Mojave and left my DAW MBPR on High Sierra. After upgrading to Mojave I could no longer use Time machine backups, so I had to make a totally new backup. Sounds like a clean install would be the best choice, but Is Mojave better than High Sierra for audio? That’s what I’d like to know.
Old 9th April 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

No audio issues here under Mojave.

A clean install is always the preferred option. I'm not sure why this is still being discussed.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear
A clean install is what I would suggest too.
I’ve gone through a steady upgrade process on my Macbook, from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, and my Macbook ended up feeling like an overburden Pentium4 PC, panicking just at the thought that I will power it on. From a super fast, responsive machine to an embarrassment of a computer where even previewing a wav file in Finder takes over 30seconds!
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut

Totally zero issues here with Mojave 10.14.4, on macbook pro retina 2015.
I work with Reaper, Cubase Pro 10, Protools and Logic Pro, all latest versions.
Audio Interface: Apollo Twin, thunderbolt version.
For me, Mojave feels very snappy, i love it.
For the first time, i didn't even do a complete clean install of Mojave, just the update from OSX 10.13.
The update went flawless, took about 35 minutes.

Sidenote: I could use more cpu resources for my Projects (especially in Cubase Pro 10, a great DAW but quite heavy on CPU by default, not that CPU economic so to say and in my opinion never been on mac).
I am lurking to a Z390 I9900K Hackintosh with lots of RAM, M2 system drive and SSD's for sample content and Projects.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
For the first time, i didn't even do a complete clean install of Mojave, just the update from OSX 10.13.

Sidenote: I could use more cpu resources for my Projects (especially in Cubase Pro 10, a great DAW but quite heavy on CPU by default, not that CPU economic so to say and in my opinion never been on mac).
I am lurking to a Z390 I9900K Hackintosh with lots of RAM, M2 system drive and SSD's for sample content and Projects.
Good t9 know. In Windows there are apps available to disable core parking, etc. Not sure if anything similar is available for Macs, or whether it would be wise to tinker with the O.S. anyway.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ambler View Post
Good t9 know. In Windows there are apps available to disable core parking, etc. Not sure if anything similar is available for Macs, or whether it would be a benefit, anyway.
AFAIK, for mac there aren't.
Only a free app (comes also in a paid Pro version), in which you can disable Turboboost:

Turbo Boost Switcher for OSX / macOS
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
AFAIK, for mac there aren't.
Only a free app (comes also in a paid Pro version), in which you can disable Turboboost:

Turbo Boost Switcher for OSX / macOS
Thanks, I’ll check it out.
Old 26th April 2019
jah
Here for the gear

I would not upgrade if I was you. My experience has NOT been good.

I understand many people here seem to be reporting no problems but I can only speak to my (fairly significant, 6 month) experience.

I jumped on straight away, early adopter (I am a big nerd). Straight away things started running REALLY sluggish, Old projects which held a much higher track count on High Sierra started to punk out (in both Ableton and Logic Pro X) and then there was the lack of support from certain software (NI Maschine being the big one for me) which meant it also ran like **** (CPU would top out after like one bank of samples).

In general was a painful experience and then **** just started getting REALLY slow when recording and working on projects which had been fine before the upgrade. Again, I would like to add, I am very technical (worked for an ISP in the past) and tweaked my (fairly recentish) 2015 MacBook Pro endlessly to try and fix the very noticible sluggishness after upgrading to Mojave.

In terms of general bugs, I would have issues with the OS reading external HDDs and a bunch of other general OS fails.

I gave it a proper go, a good 6 months, holding out thinking NI would patch Maschine support soon and Apple in general would fix all of the other OS bugs in time (I understand the danger of adopting early) but in the end I formatted my machine last week and re-setup on High Sierra and INSTANTLY I can feel the speed difference. Pro Audio Apps by in large seem to be running reliably and smoother again.

I'm not touching Mojave anymore.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post

I understand many people here seem to be reporting no problems but I can only speak to my (fairly significant, 6 month) experience.

I jumped on straight away, early adopter (I am a big nerd). Straight away things started running REALLY sluggish, Old projects which held a much higher track count on High Sierra started to punk out (in both Ableton and Logic Pro X) and then there was the lack of support from certain software (NI Maschine being the big one for me) which meant it also ran like **** (CPU would top out after like one bank of samples).

In general was a painful experience and then **** just started getting REALLY slow when recording and working on projects which had been fine before the upgrade. Again, I would like to add, I am very technical (worked for an ISP in the past) and tweaked my (fairly recentish) 2015 MacBook Pro endlessly to try and fix the very noticible sluggishness after upgrading to Mojave.

In terms of general bugs, I would have issues with the OS reading external HDDs and a bunch of other general OS fails.

I gave it a proper go, a good 6 months, holding out thinking NI would patch Maschine support soon and Apple in general would fix all of the other OS bugs in time (I understand the danger of adopting early) but in the end I formatted my machine last week and re-setup on High Sierra and INSTANTLY I can feel the speed difference. Pro Audio Apps by in large seem to be running reliably and smoother again.

The all the new Mac Minis have Mojave installed and since the recent O.S. update, and they appear to be fine. Perhaps there's a compatibility problem with older Macs, and I still keep seeing that there are issues with Mojave and the new 2018 MBPRs.

Just glad my old 2012 MBPR is still on High Sierra, but the worry is when the software I use has updates that are no longer compatible with High Sierra.

Apple will probably sort this out, eventually, but for people that bought Macs to avoid the problems that can occur with Windows Pcs, this is very disappointing.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post

Strange, totally different experience here, also with a 2015 MBP. I’d say everything run smoother and I had two system-related “problems” prior to updating that have been solved. One was my external display taking ages to be taken into account once the laptop had booted and the other was ejecting hard drives on the desktop taking also ages to disappear from the desktop once ejected.

Do you have any system-wide plugins(often appearing on the Menu bar) that could create problems. I’ve always steared clear of most of these as they often create problems. The only one I have is Mountain and I try to resist installing all those programs that tries to help everyday use of macOS. In my experience they often create more problems. Well, that’s my story...

KA
Old 29th April 2019
We're running 2 iMacs (10.14.4) with Wavelab Pro 9.5 and Izotope RX7 Advanced without a problem. The permissions between Wavelab and the OS are kinda funky, but once those are straightened out, it all works perfectly. (just approve all settings on the install).
Old 2nd May 2019
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:

How is Pro Tools working? I have the same Macbook pro, am tempted to go to Mojave but still not sure
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Hi !

I have zero problems with Protools (latest version) on Mojave 10.14.4.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

My Audio interface would not record in Logic Pro X... Why? After hours of confusion about this. See below - need to go to Security and Privacy in system preferences - check 'Microphone' - (Apple dropped the ball with this confusing requirement) see attachment:
Attached Thumbnails
MacOS 10.14 "Mojave": share your experiences here-turning-microphone-recording-osx-mojave-2019.jpg  
Old 7th May 2019
Manufacturer

Yes, for any UA users that might be reading this, there are several Apple things to be aware of:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...atibility-Info
Old 9th May 2019
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Mojave-10-14/

Official Mojave support for ProTools 2019.5 announced.

2019.5 you say!?
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm only a hobbyist so my experience may be different. I only write music for stress relief from work so I basically have 4-5 tracks going, if that. But for me on a 2017 15 inch Mojave has been flawless.

I must admit though I'm tempted to roll back to High Sierra toileting see if I could somehow get more performance out of it (I mainly do graphic design and photography) but so far Mojave hasn't let me down at all.
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
I'm only a hobbyist so my experience may be different. I only write music for stress relief from work so I basically have 4-5 tracks going, if that. But for me on a 2017 15 inch Mojave has been flawless.

I must admit though I'm tempted to roll back to High Sierra toileting see if I could somehow get more performance out of it (I mainly do graphic design and photography) but so far Mojave hasn't let me down at all.
No need to do that, since Mojave is basically a refined, more processor-efficient version of High Sierra anyway.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

I installed Mojave along with the new PT 2019, and I'm getting massive crashes from Mojave. I started even during the 1st Mojave security update !
PT is fairly fine but these crashes are really annoying !
Thoughts on a solution ?
Old 14th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
I installed Mojave along with the new PT 2019, and I'm getting massive crashes from Mojave. I started even during the 1st Mojave security update !
PT is fairly fine but these crashes are really annoying !
Thoughts on a solution ?
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me...

your "massive" crashes are "...from Mojave"? what do you mean?

does your whole computer crash? do other programs crash or run properly?

what does "PT is fairly fine but..." mean?

what kind of computer do you have? are you sure it is Mojave compatible?

Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me...

your "massive" crashes are "...from Mojave"? what do you mean?

does your whole computer crash? do other programs crash or run properly?

what does "PT is fairly fine but..." mean?

what kind of computer do you have? are you sure it is Mojave compatible?

What's with the attitude and the facepalm pal. Did my post insult you in some way ?

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 14th May 2019 at 10:55 PM..
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

In case somebody's willing to help...
Quote:
"massive" crashes are "...from Mojave"? what do you mean? Computer has shut down during a security update, and has shuts down about 3 times a day since I installed Mojave last Saturday

does your whole computer crash? do other programs crash or run properly? I only use PT, mio console and firefox. Mio works flawlessly, I've had a computer crash changing tabs in firefo, and a few I can't remember what I was doing but PT was closed.

what does "PT is fairly fine but..." mean? Couple of computer crashes after trashing the prefs, and a couple more doing I don't know what.
Minor bugs = playback not totally following automation for a couple seconds, and other minor stuff like that.

what kind of computer do you have? are you sure it is Mojave compatible? Mac Pro 2013 6 core, with 16go of ram
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
In case somebody's willing to help...
I would perform a clean install. Should solve all issues. I rarely upgrade from a previous OS. It’s always a pain, but worth in the long run...
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
I would perform a clean install. Should solve all issues. I rarely upgrade from a previous OS. It’s always a pain, but worth in the long run...
I'm trying to avoid doing that because it's so time consuming and unpleasant work! But yeah, your probably right.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid doing that because it's so time consuming and unpleasant work! But yeah, your probably right.
Before doing clean reinstall, try booting in safe mode, see if it resolved your issues afterwards. Also download Onyx for 10.14 and run some checks, perform maintenance tasks. If that does not help after reboot, perform SMC reset / zap NVRAM – it might help.

Consider doing some system tests, maybe your RAM or other hardware is faulty.

Check your login items, user and system LaunchAgents — some of them are services needed by other software, which you no longer need or which is behaving badly. Disabling them might help, but be careful.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
Before doing clean reinstall, try booting in safe mode, see if it resolved your issues afterwards. Also download Onyx for 10.14 and run some checks, perform maintenance tasks. If that does not help after reboot, perform SMC reset / zap NVRAM – it might help.

Check your login items, user and system LaunchAgents — one of them could be making things go funny.
Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated !
Old 15th May 2019
Quote:
What's with the attitude and the facepalm pal. Did my post insult you in some way ?
Not insulted, but frankly you didn’t give enough information to help you help yourself...

I have a 2013 MacPro 6 core with 32 gig of ram and the latest PT and Mojave run flawlessly. As do numerous other programs on the same machine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search