The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi-sampling in 2018 - What's an efficient way to create quality Rompler patches?
Old 16th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Multi-sampling in 2018 - What's an efficient way to create quality Rompler patches?

I got to thinking about getting rid of some old synths that I might use for only a couple of patches, or I might want to have some layered sounds from multiple sources to one keyboard patch. I started to look into it and realized this is repetitiveness and tedious.

I ran into Sample Robot on a google search, and thought I better ask the experienced to expound before I step into the mud....again.

Last edited by Deleted 86c3d96; 16th September 2018 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

If you’re on a Mac: Apple Mainstage can do multisampling pretty well too (they bought redmatica autosampler).
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Head

It depends on what equipment you want to read your multisamples.

Mainstage is by far the cheapest way to achieve this, but you will only export EXS24 files, which is great os you have a mac based config.

For my perspective, I have a Kronos and needed SF2 files to import in my Kronos, and SampleRobot is the only one to be still alive and MAC compliant. It works fairly well, but you have to know it was PC Native and will need a emulator to run. But it runs. The looping features are fine and work automatically, but there are chances you will have to adjust a loop manually sometimes.

The interface is to small (PC emulation...) on my Mac, the stability is ok, and you will need to purchase the full version to have the Sample Editor, which is really compulsory when editing finely your sounds.

Samplerobot can export in many formats you need, this is where it makes the difference.

Yamaha has just released a SampleRobot version for its Montage. Knowing Yamaha, there is no doubt that they would never have released a bad software for their flagship. This is, in a way, a guarantee that SampleRobot does the job.

Last edited by coyote14; 16th September 2018 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: error
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

There’s also Samplit which is a native macOS app.
Old 17th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
If you’re on a Mac: Apple Mainstage can do multisampling pretty well too (they bought redmatica autosampler).
I have Macs and Mainstage (which I never use). I never even knew it did multisampling. I am in the process of migrating to PC and Cubase. I do R&D work where work provides me with equipment. I have a new i9 16 core machine coming in a couple weeks which goes home with me to do work related music production activities. The samples need to be consumed by a Kronos and an upcoming Montage purchase.
Old 19th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Interesting

I take it from the lack of interest or answers to this question is that doing your own multi-samples is not very common.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I take it from the lack of interest or answers to this question is that doing your own multi-samples is not very common.
I offered a suggestion. Did you bother to look it up? I’ve used that app in the past to do exactly what you want to do.

TBH - it’s not that common for people to want to clone patches from their HW. Most people use samplers to playback existing libraries or actually create their own sounds from scratch. The latter (unfortunately) being done less and less from what I can see.
Old 20th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
I offered a suggestion. Did you bother to look it up? I’ve used that app in the past to do exactly what you want to do.

TBH - it’s not that common for people to want to clone patches from their HW. Most people use samplers to playback existing libraries or actually create their own sounds from scratch. The latter (unfortunately) being done less and less from what I can see.
I appreciate your input. I just assumed this was a more common tool set. I may buy Samplit. I am kind of moving away from the Mac. Too expensive for too little power and options. I can't justify work buying Macs for my use case. I have a new i9 16 core dev box being delivered on Octobor 5th. There is no Mac going to give me that, and I can't Hackintosh a business asset. It's serious enough that I am moving to Cubase, which I just bought a license yesterday.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search