The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam US144mkII, Windows audio and Presonus Studio One 4. Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Tascam US144mkII, Windows audio and Presonus Studio One 4.

Good evening everyone. I seem to be having an issue with my set up. Up until about an hour ago, everything on my system worked (relatively) flawlessly. Then I noticed that my sound was weirdly pitch shifted (seriously, it was weird) and I rebooted. Then - boom. My issue presented itself.

For starters, here is my setup:

PC - Windows 10
DAW software - Presonus Studio One 4
VSTs - Positive Grid BIAS / Superior Drummer 3 / EZMix 2
Interface - Tascam US144 Mkii.

I basically use my Tascam as my soundcard 100% of the time. Ive gone so far as to disable the internal soundcard in my computer to avoid any issues like this.

Before, I was able to be in Studio One and record whatever I needed, while at the same time windows audio (music, computer sounds, etc) all worked fine. Essentially sometimes Ill use say, youtube to practice against a song while using Studio one as my amp, or my drums.

After this weird pitch shifting thing (voices sounded deeper, and so on) I rebooted and now when I open Studio One, I can hear a tiny crackle in my speakers, and then my windows audio no longer works. I can close Studio one, and lo and behold, my windows audio works once again.

After some noodling, I noticed that if I was listening to something on youtube, or an mp3 or something like that, and then I opened Studio One - the change would happen, audibly. My sound will just be about 10% slower. Its like dropping my tuning on my guitar by a half step. Its freakin' weird.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, or if there's a setting I can select? This was seriously working like an hour ago, and I didnt notice the weird shifted sound until a few hours ago.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
The Tascam drivers may not be Multiclient and struggling to use both ASIO and WDM. Or maybe Studio 1 may be struggling with that. Another thing is Youtube is I think playing at 48hz and maybe your set to a different sample rate in Studio 1?

Last edited by Alndln; 5 days ago at 09:51 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I suppose that could be the issue, but I just dont understand why it was working fine, and then decided to do this weird pitch thing, and then fail. I used to have an older MAudio Fasttrack, but sadly it doesnt work with Win10.

I hate windows 10.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecks View Post

I hate windows 10.
I don't disagree. I still use Win 7 for DAW but have Win 10 on my internet laptop and so far it seems like nothing but updates and resets and sudden incompatibilities.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Is there a share drivers option in Studio 1?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You need to select Release Audio Driver in the background in StudioOne in the preference
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
You need to select Release Audio Driver in the background in StudioOne in the preference
I saw that, and it seems to have allowed the windows audio to work, but it was very choppy, and then would make the sound do that pitch shifting thing.

I can even export a track from Studio one, and listen to both at the same time - and one is like its tuned down a half step and slower.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1. What is the sample rate setting on your Tascam compared to your internal soundcard?
2. Are you using the Tascam for S1 and system playback (Youtube etc)?
3. What is your buffer setting on the Tascam?

Sounds like a Tascam driver issue
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
1. What is the sample rate setting on your Tascam compared to your internal soundcard?
2. Are you using the Tascam for S1 and system playback (Youtube etc)?
3. What is your buffer setting on the Tascam?

Sounds like a Tascam driver issue

1. I'm not certain. I admit Im an amateur when it comes to bit rates and whatever.

2. Yes, that is the ultimate goal. It was working until about an hour before I posted the original message :(

3. Ive attached some images here, maybe it will answer your questions. Sorry Im a little uninformed when it comes to these things.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam US144mkII, Windows audio and Presonus Studio One 4.-s13.png   Tascam US144mkII, Windows audio and Presonus Studio One 4.-s13_settings.png   Tascam US144mkII, Windows audio and Presonus Studio One 4.-tascam_settings.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
What is your default audio device in Windows? The built in Audio device or the Tascam?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
What is your default audio device in Windows? The built in Audio device or the Tascam?
I had set the tascam as the default, even going as far as disabling the internal windows audio device.

I've decided to abandon the Tascam. It was causing too many issues. I just got home with a Focus Rite 2i4 and after installing it - I'm working 100%.

It's too bad. I liked the Tascam, but it was just so problematic. Maybe in a computer with absolutely no other audio device it would work just fine. I appreciate your help Alndln!

Last edited by indecks; 4 days ago at 03:28 AM.. Reason: spelling derps
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search