The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
43' monitor for production set up
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

43' monitor for production set up

Hi,

I am looking for a new monitor, specifically 43' large. I have narrowed it down to the new Philips 43' Momentum and HP's Z43. I was wondering if anyone here had the chance to try both? I am a bit paranoid about both using BGR subpixel arrangement instead of RGB as I've read Mac's OS doesn't play well with such technology. I wonder if it would be a big deal since i'd be sitting at least a meter away from the monitor?

I can get the Philips for about $180 less then the HP which makes me lean towards it a bit more.

Glad if someone could share their experience with these monitors or others in this size.

S.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I often will write in bed using my 43 Samsung. It’s convenient for my use, but I don’t personally think it would be good as a maim productivity monitor. I’m a little farther away from it, so I have the resolution set lower to see the details more clearly, this sacrificing screen real estate. But having it up close and setting the resolution higher might be a bit jarring as far as the physical size of the screen. Personally I think an ultra wide monitor would be a better invensement at least as far as productivity goes. It might work if you have a little bit of space between you and the 43 inch monitor.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Well, i have the LG 34UC98 ultrawide monitor and altho it does help with productivity I always find my self wishing for it’s screen to be a bit taller. I have the monitor behind my speakers therefor it’s quite far and often too set the resolution slightly lower. I think a 40’ monitor would probably be ideal for my needs (also given the amount of space between my speakers) but there doesn’t seem to be any newer models in that size where i live.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I am using a Dell 4317Q monitor with my Mac Pro. Works great!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
.... I am a bit paranoid about both using BGR subpixel arrangement instead of RGB as I've read Mac's OS doesn't play well with such technology. I wonder if it would be a big deal since i'd be sitting at least a meter away from the monitor?
Glad if someone could share their experience with these monitors or others in this size.
I don't have direct experience with either of those displays, but I can offer some theoretical foundation for investigating your concerns.

The BGR vs RGB issue that your raised is in part related to the font smoothing technologies provided within the operating system that were necessary with lower PPI (pixel per inch) count displays used at a working distance that allowed the user to potentially perceive individual pixels.

That working distance at which individual pixels become discernible is the 'retina' distance, casually popularized by Apple's Retina displays that have high PPI figures. Once your viewing of the display is at a distance greater than the 'retina' perimeter, then the advantages of font smoothing literally disappear.

There's a handy website [www.isthisretina.com] that allows you to easily calculate the 'retina distance' of various displays. The three factors in play are the diagonal size, the resolution (horiz-x-vert) and the viewing distance.

A 43-inch display used at 4k (3840x2160) is 102-PPI, and has a 'retina distance' of a 86cm. Therefore, when you're viewing it a meter away, you're outside of the retina perimeter, and individual pixels/font smoothing aspects are not bothersome. Your pet eagle might differ, but humans, especially aging humans won't have that problem.

As for me, an aging human, I could not use a 43-inch 4k screen at 1 meter distance because the fonts would be too small for me to manage. I currently use a 55-inch screen at 106cm viewing distance. That's right at my comfort level for most DAW products, but I generally have to magnify websites to comfortably read them.

HTH
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I had the LG 43UD79-B for a couple of weeks.
Couldn't get along with it. I found the top of the screen so far up I'd almost have to stand to see it, so in the end I settled for a 32" 1440p monitor from Benq.
Suits me much better. Ideally I'd have something slightly bigger, perhaps 35" or 36" but none were available when then (perhaps even now), other than ultrawides which are too expensive I think.

43" are good if you like to view 100 tracks at the same time I guess, but I'd much rather use 2 monitors side by side.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search