The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Orion 32 -> RME MADI Board? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Antelope Orion 32 -> RME MADI Board?

I just picked up an RME HDSPe MADI card to use with my Orion 32 via PCIe instead of USB. The MADI card arrived today, and I'm getting ready to install the card in my 2010 Mac Pro. The card also came with an RME expansion board that would potentially take up a second PCIe slot- looks like it gives me the option to send/receive a word clock signal.

With no other digital outboard gear to worry about, just the Antelope, would there be much benefit to using this expansion board? The whole concept of word clock is tough for me to wrap my head around, to be honest. I'd love to avoid using the expansion board, but figured I'd ask the group what's best.

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtlnts View Post
I just picked up an RME HDSPe MADI card to use with my Orion 32 via PCIe instead of USB. The MADI card arrived today, and I'm getting ready to install the card in my 2010 Mac Pro. The card also came with an RME expansion board that would potentially take up a second PCIe slot- looks like it gives me the option to send/receive a word clock signal.

With no other digital outboard gear to worry about, just the Antelope, would there be much benefit to using this expansion board? The whole concept of word clock is tough for me to wrap my head around, to be honest. I'd love to avoid using the expansion board, but figured I'd ask the group what's best.

Thanks!
I picked an Orion 32 and RME madi card last month, you'll lock the RME to the Antelope clock via Madi so IMHO no you do not need the word clock daughter card.
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks, Will! Awesome.
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I've ran this exact setup for almost 6 years completely trouble free. Once you wrap your head around the TotalMix way of routing, you'll never go back to anything else. Besides the 32 inputs, I have a Studio Out, Control Room out, a 5.1 output for TV mixes, and 8 channels to feed a Hear headphone system, as well as 8/16 out for summing/patching outboard, all at once. Oh, and you can get cheap as in money, great quality MADI cables on Amazon. Just search for OM2 Multimode Duplex Fiber Optical Cable (50/125) - SC to SC - Orange in the length you need. Fiber is fiber.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have the same setup (actually with 2 Orion32's) and was wondering about clocking.

My studio is packed up now since i'm building a new one but just before I packed it up I tried the difference between having the RME as a master clock and the Orion32.

I would've sworn I liked the sound of the Orion32 being the master clock a little better. For lack of better words I thought the RME as a master sounded a little colder/lowerlows&higherhighs vs the Orion32. Switching with my eyes closed was not an option so at any time I knew what was the master so this is a biased opinion off course.

Clocking 2x Orion32 would be easiest when the RME is the master off course but if there should be any difference in sound then that is a priority over convenience.

What are you guys opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Herwig

BTW: my system is a LOT more stable with the RME/Orion32 combo then with the Orion32 via USB.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm looking at purchasing a package of 1 Orion32 and 1 HDSP PCI (not PCIe) for a Mac Pro mid 2010 5,1. I'm running High Sierra BTW but I'll reload older OS if needed so that's a small hurdle to get over. Using Reaper DAW.

It looks like the RME HDSP PCI card handles 96kHz sample rate, but the Orion32 does 192kHz.

It's my belief/intention that I'm buying the Orion32 for its converters. Does it then "pass-through" the audio via MADI to the RME card and I can record at 192? Or do I need to set the Orion32 to 96 because the RME is limited to 96?

I don't think I want to use the RME converters, do I? I mean, I want the Orion32 for its converters and sample rate but I realize it's buggy with USB so I'm getting the MADI for stability.

I don't have hands on experience with this chain and I'm a bit worried about how this works before I lay down so much money.

I've been searching around and this thread looks like the most recent and related kind of info. It looks like all posters here are working with this system. I hope I'm building on this thread and not hijacking. That's certainly not my intent.

Thanks for any info you can sling my way!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLindy View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a package of 1 Orion32 and 1 HDSP PCI (not PCIe) for a Mac Pro mid 2010 5,1. I'm running High Sierra BTW but I'll reload older OS if needed so that's a small hurdle to get over. Using Reaper DAW.

It looks like the RME HDSP PCI card handles 96kHz sample rate, but the Orion32 does 192kHz.

It's my belief/intention that I'm buying the Orion32 for its converters. Does it then "pass-through" the audio via MADI to the RME card and I can record at 192? Or do I need to set the Orion32 to 96 because the RME is limited to 96?

I don't think I want to use the RME converters, do I? I mean, I want the Orion32 for its converters and sample rate but I realize it's buggy with USB so I'm getting the MADI for stability.

I don't have hands on experience with this chain and I'm a bit worried about how this works before I lay down so much money.

I've been searching around and this thread looks like the most recent and related kind of info. It looks like all posters here are working with this system. I hope I'm building on this thread and not hijacking. That's certainly not my intent.

Thanks for any info you can sling my way!
I would start off with the Orion first and see if it works for you. I had problems on my PC using 32 channels (worked fine with 24) but I added a USB card (PCIe) for cheap and it worked perfectly. What computer are you using? EDIT: NM, seen you posted you’re on MAC.
Can’t comment on the RME as I’ve never used it.

If you’re interested in buying used, I’ve been thinking about selling mine and downgrading to a smaller setup as I don’t need 32 channels anymore. PM me as it would be much cheaper than buying new.

Last edited by shatz; 6 days ago at 08:39 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

I want the Orion32 for its converters ... but I realize it's buggy with USB so I'm getting the MADI...
I think your plan is a very good one, using the Orion32 only for AD/DA conversion, using the RME HDSP MADI card and RME drivers for the computer digital audio interface, and using the MADI bus for interconnecting the two. You get excellent support and reliability from RME, you get excellent reliability on the MADI bus, and you get good AD/DA conversion from the Orion32.

MADI (aka AES10) bus can carry up to and including:
64 digital audio channels at 44.1 kHz sample rate
64 ch at 48 kHz
32 ch at 96 kHz
16 ch at 192 kHz
...all 24 bit PCM digital audio.

On 75 Ohm BNC terminated coaxial cable or on fiber (50/125 µm or 62.5/125 µm multi-mode fiber, aka MM fiber) the interconnection is one direction. One end connects to the send/output port, and the other endconnects to a receive/input port. A pair of cables can be used to provide both directions for interconnecting two components on the one MADI bus, or multiple components can be connected in a ring installation to share the bus.

Some few proprietary MADI interconnections use catetegory 5e cable and RJ45 connectors, same cable and connector hardware as Gigabit Ethernet, but the signals are not compatible with any Ethernet network. These cat.5e MADI interconnections provide two directions, send and receive on one cable.

Here is a link to the RME driver download area for HDSP/PDSPe cards.
RME: HDSP/HDSPe Driver Download Webpage
Read the info there to figure out what you need to use. I don't have any Apple Mac computer product, though am considering a multiboot on my next build that might include Hackintosh, just out of curiosity.

You can get more help at the RME Forum at the following link.
RME: User Community and Support Forum

Some links with MADI related information:
RME: MADI Setups Examples
RME: MADI Theory and Practice
RME: MADI Fiber Info
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

My Mac Pro doesn't have any old-school PCI ports, so this is moot.

Thank you to those who replied and PM'ed me. I have gained a much better understanding of how I can use the Orion32 with a MADI card. Most importantly, I learned that the pair I was considering could not possibly have worked. Thank you for saving me a lot of money and aggravation.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Mac Pro doesn't have any old-school PCI ports, so this is moot.

Thank you to those who replied and PM'ed me. I have gained a much better understanding of how I can use the Orion32 with a MADI card. Most importantly, I learned that the pair I was considering could not possibly have worked. Thank you for saving me a lot of money and aggravation.
Some of the newer RME interfaces are USB3 with Madi, the cost is higher but maybe another possible direction for you.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Some of the newer RME interfaces are USB3 with Madi, the cost is higher but maybe another possible direction for you.
There is also the RME MADIface USB selling for a little under $1k, and that connects the MADI interface via USB2. Its been around for years and works well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search