The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Orion 32 -> RME MADI Board? Audio Interfaces
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Antelope Orion 32 -> RME MADI Board?

I just picked up an RME HDSPe MADI card to use with my Orion 32 via PCIe instead of USB. The MADI card arrived today, and I'm getting ready to install the card in my 2010 Mac Pro. The card also came with an RME expansion board that would potentially take up a second PCIe slot- looks like it gives me the option to send/receive a word clock signal.

With no other digital outboard gear to worry about, just the Antelope, would there be much benefit to using this expansion board? The whole concept of word clock is tough for me to wrap my head around, to be honest. I'd love to avoid using the expansion board, but figured I'd ask the group what's best.

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtlnts View Post
I just picked up an RME HDSPe MADI card to use with my Orion 32 via PCIe instead of USB. The MADI card arrived today, and I'm getting ready to install the card in my 2010 Mac Pro. The card also came with an RME expansion board that would potentially take up a second PCIe slot- looks like it gives me the option to send/receive a word clock signal.

With no other digital outboard gear to worry about, just the Antelope, would there be much benefit to using this expansion board? The whole concept of word clock is tough for me to wrap my head around, to be honest. I'd love to avoid using the expansion board, but figured I'd ask the group what's best.

Thanks!
I picked an Orion 32 and RME madi card last month, you'll lock the RME to the Antelope clock via Madi so IMHO no you do not need the word clock daughter card.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, Will! Awesome.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I've ran this exact setup for almost 6 years completely trouble free. Once you wrap your head around the TotalMix way of routing, you'll never go back to anything else. Besides the 32 inputs, I have a Studio Out, Control Room out, a 5.1 output for TV mixes, and 8 channels to feed a Hear headphone system, as well as 8/16 out for summing/patching outboard, all at once. Oh, and you can get cheap as in money, great quality MADI cables on Amazon. Just search for OM2 Multimode Duplex Fiber Optical Cable (50/125) - SC to SC - Orange in the length you need. Fiber is fiber.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I have the same setup (actually with 2 Orion32's) and was wondering about clocking.

My studio is packed up now since i'm building a new one but just before I packed it up I tried the difference between having the RME as a master clock and the Orion32.

I would've sworn I liked the sound of the Orion32 being the master clock a little better. For lack of better words I thought the RME as a master sounded a little colder/lowerlows&higherhighs vs the Orion32. Switching with my eyes closed was not an option so at any time I knew what was the master so this is a biased opinion off course.

Clocking 2x Orion32 would be easiest when the RME is the master off course but if there should be any difference in sound then that is a priority over convenience.

What are you guys opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Herwig

BTW: my system is a LOT more stable with the RME/Orion32 combo then with the Orion32 via USB.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search