The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can't update Windows 10? Dynamics Plugins
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Can't update Windows 10?

Apologizes if the same question is addressed somewhere into the monster Windows 10 thread, but looks like I need some guidance here.

To make it short, Windows 10 won't update from ver 1603 to ver 1807 which -amongst others- fixes the memory management bug identified by Vincent Burrel (WIN10 Memory management Stress Test - VB-Audio's Forums)

Exact symptoms are that I can download the new version just fine, go through the installation process and several reboots, and after what seems to be the last step, I ALWAYS get the same message saying Windows reverts back to the previous version!

I've attempted the update from 3 different methods without success:

- From the default Windows update page
- Using the specific Windows update utility (blue icon, with regular nags in the taskbar)
- Using Windows Installation media (Download Windows 10)

Of course I tried the Windows update repair utility, which led me to nowhere.

Yes I could start again with a fresh Windows install (which would very probably fix the issue) but this is exactly what I'd like to avoid : reinstalling all my settings, drivers, plugs, authorizations... Well you get the idea!

Any ideas, suggestions are very welcome, thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequenza View Post
I can download the new version just fine
From where?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
From where?
From the 3 different methods described just above
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I see. I know there were some earlier builds like the free ones that couldn't be updated but this is strange. The problem is most likely bios related.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately it doesn't seem BIOS related: I used the offending Windows drive on another PC to see if I could do the update from there, but no luck.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Athough one should expect a cumulative update to work fine, that's definitely something to try, thank you for the suggestion. Now I have to find a genuine 1703 (or 1709) installer from a trusted source. I'll do that and report. Thanks
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm pleased to confirm the update went fine thanks to the 2 steps approach proposed by DrAudiospecific. Thanks again!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search