The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend era Mac Pro, which OSX? which card? for Apogee Symphony MkI DAW Software
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Recommend era Mac Pro, which OSX? which card? for Apogee Symphony MkI

I happen to be shopping for a 'vintage' pcie mac pro computer at the moment to use with my new Symphony i/o (MKI)

Is there an era I should shoot for? I don't care about tons of plugins and a bunch of programs. And upgrading OS all the time. Just wanna run reaper and maybe a UA card. I'm thinking 8 core mac pro, (anywhere from $200 to $400 hopefully)

Still haven't decided between a used Symphony 64 and a Lynx AES16e (as I have the AES ins/outs on the Symphony i/o) These cards used can be had for around $350, either one. RME is too expensive.

Which would be better for 'hardware' monitoring? They both are capable I understand? (That is, the ability with Maestro or Lynx software to route inputs to the outputs for next to nothing latency. (Which is a more simple program to have to be opening all the time to switch these monitoring capabilities.)

And which OS would be the most stable?

I don't care that it's a locked system. I just want it to work. I know people don't like Maestro that much, but then I have questions about the "syncrolock" feature in the Lynx card. Is it "on" when I'm clocking to external BNC (Symphony out)?

Hmmmm. I'm moving from a Radar system here, so I'm looking for a system that once setup, will behave and be relatively simple to grasp. And Reaper is the DAW I'm most familiar with.

Sort of leaning toward the Symphony 64, as the cable will be cheaper and I don't have to worry about a clock source.
Old 15th September 2018
Gear Nut

Get a 2010or 2012 Mac Pro. They’re inexpensive now, easy to load with more ram and ssd’s and will run forever problem free. Use whatever OS you want and you’ll be in good shape.
Old 15th September 2018
Gear Addict
I use a symphony MKI with a 2010 mac pro. As long as you don't need thunderbolt they work great. I upgraded my 8 core to a 12 core for less than £70 by buying some 2 6core CPUs from eBay. So try and get one with dual CPU slots. You can add USB 3 in the form of a PCIe card if you needed it those ports.

For the symphony I ran it via usb for a long time and it was fine. I upgraded to the Apogee PCIe 64 after a year or so because I bought the extra 16 output module and you need to use the PCIe card if you have more than one module.

OS I'm on Sierra. I upgraded from El Capitan a few days ago, I'd avoid High Sierra with Pro Tools from what I've read.

Maestro works great for monitoring. I haven't had any experience with the lynx.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search