The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your opinion about Zebra 2 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th September 2018
Here for the gear
Your opinion about Zebra 2

What do you think of this Vst?

He looks very powerful and sounds sound quite advanced and evolved apparently.

A very particular grain.

On the other hand the grip does not look simple.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

I use it for years, sold all HW synths because Zebra can do more and better.
It is definitely a workhorse when it comes to semi-modular, its oscillators and filters are great, waveshaping possibilities are great...damn, everything is great. It can do everything from basic electronic stuff like basses and arps to complex evermorphing ambient landscapes and realistic physical modelling stuff.

But it is hard to start from with Zebra if you don't have Lot of experience in synths programming. If you're fine with patching, say, Virus or Korg Z1 then you're fine with Zebra. If you're only have experience with basic stuff like "classic" analogue monosynths - Zebra is much more complicated. Yet, there are tons of good starting presets wich you can tweak to your needs.
Old 14th September 2018
Here for the gear
Thank you for your reply.

So the impression of departure is the good one Vst with a lot of potential.

It is true that at the base I am rather a consumer of patches, but, even if I have very honestly programmed synths, Zebra 2 inspires to be tempted, even if it is very clear, not obvious given the immense possibilities apparent from this Vst.

U-he really make products of excellence and the support simply exceptional, attentive and very responsive.

To return to Zebra 2, it gives off a great inspiration and creativity.

Consulted on the net a few videos and tutorials and very impressive sound rendering.

But not easy to understand, especially when no experience in the field of programming.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
To return to Zebra 2, it gives off a great inspiration and creativity.
I agree, great synth, although it has some things to be watched out for like irritating spiky high freqs or very hard and unnatural attack when not programmed carefully.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Addict

It's also really good as an effect, I send guitars through it.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, Zebrify is a great FX unit for anything!
It has compression, filters, delays, reverb.. a very useful modular FX.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

It is true that at the base I am rather a consumer of patches.
Then you'll love the fact that there are plenty of 3rd party patches/Banks available for Zebra. In fact there is a user page listing so many free banks I stopped going there because it was eating too much of my time. I'm not much of a programmer myself but what's out there even on the free level I don't really have to. Zebra is still my go-to VI after all these years.

Last edited by Alndln; 15th September 2018 at 06:19 AM..
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Addict

Love it. Only thing it's missing is sampling abilities. Crossing my fingers they'll find their way into Zebra 3 (whenever that comes!)
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear
A big thank you for your answers.

In addition to being an excellent Vst, it can be used in addition to multi effects.

A Swiss Army Knife Zebra 2.

I suspect that the programming must be done with meticulousness and partimony, Zebra seems to leave rather quickly to saturated sounds, which I adore personally.

Cool also to have an inmmense banks of patches available (to buy or free ).

This VST seems to have no limits in view of the arsenal it makes available for creation.

I already have Hive and a Vst just excellent.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear
On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds.

I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds. I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

Windows

Presets (local) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Presets\Zebra2\

Presets (user) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\UserPresets\Zebra2\

Preferences ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\ (*.txt files)

Themes ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\Themes\ (skin folders)

Module presets ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Modules\

Microtuning ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Tunefiles\

To rigorously uninstall absolutely everything (including Zebralette / Zebrify), delete all the

above except the Mac Themes and Microtuning folders, which might be used elsewhere.

Important: If a realtime malware scanner such as Windows Defender is allowed to check

the Zebra2.data folder every time it is accessed, the new browser will become unusably

slow. In such cases, please add that folder to the exceptions list (we don't put executable

files in there). Mac owners running similar software should add all the above /u-he/Zebra2/

resource directories to the exceptions list.

My question is my next or should I install all this? Sorry me who is doing the installation of my machine and I am lost.

Same questioning for the banks of additional patches or do I have to put all these elements?

Installing the patches

Copy the "Transmission" folder from "Transmission Patches" to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Presets\Zebra2\

If you want to use the versions of the patches without reverb and delay effects, copy the "Transmission NoFX" folder instead.

Restart Zebra if it is running, and the Transmission folder and all sub-folders of patches and patch templates will now show up in your Zebra patch browser.

Installing the templates

The oscillator and MSEG templates go to a different place to be seen by Zebra. Go into the "Transmission Templates - MSEG Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them all to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\MSEG\

Then go into the "Transmission Templates - Oscillator Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\Oscillator\

Note: Don’t copy the whole oscillator or MSEG templates folder itself into these paths, as they won’t show up - Zebra will only see template files in the root of the template directories. You need to copy all the template files inside their folders into the template paths above.

Installing the skin

Quit Zebra if it is running, and copy the Images and Scripts folders to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Data\

This will overwrite the original gui, so we recommend you back up the original Images and Scripts folders before installing the Transmission skin.

Many thanks in advance for your help and explanations on the subject.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds.

I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds. I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

I think you needed to pay attention to the installer and direct things where you wanted instead of the default. I have my VST folder on a seperate drive and directed the installer to put everything in a folder in there except for the program files. I can place new banks in there or delete the patches I don't want. Works great. Pay attention the next time you install something.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear
Thank you for your answer.

It is not me who installed and configured the PC.

Here I have two SSD, everything is on the first, the second is for recording

the first SSD to my VST in the folder Fl Studio 12 plug ins and my sound banks are installed on this same SSD, but in the folder document.

I just wonder where I have to install the rest?

Since everything is already in my document folder, I presume that apart from the location of my Vst which is in the folder plug ins, the rest must be in the document folder?
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear
It's been a long time but since the VST and banks are installed the rest is probably Windows program files which default to Window program folder.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear
Thank you for your answer.

But precisely, all these files must have a specific location and may not be possible to move them elsewhere.

I mean by that, in my document folders where my sound banks are placed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search