The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
12 in thunderbolt interface
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

12 in thunderbolt interface

I would like to take some recommendations on an audio interface.

I own a machinedrum (6 mono out) , digitakt (1 stereo) and an Access Virus (3 stereo out)

I only really need 2 stereo from the Virus, 6 mono from the Machinedrum and the Digitakt so that would be 12 inputs.

I am not that fussed about output but I do own a Mackie 12vlz

I would like to record all of these instruments at the same time to save all the overdubs so I guess I need a sound card with 12 mono in.

Could anyone recommend one? I used Logic Pro X with a 21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5. I have the option of USB or Thunderbolt in.

I am hoping to get something for under £400.

Thank you
Old 11th September 2018
Under £400 possibly means USB connection - TB would generally cost more.

If you’re open to 2nd hand options you might be able to snag a bargain; new I’m not sure; maybe something from Focusrite or MoTU? You’d also probably be looking at a 16io interface, most would be 8 or 16 (give or take the odd digital input.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks I will start looking into those. I am guessing most USB stuff now will be USB C, I dont think my mac has that.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

Does anyone has experience of using a firewire to TB connection on these? I was looking at a MOTU 828 but was ensure since I cannot against that connector being great?
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

Bu the way, I am not interested in recording vocals or instruments at all.
Just synths.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg9961 View Post
Does anyone has experience of using a firewire to TB connection on these? I was looking at a MOTU 828 but was ensure since I cannot against that connector being great?
It is not possible to adapt from a FireWire port to a Thunderbolt device. You can go the other way around (Thunderbolt port on a computer to a FireWire device) with an adapter, but it's a one-way conversion. Thunderbolt is a very general protocol, essentially equivalent to an externalized PCIe.
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Addict

The MOTU 16A is perfect for you, except for the price. I got a used 1248 (sells new for the same as the 16A) for US$1000. I don't think there is anything under that with that much line level i/o. I looked for a while.
Old 12th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg9961 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
It is not possible to adapt from a FireWire port to a Thunderbolt device. You can go the other way around (Thunderbolt port on a computer to a FireWire device) with an adapter, but it's a one-way conversion. Thunderbolt is a very general protocol, essentially equivalent to an externalized PCIe.
Yes TB is just a wrapper for a bunch of protocols - although in this case I think he's asking about the right way round - in theory a FW interface should work just fine on a TB equipped Mac.

BUT I'd never suggest buying one as a first choice.

USB-C interfaces are rare - most seem to be USB2 still. Aren't most USB-C devices backwards compatible too? I know my USB-C drives are.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
Either way the only 12 input interface I could find was the USB 2 Roland Studio Capture and that's nearly double his price ceiling. There is also the Behringer FA1616 which is FW/USB 2 and under his price ceiling of £400 but is discontinued. You can find them used as well. The only other cheap option for that amount of inputs is a USB Mixer by the likes of Alesis-Tascam-Behringer etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search