The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The sound of RME
Old 9th September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844 
The sound of RME

I've had a lot of interfaces, on Mac I had a Symphony MK1 and a ULN-8 on PC probably too many to count.

Most of them sound relatively similar, some are brighter / some more rolled off (soft) like the Symphony / some are a little more detailed and some kinda neutral / transparent but it's a toss-up quite often.

I recently picked up a UFX+, whilst the specs (which of course mean little) are somewhat lacking compared to the latest and greatest, the amount of definition / clarity was interesting to say the least. To the point I was wondering if it's bass light or not?!

It doesn't sound like any interface I've had previously, because to a point the level of clarity almost seems exaggerated. My previous interface (MOTU 1248) in contrast sounds a little mushy although a little more natural / easier to listen to.

Not sure what to make of it, I'd be interested in other opinions..

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 9th September 2018 at 04:30 PM..
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I've had a lot of interfaces, on Mac I had a Symphony MK1 and a ULN-8 on PC probably too many to count.

Most of them sound relatively similar, some are brighter / some more rolled off (soft) like the Symphony / some are a little more detailed and some kinda neutral / transparent but it's a toss-up quite often.

I recently picked up a UFX+, whilst the specs (which of course mean little) are somewhat lacking compared to the latest and greatest, the amount of definition / clarity was interesting to say the least. To the point I was wondering if it's bass light or not?!

It doesn't sound like any interface I've had previously, because to a point the level of clarity almost seems exaggerated. My previous interface (MOTU 1248) in contrast sounds a little mushy although a little more natural / easier to listen to.

All i can say it s clean and used to record symphonic stuff a lot ...no gimmic ..that s why i stay rme for the studio ...
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

I have a UCX and can compare it to MAudio Firewire410, Echo Audiofire4, Sparrow red mkii ADC and a Burl B2 DAC.

Comparing to FW410 is silly. It's night and day a better sound in every category

Compared to AF4, the DAC is similar. The Echo unit sounds a little brighter. AF4's DAC was night and day better than FW410, but same ballpark as UCX. The UCX's ADC is much better and cleaner. The UCX's preamps don't overload nearly as easily as the AF4 with the same mic.

Compared to the SParrow red, i'd give a 10% advantage to the Sparrow, bc it sounds good when you push it into distortion, and the UCX obviously does not (which is probably a good thing, b/c you should really want clean recordings lol). If I'm recording each at the same level, I don't believe I'd be able to pick out the difference consistently, at least not with these ears. Perhaps someone else could.

Compared to the Burl B2... not a fair contest. The Burl B2 is a clear winner at every level... BUT... that's not to say the UCX DAC doesn't sound good. It's just the Burl turns a 2D drawing into 3D... and a 3D movie into 4D (let's say it's a 3D movie with smell added to the theatre experience.)

So... if the UFX++ is a step up from the UCX in sound, you should be very confident with the sound of your unit... b/c I absolutely do NOT need the Sparrow or Burl units to make great records... I just wanted to splurge. I'm happy I did... but it was not necessary if the budget isn't there.
Old 10th September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
I have a UCX and can compare it to MAudio Firewire410, Echo Audiofire4, Sparrow red mkii ADC and a Burl B2 DAC.

Comparing to FW410 is silly. It's night and day a better sound in every category

Compared to AF4, the DAC is similar. The Echo unit sounds a little brighter. AF4's DAC was night and day better than FW410, but same ballpark as UCX. The UCX's ADC is much better and cleaner. The UCX's preamps don't overload nearly as easily as the AF4 with the same mic.

Compared to the SParrow red, i'd give a 10% advantage to the Sparrow, bc it sounds good when you push it into distortion, and the UCX obviously does not (which is probably a good thing, b/c you should really want clean recordings lol). If I'm recording each at the same level, I don't believe I'd be able to pick out the difference consistently, at least not with these ears. Perhaps someone else could.

Compared to the Burl B2... not a fair contest. The Burl B2 is a clear winner at every level... BUT... that's not to say the UCX DAC doesn't sound good. It's just the Burl turns a 2D drawing into 3D... and a 3D movie into 4D (let's say it's a 3D movie with smell added to the theatre experience.)

So... if the UFX++ is a step up from the UCX in sound, you should be very confident with the sound of your unit... b/c I absolutely do NOT need the Sparrow or Burl units to make great records... I just wanted to splurge. I'm happy I did... but it was not necessary if the budget isn't there.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.. TBH I'm on the verge of sending it back (although prefer not to because I think totalmix is awesome), I was just recording some mic samples and it sounded rather hard up in the mid frequencies unlike the MOTU.. The MD-441 isn't exactly known for being a "pitchy" excessively bright mic..

I tried the in-built pre-amps, also plugged in a Neve as a comparison.. The meters peaked at -19dB on average around -30dB so far from "hot"..

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, there's many settings and I'd rather make this one work so let me know.

I've also found the headphone amps pretty weak, I have a pair of ATH-70X's and it struggles to drive them.. The cheap AKG's I use for tracking are fine though..

Finally the stereo image is a fair amount smaller than the MOTU.. Reason I purchased an RME interface is for driver stability and latency but I'm not sure about it at the moment..

I'll do more testing / twiddle more buttons.

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 10th September 2018 at 03:52 AM..
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Definitely, any audio interface has a "sound", even if it is very subtle. Physics, you cannot eliminate all errors/distortions, and how do you reducing them defines the arthefacts, the "sound".

IMO, RME has its strange "clear, but not clean" signature in its lower priced (compared to Micstasy) range of converters. And i prefer it to many other just because i can live with it, if it sounds good on RME it will sound good almost anywhere. Not so much with UA or MOTU interfaces, IME.

Last edited by zvukofor; 10th September 2018 at 05:59 AM..
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

My Babyface pro sounds identical to the $100 interface I used to use. The difference is in the stability and the latency, which justified the purchase 100%.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

I’d love to see some actual science behind the observation that rme’s narrowing your stereo image, etc

Comparing any of the pro/line Rme stuff to prosumer grade interfaces isn’t even fair... the support and stability of rme in itself is reason to keep it
Old 10th September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’d love to see some actual science behind the observation that rme’s narrowing your stereo image, etc

Comparing any of the pro/line Rme stuff to prosumer grade interfaces isn’t even fair... the support and stability of rme in itself is reason to keep it
You're going to have to define "science", I'm not spending ages running 50 page breakdowns / spectral analysis tests, then stripping the things down deciding whether or not their sigma delta / clocking / analogue implementation etc. etc. etc. is up to scratch..

I'm not sold of Diffmaker, so whatever on that one..

Since when has the new(ish) flagship line of MOTU interfaces been "prosumer"? They're better specc'd out than any RME interface bar the ADI-2..

Sure, I don't take much stock in specifications because without relative context they might not mean all that much.. Still, saying the better specc'd interface is prosumer without any facts almost sounds like snobbery..

You've got me on stability though..! I might go RME Raydat, then I can hook up whatever interface I feel like with decent drivers / stability..

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 10th September 2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
My Babyface pro sounds identical to the $100 interface I used to use. The difference is in the stability and the latency, which justified the purchase 100%.
Is that based on measurements or just your perception?
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Is that based on measurements or just your perception?
I'm at a hobbyist level so measurements mean little me personally. I a/b'ed many interfaces in a few different ways and simply could not hear a meaningful difference as far as sonic quality.

Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000

^
Threads like this have made me a big skeptic of the perceived cost to quality ratio, I just buy what I think is best for my needs based on what I can afford now.

Even if there is a 1%-2% difference between certain levels of gear, I think only certain people would be able to squeeze out that 2% in a way that is meaningful, or were seriously lacking something in their last set up. The majority of people upgrading from a $100 interface to a sub $1000 interface I think are not in a position to need to stress about the sonic difference between the two. That is only my opinion for whatever it's worth!
Old 10th September 2018
Quote:
I'm at a hobbyist level so measurements mean little me personally. I a/b'ed many interfaces in a few different ways and simply could not hear a meaningful difference as far as sonic quality.

Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000

^
Threads like this have made me a big skeptic of the perceived cost to quality ratio, I just buy what I think is best for my needs based on what I can afford now.

Even if there is a 1%-2% difference between certain levels of gear, I think only certain people would be able to squeeze out that 2% in a way that is meaningful, or were seriously lacking something in their last set up. The majority of people upgrading from a $100 interface to a sub $1000 interface I think are not in a position to need to stress about the sonic difference between the two. That is only my opinion for whatever it's worth!
I share that view too - just wanted to be sure on where you're coming from.

I've measured a few interfaces and DACs from $99 to $800-ish, just out of pure curiosity and without getting super paranoid about the methods and all, and the differences I've found were small and incremental at best. Lower THD and noise, subtle deviations in the frequency response - as you said, it's in the 1-2% ballpark on most cases.

I think that on the DA side things are much more complex to evaluate since the DA by itself means very little, with monitors and room acoustics playing a much bigger factor on the overall assessement i.e. upgrading from a UR22 or Scarlett 2i2 to a Lynx Aurora or Antelope whatever won't have the same impact as getting better monitors or installing bass traps and acoustic panels - in fact rearranging panels in a room would have a much more dramatic effect.

With that said, I do "feel" like the DA on my BMC-2 sounds better than my Babyface Pro, and the DA on the Babyface Pro sounds better than the DA on my UR22, which sounds better than my Macbook's headphone jack. But I'm also not saying that I'd pass on a blind ABX test!

On the AD side it's a different ballgame altogether since there's the "tone" - wether if you want a "tone" or not and so things will get quite subjective as we move towards the artistic side of the fence. Even then, if we stick to "cold" measurements the differences won't be huge either, and it's incredible what $100 gets you these days...
Old 11th September 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
... I think totalmix is awesome ...
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
... I was just recording some mic samples and it sounded rather hard up in the mid frequencies unlike the MOTU ...
That is the "RME sound", which a lot of people appear to mistake for clarity.

RME interfaces are incredibly stable, I have two. However, if you're also after great conversion, you might want to consider standalone converters.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Love my RME. Very stable. I'd spend more but I can't so I don't worry about it. I just enjoy making music and never having to worry about my interface.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.. TBH I'm on the verge of sending it back (although prefer not to because I think totalmix is awesome), I was just recording some mic samples and it sounded rather hard up in the mid frequencies unlike the MOTU.. The MD-441 isn't exactly known for being a "pitchy" excessively bright mic..

I tried the in-built pre-amps, also plugged in a Neve as a comparison.. The meters peaked at -19dB on average around -30dB so far from "hot"..

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, there's many settings and I'd rather make this one work so let me know.

I've also found the headphone amps pretty weak, I have a pair of ATH-70X's and it struggles to drive them.. The cheap AKG's I use for tracking are fine though..

Finally the stereo image is a fair amount smaller than the MOTU.. Reason I purchased an RME interface is for driver stability and latency but I'm not sure about it at the moment..

I'll do more testing / twiddle more buttons.
How much I/O do you need? Are you truly going to fill up the UFX+'s channels? If so, I think you should keep it for the driver stability, and purchase a few preamp options later.

If you're not going to come close to filing up the I/O, my recommendation would be to downgrade to another RME offering (they have tons of options as I'm sure you're aware). Use the savings to grab a nice outboard preamp with some color, that way you have the stable drivers, 4 clean very useable preamps, and then something with some real spunk and flavor.

I have a Tonebeast12, it's a great compliment to the UCX. I hate recommending what I have lol... but, I did a lootttt of research before pulling the trigger and it's truly a great option at this price range with a wide feature set. You can really dial in a lot, just with the gain/output controls.

And I'm with you on the RayDat thoughts. If i'm blessed to afford to build a full fledged studio, I will absolutely be running a series of RayDats with my converters of choice. Probably a bunch of BLA modded Rosettas lol... I got one modded recently and it sounds damn good. I'm shocked to say it extended the low end. And I have files to back it up lol. I have a spare unmodded Rosetta 800 so I could A/B ... eventually I'll mod that too.... when I'm ready for the full fledged studio
Old 11th September 2018
Deleted 46dc28f 
I realize it's youtube sound quality, but starting at 1:16, I prefer the bass frequencies of the RME.

Old 11th September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844 
Quote:
How much I/O do you need? Are you truly going to fill up the UFX+'s channels? If so, I think you should keep it for the driver stability, and purchase a few preamp options later.

If you're not going to come close to filing up the I/O, my recommendation would be to downgrade to another RME offering (they have tons of options as I'm sure you're aware). Use the savings to grab a nice outboard preamp with some color, that way you have the stable drivers, 4 clean very useable preamps, and then something with some real spunk and flavor.

I have a Tonebeast12, it's a great compliment to the UCX. I hate recommending what I have lol... but, I did a lootttt of research before pulling the trigger and it's truly a great option at this price range with a wide feature set. You can really dial in a lot, just with the gain/output controls.

And I'm with you on the RayDat thoughts. If i'm blessed to afford to build a full fledged studio, I will absolutely be running a series of RayDats with my converters of choice. Probably a bunch of BLA modded Rosettas lol... I got one modded recently and it sounds damn good. I'm shocked to say it extended the low end. And I have files to back it up lol. I have a spare unmodded Rosetta 800 so I could A/B ... eventually I'll mod that too.... when I'm ready for the full fledged studio
I have two Neve Shelford channels, 1X Lexicon PCM 92, 1X Eventide 2016, 1X Drawmer 1978, 1X Manley Nu-Mu and 2X UA LA-2A's, 1X Stam SA-2A, 2X UA 1176..

In lunchbox format, 2X API 512C's, 2X API 527's, 2X API 550B's..

Then I have two pairs of monitors to hook up, Trident HG3's and Dynaudio LYD48's..

Whilst a lot of them are chained, I need more than one interface gives.. Which was the major reason I went with MOTU (AVB).

I might as well say it, yes I am OCD about this and no I don't care (just learned to live with it) :P.. Totalmix made it easy to route outboard just like a console. Hence whilst some might be a little adversed to me speaking a little ill of RME, the only person suffering out of this is me..

I really wanted the UFX to work out, too late I've sent it back now.! Almost tempted to spend a metric ton on a new Macbook, so many headaches removed. Raydat etc. is still very much an option though.!

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 11th September 2018 at 04:40 AM..
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
I share that view too - just wanted to be sure on where you're coming from.

I've measured a few interfaces and DACs from $99 to $800-ish, just out of pure curiosity and without getting super paranoid about the methods and all, and the differences I've found were small and incremental at best. Lower THD and noise, subtle deviations in the frequency response - as you said, it's in the 1-2% ballpark on most cases.

I think that on the DA side things are much more complex to evaluate since the DA by itself means very little, with monitors and room acoustics playing a much bigger factor on the overall assessement i.e. upgrading from a UR22 or Scarlett 2i2 to a Lynx Aurora or Antelope whatever won't have the same impact as getting better monitors or installing bass traps and acoustic panels - in fact rearranging panels in a room would have a much more dramatic effect.

With that said, I do "feel" like the DA on my BMC-2 sounds better than my Babyface Pro, and the DA on the Babyface Pro sounds better than the DA on my UR22, which sounds better than my Macbook's headphone jack. But I'm also not saying that I'd pass on a blind ABX test!

On the AD side it's a different ballgame altogether since there's the "tone" - wether if you want a "tone" or not and so things will get quite subjective as we move towards the artistic side of the fence. Even then, if we stick to "cold" measurements the differences won't be huge either, and it's incredible what $100 gets you these days...
Yes I agree with you! I also should have specified that I was referring almost entirely to the AD side. DA definitely becomes much more complex because of all the other factors that come in to play, and my monitoring environments have been modest at best. I just get concerned for people who are just starting out or are working on getting better, in that they might stress themselves out or get off track trying to get the best possible gear they can get, thinking their music will suffer without it. (not saying that op is someone who is starting out btw.)
I think for people who are spending thousands on gear, it warrants more of the stress of deciding which piece of gear is best to drop several grand on, simply because you of course want to justify a purchase like that.

This is also coming from someone who mostly composes with virtual instruments, and other times vocals and guitar direct through the interface.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sound of RME
I've been using an RME UCX for about a year. I like it. I haven't had a time (with A-D or D-A) when it caused a problem with the sound. It hits me as being pretty neutral.
Old 11th September 2018
Quote:
Yes I agree with you! I also should have specified that I was referring almost entirely to the AD side. DA definitely becomes much more complex because of all the other factors that come in to play, and my monitoring environments have been modest at best. I just get concerned for people who are just starting out or are working on getting better, in that they might stress themselves out or get off track trying to get the best possible gear they can get, thinking their music will suffer without it. (not saying that op is someone who is starting out btw.)
I think for people who are spending thousands on gear, it warrants more of the stress of deciding which piece of gear is best to drop several grand on, simply because you of course want to justify a purchase like that.

This is also coming from someone who mostly composes with virtual instruments, and other times vocals and guitar direct through the interface.
Precisely!

FWIW, I'm mostly recording synths and vocals, currently I use a BFP + ADA8200 combo. Preamps on the BFP are very good for vocals, clean sounding with plenty of gain, and the line inputs on the ADA8200 are adequate for what I do. What I like to have a better converter to replace the infamous Behringer? Hell yeah, would love something like an Audient ASP800, but I can't justify that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Love my RME. Very stable. I'd spend more but I can't so I don't worry about it. I just enjoy making music and never having to worry about my interface.
Yep, that's my experience too. "Set and forget". I also love TotalMix, it's really handy and I wouldn't get an interface that doesn't offer similar functionality.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Stability and totalmix keeps rme here forever I think... I never use the preamps (too deep into outboard)
Old 11th September 2018
I use original UFX with Mytek DA and Audient AD, very happy with the results. To me Totalmix + RME ARC USB is what keeps me with it
Old 11th September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844 
Quote:

I don't want to get too deep into this, I've done it on several occasions writing pages of in depth technical information on converter design arguing a point..

End of the day, if you're happy with what you have then awesome.. I'm glad.! I'm never here to convince anyone otherwise, just share my experiences..

Although, there are so many things to mess up / devise in terms of "technical" artistry to subjectively "improve" the sound of something and / or "make it better", if you've tested 50+ converters of various designs (not always for "pro audio") it becomes more apparent..

Everything from cap's / op-amps / power supplies / chipset integrations (plus filters) / drivers etc. etc. etc. can have a positive or negative effect.. No converter is "perfect", although I can't deny today quality vs. price is a merging factor.

I'd say today though the biggest factors today are filters, drivers / software and clocking as for the rest? For the most part anything over Ampex's defined => 118dB DNR / SNR for subjective noise free listening is more than good enough..

I have an anecdote, a great and very talented guy who converses on another forum created his own converter.. The spec's were fantastic, we're talking sub 200 femto clock accuracy and the best analogue front end you can stick into a small channel sigma..

The thing was flat within 0.1 from 10hz to 50Khz+, some interfaces "roll" off towards upper end frequencies giving things a "warmer" sound.. Because he chose to do his converter as flat as possible people (how do I put it?) weren't impressed..

He modified the filters and things were golden..

Sure, I know for a fact there's a dividing line in quality, people can't hear the difference between 0.0063% harmonic distortion and 0.00052% HD.. Most chipsets are far more than adequate, the layout / choice of active components within the analogue realm is generally the weak point in matching specifications but even then we're at silly levels today..

Talking about spec's, just like car engine testing done in a lab for MPG even if they are telling the truth they're generally best case scenario's without junction loss..

Point? For sure there can be differences and yes a lot of the time we are talking small margins (not just with converters)..

Still if there's one thing I've learnt over 20 years of technical engineering...! we can explain everything besides why somebody hates brussel sprouts.. You like, what you like and that's it..
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Do a simple test: record the same source with two different interfaces and make a null test between both files.

The tools we use to measure all those specs in converters are way more precise and with a much greater range than human hearing, any differences are way beyond us.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Do a simple test: record the same source with two different interfaces and make a null test between both files.

The tools we use to measure all those specs in converters are way more precise and with a much greater range than human hearing, any differences are way beyond us.
Do most converters null?

I recall recording my DA back into my AD with the UCX, comparing the original file with the recorded file, and they nulled.

I wasn't sure if this was normal or not though, and when I asked.. nobody answered lol. This was about 5 years ago.
Old 13th September 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:

I recall recording my DA back into my AD with the UCX, comparing the original file with the recorded file, and they nulled.
What kind of audio file did you use, regular music, sine wave or something else?
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do most converters null?

I wasn't sure if this was normal or not though, and when I asked.. nobody answered lol. This was about 5 years ago.
I don't mean that they would null, but it would be interesting to see the difference between any given two.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Nut

I haven't noticed any difference in my RME and other converters 'sound'.

Would be nice to have measurements or 16bit+ examples of what is happening to the sound.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Impossible...
Maybe it was just a digital loop back ?
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

I've heard dozen of mixes recorded with RME and I could connect them, they had something similar - light bass/air presence, everything sounded loud somehow but lacking of power and density.
Old 5th October 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

I think it's aliasing...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search