The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The sound of RME
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I've had a lot of interfaces, on Mac I had a Symphony MK1 and a ULN-8 on PC probably too many to count.

Most of them sound relatively similar, some are brighter / some more rolled off (soft) like the Symphony / some are a little more detailed and some kinda neutral / transparent but it's a toss-up quite often.

I recently picked up a UFX+, whilst the specs (which of course mean little) are somewhat lacking compared to the latest and greatest, the amount of definition / clarity was interesting to say the least. To the point I was wondering if it's bass light or not?!

It doesn't sound like any interface I've had previously, because to a point the level of clarity almost seems exaggerated. My previous interface (MOTU 1248) in contrast sounds a little mushy although a little more natural / easier to listen to.

Not sure what to make of it, I'd be interested in other opinions..
Maybe participate in this thread and see if your numbers show anything fwiw. I don't see a UFX+ listed in those results. Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I have the Fireface UFX the original one. (Not the II) This is really a nice and easy sound comparison side by side.
YouTube
I saw this months ago, and it caused me to hesitate trying out the MOTU 828es. I previously had the RME UFXOriginal.

Well, last week I finally picked up an 828es, and I can contradict just about every negative thing that's in that youtube comparison. I can't do his magic trick of causing all buttons to move by moving one button. He said there is a delay when using the browser to adjust the 828es mixing etc., for me anything I do in the browser is instantly reflected on the hardware. It's possible that MOTU has improved the 828es in some ways since the youtube comparison, or it's possible the reviewer had a defective unit.

I haven't done a thorough test yet, but I'm comparing the sound of the 828es with my RME ADI-2 Pro, which according to RME is higher quality DA than the UFXPlus, and I'm finding very little qualitative difference between the sound of the 828es and the ADI-2 Pro.

The one thing I miss is RME TotalMixFX. I prefer TotalMixFX to the equivalent MOTU software, I wish the ADI-2 Pro had it.

So far, the MOTU Win 10 drivers have been every bit as stable as the RME windows drivers that I've used for almost 20 years. This was another thing that I was needlessly worried about.

For me, the MOTU 828es combined with the RME ADI-2 Pro gives me the feature set and flexibility that I have been looking for. If you need the UFXPlus record-to-USB-stick capability, then it would be worth the extra cost. I don't need that particular feature, the 828es provides features that I do need, such as the monitor controller for two sets of speakers, and at less than half the price of the UFX2 or the UFXPlus.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I see lots of reference to UFX++. What is the difference between UFX++ and UFX+? I can't find a ++ at any retailer?
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysjo View Post
I see lots of reference to UFX++. What is the difference between UFX++ and UFX+? I can't find a ++ at any retailer?
Yeah, Gearslutz has had this problem for a long time, maybe a couple of years. Whenever U-F-X is mentioned, a + is automatically placed after it. So if a U-F-X-+ is mentioned, then it has 2 +'s after it. Wierd.
Old 8th November 2018
Deleted 2915a84 
Write UFXplus.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2915a84 View Post
Write UFXplus.
That's what I've been doing, as I did in the post 3 back of this one. But most people don't realize that this is a problem when they post, so it's hard to know if they're talking about the UFXOriginal or the UFXPlus. Besides which, it shouldn't be necessary, they've had years to fix this problem.
Old 10th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
Yeah, Gearslutz has had this problem for a long time, maybe a couple of years. Whenever U-F-X is mentioned, a + is automatically placed after it. So if a U-F-X-+ is mentioned, then it has 2 +'s after it. Wierd.
Funny. Mystery solved. Thanks
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

I love my RME ADI2 Pro for very 3D transparent and detailed sound. It's just unbelievable how can it sound good. I've tested it A/B with my other DACs Lynx HILO, UAD Apollo 8 mk2, Lavry DA11, Mytek 192DSD. Lynx HILO is sweet sounded DAC with very natural sound but less detailed and there is no such holographic 3D sound at all. Lavry DA11 has more dynamic coloured sound but very muddy. Apollo 8 mk2 has very good detailed 3D sound Mytek 192DSD just ordinary good DAC with no surprises.
There is no chip op amplifiers on RME. It has DAC AKM AK4490EQ, ADC AKM AK5574, Sample Rate Converter with PLL AKM AK4127VF, headphone's amps are with 3 pairs of OP1688 and other audio chain made with TI 1602A.

Last edited by bloodykot; 17th November 2018 at 08:38 PM..
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac

In terms of RME DA I recently Went from an Audient ID14 with very good DAC for the money to an RME Fireface UC for the enhanced input capability and better drivers.

Did a back to back when I had them both as I like that sort of thing. Audient had slightly wider soundstage and more open on the top end. RME had tighter low end and slighter lesser sound stage. Detail on both was on par.

It was subtle, and if I left a week in between demo'ing both I doubt I'd be able to pick it out in a blind test.

Treated room, Neumann monitors.

Last edited by Coxys; 1st February 2019 at 02:52 PM..
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Aha! I was wondering what RME device you were using.. Ok then so I guess ADI-2 Pro would measure much better, or I hope so?

Do you know if the opamp in the Babyface Pro and ADI-2 Pro is better then the old Babyface?

I have both the Babyface Pro and the ADI-2 Pro, and I must say they sound very similar, and very good here. (Both much better then my older converters) Its a fully treated and tuned studio with high-end monitors and great cables.
Thank you for saving me 1000€ ,cause I also have the BFP and was thinking of adding the ADI 2 DAC fs for mastering DAC,but as you mentioned already that BFP and ADI 2 PRO sound similiar,there 's no need to spend that money on this,so better buy some other gear instead.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savana Violenta View Post
Thank you for saving me 1000€ ,cause I also have the BFP and was thinking of adding the ADI 2 DAC fs for mastering DAC,but as you mentioned already that BFP and ADI 2 PRO sound similiar,there 's no need to spend that money on this,so better buy some other gear instead.
Good call.

The BFP is a right up there in the top range of converters.

At this level comparing it with other things will net you different shades of greatness. It all comes down to semantics and personal taste.
Old 16th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
I have two Neve Shelford channels, 1X Lexicon PCM 92, 1X Eventide 2016, 1X Drawmer 1978, 1X Manley Nu-Mu and 2X UA LA-2A's, 1X Stam SA-2A, 2X UA 1176..
!
I'd be really curious to hear some shootouts of these! Especially the UA-2a vs. Stam and the 1176 vs. one side of the 1978. :-). PM me if you have any!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
My Babyface pro sounds identical to the $100 interface I used to use. The difference is in the stability and the latency, which justified the purchase 100%.
No way a $100 audio interface to sound like RME BFP, forget it. Nonsense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search