The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm still getting dropouts and the same error HALS ioworkloop error message even after disabling AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. My battery indicator doesn't show up so I know I disabled it right. Any idea why that would be @ zenwolf ? thanks man
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
I'm still getting dropouts and the same error HALS ioworkloop error message even after disabling AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.
As I reported above, no issue with the same kext on Sierra. Which would indicate that the kext is not the singular root cause, the issue seems to be more complex than that.

Disabling a system level kext is another Truly Bad Idea...
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
I'm still getting dropouts and the same error HALS ioworkloop error message even after disabling AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext. My battery indicator doesn't show up so I know I disabled it right. Any idea why that would be @ zenwolf ? thanks man
I’m not sure what OS version or hardware you are running. Unless you are running identical setup our success rates will vary. I am on i9 32 GB MBP with latest High Sierra (both supplemental updates Apple released). Now I also did a clean install so that could be helping things too. If the battery driver disable didn’t solve it, then it could any combination of things. Extra software you’ve installed, your audio interface drivers, latency buffer settings (128 or less is really taxing against background processes). I’d just make sure you are minimizing what applications are running. There were other users reporting usb audio glitches while streaming from YouTube within Safari. If you don’t need WiFi on, turn it off for your session. Maybe try a different browser. If you are using your DAW software, then close other programs, don’t just minimize them. If you aren’t tracking something real-time then increase your daw buffer. If you are tracking then minimize cpu use of background tracks by freezing. As others have said, really understand what you are doing in disabling things at system level. These are not fixes, they are hacks, and as such, run risks of further corrupting your setup. It is nearly impossible from Apple documentation to see what dependencies everything has at that level.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwolf View Post
If you don’t need WiFi on, turn it off for your session.

You keep suggesting things like this.
Please kindly offer a technical explanation as to how disabling Wifi increases audio performance.

Can you show any reproducible real world before/after data that show the effect of disabling Wifi on audio drop outs? Or any kind of audio performance?
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
You keep suggesting things like this.
Please kindly offer a technical explanation as to how disabling Wifi increases audio performance.

Can you show any reproducible real world before/after data that show the effect of disabling Wifi on audio drop outs? Or any kind of audio performance?
Here ya go, knock yourself out and read and learn. Maybe you can uncover something to the contrary. My research showed me any SMBus event can potentially overload a low latency CoreAudio buffer.

Godfrey van der Linden Apple IOKit Architect WWDC
Interestingly at 29:35 he mentions that using the poll method is not recommended.

Notes from the presentation: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs9242/0..._Threading.pdf

Page 78 talked about WorkLoops within the IOKit framework:
WorkLoop Apple Dev Documentation

IOAudioEngine Documentation

One of several source code files for the battery manager showing poll() method and workloop.
AppleSmartBatteryManager.cpp

Interesting read on CoreAudio and different buses p26

AppleSmartBatteryManager uses this:
command gate: A mechanism that controls access to the lock of a work loop, thereby serializing access to the data involved in I/O requests. A command gate does not require a thread context switch to ensure single-threaded access. IOCommandGate event-source objects represent command gates in the I/O Kit.

IOKit single-thread stuff all goes into the same workloop:
workloop: A gating mechanism that ensures single-threaded access to the data structures and hardware registers used by a driver. Specifically, it is a mutex lock associated with a thread. A work loop typically has several event sources attached to it; they use the work loop to ensure a protected, gated context for processing events.

Last edited by zenwolf; 2nd October 2018 at 02:35 PM..
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could ask you the same?
Not this again.
Asking to prove a negative, asking to prove that something doesn't exist, is a 'fallacy in informal logic'. Burden of proof lies with the person who claims that something does exist, not the other way around.

Quote:
While testing my audio glitches I often found events just before the overload that were basically pinging the network in the background. Like FindMyMac, or iCloud events like Safari bookmarks backing up, etc.
This is something that's unique to your set up, that cannot be reproduced on other machines.

If you see a performance issue like that, the sensible thing to do is find the root cause, and try to get things to work, rather than use a temporary work around like switching off Wifi.

On a system that works correctly, with multitasking, memory management etc. working as they are supposed to, you will not see audio drop outs caused by web traffic.

Quote:
Do you really need it on while in Logic?
Yes. That's how you get a prompt when new content, like loops, becomes available.

Quote:
Seriously, what harm is it to just disconnect from WiFi while working?
Any online help stops working, any automatic search for updates (like plug-in updates) stops working, any copy protection that needs internet access stops working, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is advocating rational, systematic troubleshooting, rather than troubleshooting based on myths, assumptions, feelings.

If a difference in audio performance is observable after switching off Wifi, this is a clue to something being seriously wrong with the affected system, and it's a hint on where to start investigating.

If there is no observable difference in audio performance after switching off Wifi, doing it just because confuses the actually issue, and the narrowing down of the actual issue.

The mixup I see here is that you have a very specific issue, you're giving an excellent, detailed description of the symptoms, while, at the same time, you're giving horrible, counterproductive general advice that has verifiable negative impact on anyone's system (e.g. Logic > Spotlight), while offering zero advantages.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here ya go, knock yourself out and read and learn.

OK, you've edited your post after my response. WWDC from 15 years ago? Really?

My points of criticism were, again, not about your specific issue, polling etc., but about bad general advice that is, IMHO, completely unrelated to your issue (Spotlight, Wifi, crap software like Onyx,..).

You were in touch with Apple support. Did any of the support advisers recommend to turn off Spotlight indexing or Wifi as an effective workaround to address your specific issue?
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
Not this again.
Asking to prove a negative, asking to prove that something doesn't exist, is a 'fallacy in informal logic'. Burden of proof lies with the person who claims that something does exist, not the other way around.

This is something that's unique to your set up, that cannot be reproduced on other machines.

If you see a performance issue like that, the sensible thing to do is find the root cause, and try to get things to work, rather than use a temporary work around like switching off Wifi.

On a system that works correctly, with multitasking, memory management etc. working as they are supposed to, you will not see audio drop outs caused by web traffic.

Yes. That's how you get a prompt when new content, like loops, becomes available.

Any online help stops working, any automatic search for updates (like plug-in updates) stops working, any copy protection that needs internet access stops working, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is advocating rational, systematic troubleshooting, rather than troubleshooting based on myths, assumptions, feelings.

If a difference in audio performance is observable after switching off Wifi, this is a clue to something being seriously wrong with the affected system, and it's a hint on where to start investigating.

If there is no observable difference in audio performance after switching off Wifi, doing it just because confuses the actually issue, and the narrowing down of the actual issue.

The mixup I see here is that you have a very specific issue, you're giving an excellent, detailed description of the symptoms, while, at the same time, you're giving horrible, counterproductive general advice that has verifiable negative impact on anyone's system (e.g. Logic > Spotlight), while offering zero advantages.
See my edited post. I supplied my research. It was not just unverifiable advice. It was based on detailed reading of the IOKit documentation, source code files, and watching/reading the presentations and lecture notes from the original architect of IOKit. I am not providing the end all complete solution. I am testing and sharing results and working to eliminate variables by detailed diagnostic testing. I have never blindly shut something down without first verifying its affect. WiFi was an attempt to minimize background updates that coincided with CoreAudio buffer Overloads logged in the console. There is zero harm in attempting this. People work offline all the time in music production. You can go online for updates. I don't understand your argument.

And thanks for being a positive role model in this community and making me feel so welcome to share my experiences. Seriously, you could approach the conversation from a much more positive value add rather than a demeaning attitude. If anyone else would like further discussion on my research, PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

In my findings, the dropout always occurs in relation to the timed-process.
(Unregistered XPC Activity: com.apple.timed.ntp.wanted)
Everytime the timed-process pops up in the console a dropout happens.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Head

I've seen very similar things with the "timed" process. My total wild speculation is that the timed clock sync resets the internal clock and causes the usb stream to glitch because the timestamps for each packet suddenly don't quite match....
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m not sure what OS version or hardware you are running. Unless you are running identical setup our success rates will vary. I am on i9 32 GB MBP with latest High Sierra (both supplemental updates Apple released). Now I also did a clean install so that could be helping things too. If the battery driver disable didn’t solve it, then it could any combination of things. Extra software you’ve installed, your audio interface drivers, latency buffer settings (128 or less is really taxing against background processes). I’d just make sure you are minimizing what applications are running. There were other users reporting usb audio glitches while streaming from YouTube within Safari. If you don’t need WiFi on, turn it off for your session. Maybe try a different browser. If you are using your DAW software, then close other programs, don’t just minimize them. If you aren’t tracking something real-time then increase your daw buffer. If you are tracking then minimize cpu use of background tracks by freezing. As others have said, really understand what you are doing in disabling things at system level. These are not fixes, they are hacks, and as such, run risks of further corrupting your setup. It is nearly impossible from Apple documentation to see what dependencies everything has at that level.
I have a base model 2018 15" MacBook Pro (2.2ghz i7, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD). Running 128 samples in Ableton on built-in speaker or headphones. I've tried latest High Sierra and Mojave installs with same results. Nothing running in background. I was just under the impression that disabling the AppleSmartBattery kext would stop the issue if your theory is correct that that's what is truly causing the dropout. So it must be something else related to IOWorkLoop?
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I’m looking for other MacBook Pro users to verify a CoreAudio overload bug that occurs in both High Sierra 10.13.6 and the latest Mojave Beta 10.14. I’ve tested a new MBP 2018 with the i9 cpu, 32GB ram, 1TB HDD, and a late 2013 MBP & 2011 MBP. All running High Sierra.

The issue involves a background kernel process called the AppleSmartBatteryManager. On my systems, it runs a diagnostic poll of the battery status every 60 seconds. Regardless of being plugged into the AC adapter. This event creates a CPU spike that can overload your CoreAudio and cause a dropout/glitch sound. Typically because most pro audio applications are putting your active track on the same core as the background kernel processes.

I’ve started a bug report through Apple developer for Mojave. But as with all things, the more eyes that get on this the more likely a fix.
We've just bought a 2018 MBP and are experiencing show-stopping glitches on 10.13.6 when recording and playing back audio through Reaper v5.95 using various RME interfaces through genuine Apple USB adapters.

Even when recording one track in a project with no plugins, every 10-15 minutes or so the audio starts crackling and the programme needs restarting. On one take a continuous beep developed.

What are the chances of this being fixed in a Mojave update? I'm tempted to switch to Windows if it's been dragging on for months now.

Also, why is the same problem not affecting our 2010 MBP running the same OSX? I'm wondering if it's related to the USB-C chipsets used in 2016 Macs onwards?
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Eastwood View Post
We've just bought a 2018 MBP and are experiencing show-stopping glitches on 10.13.6 when recording and playing back audio through Reaper v5.95 using various RME interfaces through genuine Apple USB adapters.

I'd try a systematic approach to find out the root cause.

To isolate what's going on:
- does it occur in a different DAW, in other audio apps?
- does it occur with a different audio interface, and with internal audio?
- does it occur with a different connection to an external interface (TB, Firewire)?
- does it occur in a different user account?

If the answer is 'yes' to all of them, I'd install Mojave on an external test drive, see if the issue persists (assuming Mojave drivers are available for the audio interfaces in use...).

If any of the data on your current High Sierra install came from a different Mac via migration, I'd also remove and re-install all audio drivers.

And make sure that no apps that can interfere with USB traffic are in use, like firewalls that block outgoing connections (like Little Snitch), Antivirus software, etc.
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dven View Post
I've seen very similar things with the "timed" process. My total wild speculation is that the timed clock sync resets the internal clock and causes the usb stream to glitch because the timestamps for each packet suddenly don't quite match....
To me as a layman this sounds quite plausible.
I blocked internet access of the timed-process with an outbound firewall and the dropout doesn't happen anymore!
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by amok_san View Post
To me as a layman this sounds quite plausible.
I blocked internet access of the timed-process with an outbound firewall and the dropout doesn't happen anymore!
What did you use for the firewall rule?
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dven View Post
What did you use for the firewall rule?
I use LuLu:

Objective-See
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m looking for other MacBook Pro users to verify a CoreAudio overload bug that occurs in both High Sierra 10.13.6 and the latest Mojave Beta 10.14. I’ve tested a new MBP 2018 with the i9 cpu, 32GB ram, 1TB HDD, and a late 2013 MBP & 2011 MBP. All running High Sierra.

The issue involves a background kernel process called the AppleSmartBatteryManager. On my systems, it runs a diagnostic poll of the battery status every 60 seconds. Regardless of being plugged into the AC adapter. This event creates a CPU spike that can overload your CoreAudio and cause a dropout/glitch sound. Typically because most pro audio applications are putting your active track on the same core as the background kernel processes.

I’ve created a couple videos detailing my steps, this being the latest with Mojave, the other video link is in its YouTube description. There I also reproduce it within High Sierra: YouTube

Here are the steps if you don’t want to watch the video. I use Logic Pro to demonstrate it since its CPU meter isn’t averaged like in Ableton 10 or Cubase 9.5.3. It’s easier to see the cpu spike. I have tested Ableton and Cubase and can reproduce the overload events.

1. Open Logic
2. Create Instrument Track with Alchemy Bowed Metal Space patch (or some other cpu intensive plugin) I usually add in a default chromaverb fx to get the cpu on live play over 50%. I’ve also used Keyscape, Kontakt libraries, and uh-e synths with similar results.
3. Double click your Logic CPU meter to get floating window showing all cores.
3. Open your OSX Console App and search Battery and note the time the AppleSmartBatteryManager start poll event occurs.
4. Open your System Pref Time and Date leave that viewable to track time.
5. Start playing the Alchemy patch live as the active track and watch CPU meter as time approaches the AppleSmartBatteryManager poll start.
6. You should encounter a sizable cpu spike, and high potential for a audio drop out. Repeat a few more min cycles noting if you got a glitch audio dropout.
7. Return to the System Console and search those event times. You should see the AppleSmartBatteryManager poll start, then immediately restart, then some of its command checks, and if you had a dropout, a CoreAudio overload message(s). All occurring at the same second mark.

On my tested systems I get a CoreAudio overload event more than 90% of the time. And register a CPU spike every time. I’ve tested with the internal MBP sound, and RME Babyface Pro, and a Digigrid D Ethernet Audio Interface. Depending on project size this can occur at all CoreAudio buffer settings. My example above I had 128 selected. Changing the processing core setting in Logic has no effect. It always puts the active track the same as the kernel level processes.

I’ve started a bug report through Apple developer for Mojave. But as with all things, the more eyes that get on this the more likely a fix.
That's great you submitted a bug report but if you really want to move on with using Logic Pro X, do this.
Find a preset that doesn't use so much CPU but keep the Alchemy preset on another track.
When that other low eating CPU preset is selected, record with that and once you're done, move the MIDI region to your Alchemy preset.
Here's your high eating CPU preset.
MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug-bowedmetalspace.png

Here's a low eating CPU preset. you should record with.
MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug-expansion.png

And on playback, always select a instrument track that has NO INSTRUMENT loaded so you're CPU doesn't run high.
Attached Thumbnails
MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug-bowedmetalspace.png   MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug-expansion.png  
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware View Post
That's great you submitted a bug report but if you really want to move on with using Logic Pro X, do this.
Find a preset that doesn't use so much CPU but keep the Alchemy preset on another track.
When that other low eating CPU preset is selected, record with that and once you're done, move the MIDI region to your Alchemy preset.
Here's your high eating CPU preset.

Here's a low eating CPU preset. you should record with.

And on playback, always select a instrument track that has NO INSTRUMENT loaded so you're CPU doesn't run high.
well, that's interesting, anyway, it's really hilarious we have to deal with it even after buying a 4k$ mobile workstation and it's performing worse with newer os updates than before... it was perfect with me on sierra on 2016 15" mbp...
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8SlaiN8 View Post
well, that's interesting, anyway, it's really hilarious we have to deal with it even after buying a 4k$ mobile workstation and it's performing worse with newer os updates than before... it was perfect with me on sierra on 2016 15" mbp...
It's frustrating. I bought this thing without doing any research because I never had any kind of problem regarding audio production with Macbooks.

Anyway, when I turn wifi off it seems to be dropout-free.
Old 13th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hello everybody. I'm using MBP Mid 2015 2,8 GHz i7 with 16GB Ram DDR3 1600MHZ. I'm experiencing lot of CPU Spikes using Ableton as a DAW. With the spikes i get stuttering audio and glitches too. Even when i have 2-3 instances of plugins and 5-10 audio tracks. It doesn't look normal to me as before i upgrade to Sierra (the OS i am using at the moment) all my heavy projects were running smooth with no spikes and no stuttering audio. And of course i've tried all the sample rates.

I am using the UAD Apollo Twin MKII, a LACIE thunderbolt to run my samples and a Anker usb hub witch it uses it's own power. I've tried anything. Running the projects from the thunderbolt drive. Running them from my internal SSD (312GB free from 500GB), with or without the usb hub. No results.

I've also tried disabling the Battery Management as i see in my Console when the glitches are happening that it checks the battery and does something with the cell 4.

I can not find any solution or explanation about that in the web. I've spoken with Apple Customer support with no solutions by their end. Suggested me to run same ''problematic'' projects from another user on my MBP. I've tried that too. No luck. The only clue that i've got from another professional music producer/engineer is that Apple suggested him to change the battery and now everything works great as he faced the same problems with Avid Pro Tools too.

PLEASE if anyone of you have sorted that out somehow or even know what might causes cpu overloads/spikes and anything related with ''skipping cycle due to overload'' let me know and give me your knowledge. It would be so helpful.

Thank you for you time.
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidor View Post
...I'm experiencing lot of CPU Spikes using Ableton

Looks like you've already tried a few things, like logging into a new user account. When you did that, did you create a new project to reproduce the issue, or use the original ones? If you did the latter, try to create a new project, and see if the issue occurs.

In general, I'd proceed systematically:
- make sure all software and drivers are up to date (e.g latest Ableton version, latest plug-in versions, etc.)
- find out if it affects all Ableton projects, or only some of them
- then see if it affects only Ableton, or all DAWs
- see if it occurs when you use internal audio instead of the audio interface
- see if it's user specific or system wide (> looks like you already took this step)
- determine if it's a hardware or software issue: install a fresh clean OS on an external disk (this could even be a USB stick), install Ableton and drivers for your interface (nothing else) on the new OS, create a new project, test.
If you still see the issue under these conditions, it points to a hardware issue (the vast majority of all issues are software issues, and can be resolved by software troubleshooting). If you don't see the issue, try to further narrow down the root cause. Install plug ins one by one, see if you can trigger the issue, etc.

The purpose of all these steps is to get a better idea of where the root cause lies.
Example: if the issue does not occur when you use internal audio, you know it's not a hardware issue, it's not an issue with your user account (e.g. Preferences), not an issue with Ableton, not an issue with your project. The next meaningful step in that scenario would be to remove the drivers for your interface, reboot, re-install the drivers, test.
Old 14th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Looks like you've already tried a few things, like logging into a new user account. When you did that, did you create a new project to reproduce the issue, or use the original ones? If you did the latter, try to create a new project, and see if the issue occurs.

In general, I'd proceed systematically:
- make sure all software and drivers are up to date (e.g latest Ableton version, latest plug-in versions, etc.)
- find out if it affects all Ableton projects, or only some of them
- then see if it affects only Ableton, or all DAWs
- see if it occurs when you use internal audio instead of the audio interface
- see if it's user specific or system wide (> looks like you already took this step)
- determine if it's a hardware or software issue: install a fresh clean OS on an external disk (this could even be a USB stick), install Ableton and drivers for your interface (nothing else) on the new OS, create a new project, test.
If you still see the issue under these conditions, it points to a hardware issue (the vast majority of all issues are software issues, and can be resolved by software troubleshooting). If you don't see the issue, try to further narrow down the root cause. Install plug ins one by one, see if you can trigger the issue, etc.

The purpose of all these steps is to get a better idea of where the root cause lies.
Example: if the issue does not occur when you use internal audio, you know it's not a hardware issue, it's not an issue with your user account (e.g. Preferences), not an issue with Ableton, not an issue with your project. The next meaningful step in that scenario would be to remove the drivers for your interface, reboot, re-install the drivers, test.
These are all good suggestions, but they won't help with the coreaudio overload problem of the 2018 macbook pro.
It is a problem with how the new T2 chip handles its SMC related tasks and supposedly apple knows about it and is working on a fix.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I just now see the guy has a 2015 MBP
Old 17th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklilyorchard View Post
Mojave is no where near ready for DAW and audio interfaces. My Motu Ultralite Mk3s dont even have recognized inputs. Outs are fine but ins are not. I will wait until public release but even then I am going to have a boot drive with high sierra standing by.
I'm experiencing EXACTLY this, with perhaps a twist:

In Ableton 10.0.1, I'm getting no audio inputs from either a Behringer U-PHORIA 4i/4o or Scarlett 2i/2o even though the outputs work fine.

But audio comes in from fine using literally any other DAW-type method—Bitwig, for example, records audio in fine. Even the basic MacOS Sound Prefs pane is able to register audio in. It's only in Ableton that apparently audio in isn't working after upgrade to Mojave.

Not sure what to do...? Any news here from you?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

This is a coreaudio software bug, apple confirmed as much to me. They are being coy and not wanting to admit the issue. The sad reality is apple doesn’t care about software quality control right now because they are in the process of migrating macOS to ARM for their notebooks and ditching intel entirely in 2020. This is the only explanation for such glaring bugs and oversights in their software from the past several years. This bug and many others have existed for years and apple has done nothing to fix them. Face it apple has abandoned their pro user base, it’s time to move to a Hackintosh setup, windows, or Linux.

All you old timers saying it must be a hardware issue need to wake up and read up on apple in 2018. These machines are not your daddy’s iMac or Mac Pro cheese grater tower you ran your f*cking HD rig on for 15 years. This is a new company developing software for a completely differently platform that does not give a f*ck about pro audio as a use case, much less a professional one. I’ve reproduced this issue on several MacBook pros in 2 different apple stores here in the Bay Area, this is a widespread issue that they are undoubetdly aware of but are CHOOSING not to dedicate resources to fixing because those resources are being diverted elsewhere. If you call apple they will not admit any of this and give you the run around, you can even get a new computer if you know how to work the system but that will not fix the problem. The average person doesn’t care about these issues and unless you are an ex apple employee (hint hint ahem) you cannot read the signs of a situation like this to figure out what’s really going on because apple is so good at obfuscation, secrecy, and deception, they’ve been doing it for decades. However the writing is on the wall and if you care to dig a little deeper you can see there are mentions of this issue going back 2 years even on retina MacBook pros, likely related to the spectre/meltdown firmware patch.

Bottom line is if you have a working Mac then great don’t update it because everything else going forward will not be reliable. And if you need a new computer right now today you better look elsewhere if you call yourself a professional.

Lastly let me say this particular issue probably will get fixed eventually but do you have time to wait around for that to happen? I don’t. And more than that it’s an unacceptable situation given the premium pricing and implied social contract of sufficient beta testing being carried out in exchange for the aforementioned premium price. If you’re ok with that you have Stockholm syndrome.

Do yourself a favor and check out a thinkpad p1, hp elitebook/zbook, or a 3xs laptop from scan audio and GET BACK TO WORK!
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Apple has completely lost it in 2018.

Again.

Just like they did in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998,...
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and check out a thinkpad p1, hp elitebook/zbook, or a 3xs laptop from scan audio and GET BACK TO WORK!
At last an unbiased, well thought out opinion.
Oh wait, is it just a personal opinion? A rant without any evidence backing up the claims? Wow, now I understand.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

It’s easy to spot those who waste time arguing on forums because they don’t actually have much work going on versus those who pop their head in to research and solve issues when they need a new machine. The former usually aren’t very good problem solvers, technicians, or musicians the insight and knowledge gained by the sharing of the latter type is what makes putting up with the otherwise toxic dominant environment on a site like this that the former creates. Only then can the astute observer harness and synthesize the knowledge gained from those who share it to create their own tools to make new and unique (r)evolutionary creations while the bottomfeeders work to pervert the very existence of truth itself. It’s no wonder audio is such a mess these days, alchemy is a messy process when one is not whole
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The former usually aren’t very good problem solvers
Completely agree. You know the type. They spin the same bizarre 'Apple is doomed', 'Apple has lost it' nonsense and conspiracy theories year after year, in thread after thread, rather than taking a systematic, technical approach to a very common - and in most cases easy to resolve - issue like CPU spikes in audio.
Old 31st October 2018
Here for the gear
10.14.1 released. as always, they don't say anything about any bugs fixed...
Tomorrow gotta give it a good run & will let you know guys what I'll come up with. Hopefully the wait is over. Otherwise, really, I wouldn't believe that they'll roll out new "creative" mac mini, new air, lick every hole of professionals and make a presentation in a concert hall, all of that just to fake that they actually care.
Definitely it's an iPhone company right now, but this new mac mini gives some good hope. (air 2 is a crap instead) I mean, a company can't update most of it's pro and non pro computer lineup and make it almost useless for audio. So, fingers crossed...
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8SlaiN8 View Post
10.14.1 released. as always, they don't say anything about any bugs fixed...
Tomorrow gotta give it a good run & will let you know guys what I'll come up with. Hopefully the wait is over. Otherwise, really, I wouldn't believe that they'll roll out new "creative" mac mini, new air, lick every hole of professionals and make a presentation in a concert hall, all of that just to fake that they actually care.
Definitely it's an iPhone company right now, but this new mac mini gives some good hope. (air 2 is a crap instead) I mean, a company can't update most of it's pro and non pro computer lineup and make it almost useless for audio. So, fingers crossed...

hahahahahahahaha

10.14.1 same issue
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search